Please lower the cost of Infiltrator's Arrow please.

Arolandis.8360

I just came back to the game and started playing around PoF's release. I started off mostly with sPVP because it was a quick way to try out all the classes and what they have to offer along with the battle system. I don't really do sPVP anymore though, it was why I started the game but WvW is why I stay (I like the story and world, too). It gives so much more freedom and I like the blend of PVE and PVP elements, and having to get my own gear sets to work towards than having all my stats handed to me. Anyway, I played most of the classes and the only one that really feels exciting and dangerous to play for me is thief. I say dangerous as in you gotta REALLY know your stuff or you're gonna die. A lot. lol

I've been keeping up with nerfs and changes to all the classes, but I didn't mind a lot of the Thief nerfs and the Marked crap in WvW because I just had to adapt and I was fine. BUT. I'm NOT fine with my kitten bow's shadowstep move being 8 freakin' Inititative. ESPECIALLY if for whatever reason, you wanted to not use Trickery which is already pretty mandatory for every build. Anytime I try to build around not using Trickery the build ends up lacking in at least one thing that's crucial. If not lowering the cost of Infiltrator's Arrow, maybe add a little more Initiative regen in other underused traitlines? I don't know. It just feels bad. It's only 900 range (a whooole other issue for me). And other skills also had cost boosts that feel bad. Nerfs also kind of killed my old love of Mesmer. Mostly because other traits that were lacking didn't get the boosts it needed to really go wild with builds, because there would always be something important missing to make them effective, plus the whole one dodge thing on Mirage...

I know a lot of people will probably disagree because they don't like dying to a good Thief or dealing with one running away which is kind of like losing as a Thief, anyway, but I really care more about having fun and it's a lot harder to do when you have so many limits already imposed on you. So please revert or scale back some of the nerfs.

Maybe also make Sword a bit better, it also got worse over the last few years.

Edit: Oh and in a regular patch please add off-hand Sword. It's really hard to get excited about transmogging/glamouring my Thief when it has so few interesting weapons. I'd actually buy more gems then, lol.

Edited by Arolandis.8360
  • Like 4

Its unlikely to be reverted, Thieves were just using it to do too many things. When you look at it from the perspective of a single skill, its not a problem, but when you combine it with 3-4 other movement skills you can move far enough way to get out of combat and regenerate all your health in mere seconds.

The problem of Thief OOC reset and then re-engage became so toxic that this skill had to be severely nerfed. Re-engagement became so powerful that it wasn't uncommon to have a Thief following you around the entire map, OOC'ing when threatened, then coming back at you, over and over.

(The functionality was replaced by Shadow Portal, which is 5k range but on a restricted cooldown, which allows for a more strategic use of escape/re-engagement when necessary.)

Yes, it hurts good Thieves who play to actually have fights with other players and not just escape every single situation that they can't easily win, but unfortunately that's how alot of nerfs hit stealth classes like Mesmer and Thief. Other players will abuse all their tools to the max and then you find yourself stuck in combat without them.

One improvement to this skill would be to make it give most/all its Initiative back if you port towards the enemy instead of away, making it useful as an engagement skill, but expensive to escape with.

As you can tell by the name. that's how it was originally meant to be used.

As for Sword, its quite possibly the most useful weapon in Thief's kit. The #2 skill lets you port back and forth between two locations while healing (with traits), so its considered to be in a fairly good place rn.

Edited by Hannelore.8153
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Ah... that makes sense. I always end up taking Daredevil because of the extra distance I can travel on my dodge, and kind of wanted to be able to do a similar thing with Core, because I get kind of tired of using DD all the time and I struggle without the mobility. Probably a L2P issue for me. I mostly roam, but I have a high success with D/P DD, but almost no success with S/D Core. ><

I think I'm just not very good with Sword/Dagger no matter how much I've practiced with it, lol.

After 9 years they nerf infiltrator's arrow... still not used to only getting 2 in a row instead of 3. Such a dumb nerf, and no reason given. Thief's only advantage over other classes is mobility and even that gap is narrowing as other classes gain more mobility.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

12 hours ago, Hannelore.8153 said:

Its unlikely to be reverted, Thieves were just using it to do too many things. When you look at it from the perspective of a single skill, its not a problem, but when you combine it with 3-4 other movement skills you can move far enough way to get out of combat and regenerate all your health in mere seconds.

The problem of Thief OOC reset and then re-engage became so toxic that this skill had to be severely nerfed. Re-engagement became so powerful that it wasn't uncommon to have a Thief following you around the entire map, OOC'ing when threatened, then coming back at you, over and over.

(The functionality was replaced by Shadow Portal, which is 5k range but on a restricted cooldown, which allows for a more strategic use of escape/re-engagement when necessary.)

Yes, it hurts good Thieves who play to actually have fights with other players and not just escape every single situation that they can't easily win, but unfortunately that's how alot of nerfs hit stealth classes like Mesmer and Thief. Other players will abuse all their tools to the max and then you find yourself stuck in combat without them.

One improvement to this skill would be to make it give most/all its Initiative back if you port towards the enemy instead of away, making it useful as an engagement skill, but expensive to escape with.

As you can tell by the name. that's how it was originally meant to be used.

As for Sword, its quite possibly the most useful weapon in Thief's kit. The #2 skill lets you port back and forth between two locations while healing (with traits), so its considered to be in a fairly good place rn.

They could have made small changes to a number of skills in that sequence or even just one instead of busting the flow of the class by being cost out of gameplay and leaving people with nothing at key moments too often if they don't pigeon hole into one or maybe two builds. I agree, it's not likely to be reverted, but not for any good reasons. There doesn't need to be a gimmick to return initiative as a fix to a bad change to a skills Initiative cost. 

• Like 2

On 8/26/2021 at 11:48 AM, Luto.1938 said:

After 9 years they nerf infiltrator's arrow... still not used to only getting 2 in a row instead of 3. Such a dumb nerf, and no reason given. Thief's only advantage over other classes is mobility and even that gap is narrowing as other classes gain more mobility.

Imagine waiting for your initiative to regen while chasing after Scrapper with almost perma super speed in WvW