Help with Celestial gear

nkapz.5204

Hi all, returning player from 2012 here. I currently an following a condi daredevil open world build from metabattle. The creator suggests celestial gear.

i watched a bunch of youtube videos and read lots of gw2 & reddit forums on the ascended gear crafting, and got lots of mixed opinions. Some suggested just going for exotic. Some suggested getting cheaper ascended then just converting it. Some suggested just going for the ascended gear I want. I know celestial is craft only and time-gated. Is it worth the hassle or are there better options? Thanks!

If its between crafting the exotic vs crafting the ascended, then probably just go right to ascended.

However, if you have been spending much time in Verdant Brink, you could get the stat-selectable exotic Bladed Armor from there, and over time, replace pieces with ascended pieces.

Everything but the chest piece can be bought with VB currency. The chest piece is rewarded in a Bladed Armor Box after doing the VB night meta.   So, its essentially free, it's mostly a matter of finding a VB night meta occurring and joining in.

Edited by TheAgedGnome.7520
  • Like 2

I'm going to assume you mean this build:

https://metabattle.com/wiki/Build:Daredevil_-_Condi_Daredevil

In which case, celestial is a gear alternative. The actual builds use either Viper or Trailblazer, so you are not required to go with the more time gated option of celestial.

That said, if this is only for open world content, you might just as well alter the build and use Rabid (condition damage, precision, toughness) and Dire (condition damage, toughness, vitality) and even splash some Bringer (expertise, precision, vitality) in. Those stat combinations are cheap to acquire via the TP, and will do the trick for open world content.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, nkapz.5204 said:

Hi all, returning player from 2012 here. I currently an following a condi daredevil open world build from metabattle. The creator suggests celestial gear.

i watched a bunch of youtube videos and read lots of gw2 & reddit forums on the ascended gear crafting, and got lots of mixed opinions. Some suggested just going for exotic. Some suggested getting cheaper ascended then just converting it. Some suggested just going for the ascended gear I want. I know celestial is craft only and time-gated. Is it worth the hassle or are there better options? Thanks!

You could probably get up and running with some kinda cheap named set. I dont know the build but just spit balling I would say you could probably do ok fine w a dire set or a mix of dire and rabid, carrion or renegades depending the runes you select. It might sound gimpy but it doesnt need to be. Most of those kinda builds suggest swapping out vipers for trailblazer to gain toughness and vitality in exchange for power and prec since they are not that important in many condi builds. If that is the case you could just get a cheap named Dire set and prob be doin pretty good. carrion if you want power over toughness, etc.

Most named sets are cheap so they can be nice for trying things out. https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Named_armor

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Celestial is pretty good  these days, but more of an alternative to having a pure healer and not a replacement for a damage dealer. It's good in open world.

Being a core stat, you should just craft it directly if ascended. The reason why people bring up stat changing is that non-core stats often have some odd way of getting the insignias/inscriptions that requires work. But you can just make the exotic inscription/insignia to stat change.

That being said exotic celestial is probably not worth the cost

You'd be better off buying exotic rabid weapons/armor and getting celestial trinkets. Ascended Celestial Trinkets can be more easily acquired through living story or the laurel vendor and do not require crafting.

Basically if you do want to get all those charged crystals, save them for the ascended versions.

DO NOT, for whatever reason, craft celestial exotic trinkets.

Edited by ArchonWing.9480
  • Like 2

I'm not gonna stop you from doing what you want but you should know that many people thing Death Blossom sucks, the animation lock feels super clunky and very little about the skill justifies it. So at least try the skills out a bit before you plink down a lot of resources on the gear.

Thief has Invigorating Precision so you can get massive value out of just building for high strike damage instead of trying to get your sustain from Toughness and Healing Power (similar to Scrapper with their barrier spam).

You can get full stat-select Exotic armor in about 2 hours in Verdant Brink, just from doing events and opening cargos.

The chestpiece isn't available from the vendor, so you can either do the meta and hope for T4, craft it, or play WvW to the completion of Bronze tier (takes only a single night) to get a Warlord's Armor Chest.

A few stat-select Exotic weapons can just be bought, put in "Iron Legion' on the TP. I know this at least incldues Staff and Pistol, although a bit expensive.There's also a few weapons directly available with Celestial stats, like Crystal Guardian (GS), Stardust (shortbow) and Shiverstone (Mace).

All other weapons have to be crafted, but you can use Bandit stat-select lv80 Rares in the meantime.

Trinkets are readily available for Laurals, Pristine Fractal Relics, Guild Commendations, etc. You can also just farm the LS3/4 maps and buy stat-select Ascended trinkets from the merchants.

Celestial remains one of the best backup gears in the game since it works for all builds. I don't use it in PvE except maybe some trinkets to round out my stats (e.g on Ele) but I use it heavily in WvW on various classes.

I still have a condi Daredevil myself and I believe she ran Rampager+DireRabid (Ascended-only combination) but that was before Celestial got Expertise added so I'm not sure how it performs in comparison now. Just keep in mind this build isn't meta and you won't be allowed into instanced content.

Edited by Hannelore.8153
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

Every time the topic of specific stats on exotic armor comes up, I try to bring up the following:

Lunatic Armor - craftable exotic armor with selectable stats

These require Mad King festival materials, which you can get massive amounts of during the event.  Stockpile them in late october so that you have the ability to craft the above armor whenever you need to.

The recipes are available only during Mad King's Festival

I personally advise against celestial thief, but if that's the gear you want this is one of the easiest ways to get it.  

For trinkets, just get the ascended ones as the time it takes to get exotic celestial trinkets is about the same.

Exotic weapons with celestial stats can be bought on the TP.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/29/2021 at 3:24 AM, Hannelore.8153 said:

Celestial remains one of the best backup gears in the game since it works for all builds.

One should mention, though, that it's also very weak damage-wise, so I can't in good conscience recommend it to anyone who prefers their enemies to die quickly.