End of Dragons Hook

1 hour ago, Linken.6345 said:

Sounded like you were still playing core all classes, mirage is a elite spec so your first post is kinda confusing.

How do you figure I was still playing core? I said I was playing Chronomancer before moving on to Mirage. Neither of those are core. But again...off topic.

59 minutes ago, Chaotic.9760 said:

How do you figure I was still playing core? I said I was playing Chronomancer before moving on to Mirage. Neither of those are core. But again...off topic.

The post I responed to you wrote this

59 minutes ago, Chaotic.9760 said:

but I hardly ever touch the elite specializations because they're a sidestep for my characters, not a progressing forward step for them. And I spent the better part of a half decade working towards my first and only legendary for my Mesmer

Cant see how people would not think your a core mesmer.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Chaotic.9760 said:

Sorry, I thought I explained my point of view clearly. I've never played an MMO outside of GW2 so I'm personally not going by anything other than what ANET has given me over the years. I guess they've kind of set up an internal expectation on what the expansions should have vs what the living world seasons have. Going by the Guild Wars 2 Wiki itself this is what I'm seeing for each expansion:

Heart of Thorns:

- Obligatory story/lore/new maps

- Obligatory PvP/WvW updates and additions

- New Fractals

- New legendary equipment

- Nine elite specializations

- The mastery system

- Gliding

- New profession: Revenant

- Guild Halls

- Raids

Path of Fire:

- New Fractals

- New Raids

- New Guild Hall

- Mounts

- Strike missions

End of Dragons:

- New Guild Hall

- New strike missions

- New mounts

- Skiffs

- Fishing

Bold items are new features unique to the respective expansion. Everything else is new content for a previously released feature. Looking at just the bold items, to me, it seems as though EoD is a bit lackluster. We've gotten new mounts in the living world seasons so if skiffs (arguably a mount) and siege turtles are the tent pole features of the next big expansion, then yes, I'm left a bit disappointed and wondering what the hook is supposed to be. Things like new maps/story and elite specializations have become the base line expectation of expansions, but they shouldn't hold the entire product up.

Except Strike Missions were introduced with IBS, not PoF. Ya know a living world update full season later.

Moreso EoD does not bring just "new mounts" but expands greatly on what mounts can do - PoF mounts are pretty much only mobility tools, and EoD mounts expands that system into additional functions, like actual combat mount (siege turtle).

Bonus points, since you already assigned Strikes - LWS addition - as expansion feature: EoD is going to revamp rewards structure for strike missions, and does it from the get go, so I would say that EoD has a greater hold to claim for strikes to be it's thing than PoF (when PoF launched nobody was thinking of strike missions, again it was IBS idea for "expac worthy content within LWS updates")

• Like 1

So far the main hook for me is seeing/exploring Cantha. Also looking forward to the story plus having my feet perched up on the skiff, sipping on a cold one and casting for that ever-elusive crappie. :classic_biggrin:

For HoT it was the jungle maps and difficulty increase (made it a challenge) much more than gliding. For PoF it was again the new maps but also mounts, love how well they were implemented.

8 hours ago, Chaotic.9760 said:

We are getting way off topic here. I don't mind side movement in GW2 and I know it prides itself in it. My point with this post is that the side movement stuff we're getting in the next expansion is not as exciting as the stuff in previous expansions and I thought it odd. That's all.

I hear you about the Elite specs. I know they must be a humongous amount of work for Anet, however the first 5 years I have been sticking to a Condi Ranger, then at some point changed to a Condi Scourge and that is that.  I never play other Classes or Builds, I am one to follow some Metabuild that ticks all the right boxes for me and stick with it. Could not care less about these Beta's too.  However I know many players absolutely love to delve deep into each Classes builds and I understand that.   

I agree with you that the side-movement stuff in EoD seems lacking. Fishing probably comes closest, since that feature will make me revisit many places in the world probably, for a couple of Fish collections. I like revisiting old places with a purpose, not sure about the Longevity of it but we will see.  Maybe they made the best "minigame in a game" ever. 

9 hours ago, Linken.6345 said:

The post I responed to you wrote this

Cant see how people would not think your a core mesmer.

Ahh, I apologize then, you are correct that I was not clear. What I meant was that, generally, after playing HoT, my main professions had already gotten an elite specialization and from that point on elite specs felt like side steps I would mostly never touch. With a few exceptions like Mirage.

I love side step content in GW2. But i loved working towards level 80, then getting chronomancer, working towards the glider mastery, unlocking mounts, then sidestep to mirage, then finally getting my legendary weapon, now working towards other legendary items, etc. Now that I have all those things, I'm less likely to be excited for more of all those things. I don't want a different legendary weapon, or a different elite spec, or a different mount, etc. I want the next thing for my character to work towards or collect. I guess it's fishing, but that doesn't seem as exciting, is all.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Tyncale.1629 said:

I hear you about the Elite specs. I know they must be a humongous amount of work for Anet, however the first 5 years I have been sticking to a Condi Ranger, then at some point changed to a Condi Scourge and that is that.  I never play other Classes or Builds, I am one to follow some Metabuild that ticks all the right boxes for me and stick with it. Could not care less about these Beta's too.  However I know many players absolutely love to delve deep into each Classes builds and I understand that.   

I agree with you that the side-movement stuff in EoD seems lacking. Fishing probably comes closest, since that feature will make me revisit many places in the world probably, for a couple of Fish collections. I like revisiting old places with a purpose, not sure about the Longevity of it but we will see.  Maybe they made the best "minigame in a game" ever. 

I'm glad to hear I'm not entirely alone. I don't mean to throw EoD under a bus. I was only curious if others feel the same and/or think we should expect more than fishing for new content.

As others have mentioned, I guess the skiff and turtle could be consider new because of how different they are to other mounts, but we'll have to wait and see. I generally play GW alone so I wouldn't get much use out of them, but that's an entirely different topic that I'm sure will get more 'confused' emojis. Haha

14 hours ago, Chaotic.9760 said:

Sorry, I thought I explained my point of view clearly. I've never played an MMO outside of GW2 so I'm personally not going by anything other than what ANET has given me over the years. I guess they've kind of set up an internal expectation on what the expansions should have vs what the living world seasons have. Going by the Guild Wars 2 Wiki itself this is what I'm seeing for each expansion:

Heart of Thorns:

- New Fractals

- The mastery system

- Gliding

- New profession: Revenant

- Guild Halls

- Raids

Path of Fire:

- New Fractals

- New Raids

- New Guild Hall

- Mounts

- Strike missions

End of Dragons:

- New Guild Hall

- New strike missions

- New mounts

- Skiffs

- Fishing

Bold items are new features unique to the respective expansion. Everything else is new content for a previously released feature. Looking at just the bold items, to me, it seems as though EoD is a bit lackluster. We've gotten new mounts in the living world seasons so if skiffs (arguably a mount) and siege turtles are the tent pole features of the next big expansion, then yes, I'm left a bit disappointed and wondering what the hook is supposed to be. Things like new maps/story and elite specializations have become the base line expectation of expansions, but they shouldn't hold the entire product up.

As others have said, perhaps I'm expecting too much and this really is an expansion more focused on the story and map exploration, but for me, I'm not going to have much else to enjoy along the way. Mileage will vary, but I hardly ever touch the elite specializations because they're a sidestep for my characters, not a progressing forward step for them. And I spent the better part of a half decade working towards my first and only legendary for my Mesmer so I don't see myself doing that again no matter how many they release. I'm just wondering what is suppose to be the big thing here. Fishing ain't it.

You might want to check what an "expansion" is in the first place then. They're also adding multiplayer mounts, but I guess because it's not a whole new "group of content", it somehow doesn't count as new? Mounts largly rendered the previous expansion's movement mechanics obsolete, expecting that to happen with every new expansion doesn't seem to be reasonable to me. Not only that, but you're talking about "needing more" and some things being 'baseline", while apparently you don't even play elitespecs (and from the sound of it, just stick to one class) -which sure is a valid option, but you're basically complaining about low amount of new content while you're actively holding yourself back from even playing what you can already access.

And you didn't really respond: What "hook" exactly do you need?

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

11 minutes ago, Sobx.1758 said:

You might want to check what an "expansion" is in the first place then. They're also adding multiplayer mounts, but I guess because it's not a whole new "group of content", it somehow doesn't count as new? Mounts largly rendered the previous expansion's movement mechanics obsolete, expecting that to happen with every new expansion doesn't seem to be reasonable to me. Not only that, but you're talking about "needing more" and some things being 'baseline", while apparently you don't even play elitespecs (and from the sound of it, just stick to one class) -which sure is a valid option, but you're basically complaining about low amount of new content while you're actively holding yourself back from even playing what you can already access.

And you didn't really respond: What "hook" exactly do you need?

I was using my Mesmer as an example of one of my professions I play. I have one of every profession and generally play three at any given time. The problem with the elite specs is that I play PvE mostly and they're probably more interesting if I played PvP. Not Anets fault though.

I didn't specify what hook I specifically need because I'm not sure. I'm only surprised that fishing is the only 100% new feature being added. That seems like the kind of update a living season would have, not a massive expansion. And I feel like there should be something more.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

Of course fishing! You can catch fish all over Tyria and compare them with your mates, isn’t that amazing? I think it will change the meta considerably and introduce a strong inflow of players in.

Plus you can post the pics of your toon with the fish on your Instagram and tinder

Edited by Mik.3401
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Chaotic.9760 said:

I was using my Mesmer as an example of one of my professions I play. I have one of every profession and generally play three at any given time. The problem with the elite specs is that I play PvE mostly and they're probably more interesting if I played PvP. Not Anets fault though.

I didn't specify what hook I specifically need because I'm not sure. I'm only surprised that fishing is the only 100% new feature being added. That seems like the kind of update a living season would have, not a massive expansion. And I feel like there should be something more.

So "the hook" is the expansion itself with everything expansions deliver 😉 

• Confused 2

5 minutes ago, Chaotic.9760 said:

I think multi-player 'mounts' (skiff/turtle) is new, and something that's been requested for years.  Also, combat Mount is new.  But, each have their own opinion.

Who knows?  There may be something hidden, like there was in Path of Fire.

There might be some things that some will consider a 'hook' that the Devs just weren't ready to reveal yet.

Personally, I don't care; I'm just looking forward to a lot of new content to enjoy.  Especially, as we won't have had much (if any) new content for many, many months leading up to the release of End of Dragons. 

• Like 3