Core Phalanx Warrior for Zerging

Grand Marshal.4098

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PKwEMiNssB2I7iRxIxiW6fpD-zVRYBBLG1sTpJJQmigYWA5ME04BIgeL6PDA-w

I really wanted to test out a core warrior build not revolving around either the dps Berserker offers or the boonstrip Spellbreaker offers. With stability being in abundance and superspeed as well these days, obviously roles such as Banner frontline warrior, have died through the years. So I wanted to experiment with a Core warrior build meant to be of use in a zerg, bringind DPS, boon support and massive might generation for range spikes.

You may ask why longbow, but believe it or not the ticking power dmg on burst is very good against enemies and clouds and the burning can slowly eat away the health of downies, making sure the cleave is still there even after your zerg moves a bit further. Sword leap is for positioning, warhorn for buffing mid bomb. That's classic. Lonbow offers some highly needed range which only zerker longbow can bring to the table, and Phalanx Strength (although it could use a buff in the applied might duration) easily gets your teammates to 25 might and with some fury from warhorn of FGJ, you can easily boost your party to top dps dealers better than a Herald. 

Balanced stance over frenzy, for less might but more survivability, endure pain can work too. Arms is a must cause of the lesser signet of might proc for unblockables, which you greatly need over strength dmg modifiers. Banner can be replaced for Signet of Rage for even more spike'd might share, or use it as a heal skill when around allies.

Ultimately, this build will perma-set your party at max dmg modifiers (and if your party knows how to dodge bubbles and avoid bombs, you'll hardly get corrupted ast all) and will get you top 5 to top 10 DPS players. Fun little idea I tested 2 nights now in guild raids and I'm pretty happy with it as it competed and overpowered heralds in both boon application and dmg (if played correctly). 

Would this make it into a "meta"? Probably no. Do we care about the meta after you got 3 parties in said comp? I don't lmao. Try it and tell mer your thoughts or if you had fun playing!

Edited by Grand Marshal.4098
New link with gear changes
  • Like 1

im really sad on warriors, i mean this class deserves a buff, there cc dmg were cut off, they are more on melee but kinda slow on its animation, easy to dodge and countered by other class ... not even viable in meta high rank pvp, they are very slow and of all that said people still say they are balanced and always the player using it to blame. Come on is there a particular place that this class can excell?

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Grand Marshal.4098 said:

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PKwEMiNssB2I7iRxIxiW6fpD-zVRYBBLG1sTpJJQmigYWA5ME04BIgeL6PDA-w

I really wanted to test out a core warrior build not revolving around either the dps Berserker offers or the boonstrip Spellbreaker offers. With stability being in abundance and superspeed as well these days, obviously roles such as Banner frontline warrior, have died through the years. So I wanted to experiment with a Core warrior build meant to be of use in a zerg, bringind DPS, boon support and massive might generation for range spikes.

You may ask why longbow, but believe it or not the ticking power dmg on burst is very good against enemies and clouds and the burning can slowly eat away the health of downies, making sure the cleave is still there even after your zerg moves a bit further. Sword leap is for positioning, warhorn for buffing mid bomb. That's classic. Lonbow offers some highly needed range which only zerker longbow can bring to the table, and Phalanx Strength (although it could use a buff in the applied might duration) easily gets your teammates to 25 might and with some fury from warhorn of FGJ, you can easily boost your party to top dps dealers better than a Herald. 

Balanced stance over frenzy, for less might but more survivability, endure pain can work too. Arms is a must cause of the lesser signet of might proc for unblockables, which you greatly need over strength dmg modifiers. Banner can be replaced for Signet of Rage for even more spike'd might share, or use it as a heal skill when around allies.

Ultimately, this build will perma-set your party at max dmg modifiers (and if your party knows how to dodge bubbles and avoid bombs, you'll hardly get corrupted ast all) and will get you top 5 to top 10 DPS players. Fun little idea I tested 2 nights now in guild raids and I'm pretty happy with it as it competed and overpowered heralds in both boon application and dmg (if played correctly). 

Would this make it into a "meta"? Probably no. Do we care about the meta after you got 3 parties in said comp? I don't lmao. Try it and tell mer your thoughts or if you had fun playing!

Really neat idea, Grand Marshal; thanks for this!

I was wondering what you might think of running it with Celestial gear. This would give you improved boon duration, condi duration, and condi dmg. Since you are primarily boon support and your main dps output seems to be coming from Longbow bursts, this might be helpful here.

You could even try it with berserker instead of arms for added DPS (although the longbow burst isn't as easy to use as combustive shot, imo).

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PKwEMiNssB2I7iRxIx0/SvVC-zVRYVRBvYEDnSTSgMFBxsAyZIohDQA9W0fGA-w

Just an idea. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CalmTheStorm.2364 said:

I was wondering what you might think of running it with Celestial gear. This would give you improved boon duration, condi duration, and condi dmg. Since you are primarily boon support and your main dps output seems to be coming from Longbow bursts, this might be helpful here.

You could even try it with berserker instead of arms for added DPS (although the longbow burst isn't as easy to use as combustive shot, imo).

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PKwEMiNssB2I7iRxIx0/SvVC-zVRYVRBvYEDnSTSgMFBxsAyZIohDQA9W0fGA-w

Just an idea. 

I pretty much have been running GM's build with Celestial gear and shield instead of warhorn  and top/bot/mid in Arms for the past month.

I out longbow'd a Soulbeast with it 😉. Its good at killing people who try to runaway/kite. It shines during longer engagements, and will make people bail on trying to fight you (see first point hehe).

Celestial is pretty good on warrior in WvW.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, CalmTheStorm.2364 said:

Just an idea. 

Well let's say that my build craft suffers from me being unable to get the gear I need. I've said it to Lan before lol. Basically I'm restricted to power dps gear rn, but the main thought behind this build is to use the cleave on longbow burst in pulls and downies as well as to blast it for area might generation to cover up for the application of FGJ and SoM and/or Banner SoR. 

Your tips on gear will def be the cherry on the top to make a viable Core zerg warrior that may be accepted by zergs! 

I was surprised to see myself in closed guild raids surpassing the dps of DPS Spellbreakers massively (almost by 3 times compared to a top spellbreaker at one point of a prolonged SM Lord room fight), 90% of the heralds and Scourges and be able to constantly maintain my Rev and Scourge at max might output (Rev helped a bit there, but was mainly in dwarf stance since I had Might covered) making us the strongest party in the squad. 

Not to mention how I run marauders and your proposed Celestial is basically more tanky and I can probably drop the Durability rune for that setup. 

Edit: your Berserker build is something that I'm definitely going to try soon. It's just that my idea of a berserker in a squad is DPS and only dps which is why I avoid tactics and prefer Strength with Top, bottom, top traits for decent self sustain and dmg. 

Other than that, perhaps SoM over frenzy, but since the LB primal is not a projectile ig it's not rly needed. 

Edit 2: wish I had my Arcdps data to show, but I didn't bother much, until I realized that the build was working a bit too well compared to scrapped ideas in the past like Shout Zerker, or banner Spellbreaker. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Grand Marshal.4098 said:

Well let's say that my build craft suffers from me being unable to get the gear I need. I've said it to Lan before lol. Basically I'm restricted to power dps gear rn, but the main thought behind this build is to use the cleave on longbow burst in pulls and downies as well as to blast it for area might generation to cover up for the application of FGJ and SoM and/or Banner SoR. 

Your tips on gear will def be the cherry on the top to make a viable Core zerg warrior that may be accepted by zergs! 

I was surprised to see myself in closed guild raids surpassing the dps of DPS Spellbreakers massively (almost by 3 times compared to a top spellbreaker at one point of a prolonged SM Lord room fight), 90% of the heralds and Scourges and be able to constantly maintain my Rev and Scourge at max might output (Rev helped a bit there, but was mainly in dwarf stance since I had Might covered) making us the strongest party in the squad. 

Not to mention how I run marauders and your proposed Celestial is basically more tanky and I can probably drop the Durability rune for that setup. 

Edit: your Berserker build is something that I'm definitely going to try soon. It's just that my idea of a berserker in a squad is DPS and only dps which is why I avoid tactics and prefer Strength with Top, bottom, top traits for decent self sustain and dmg. 

Other than that, perhaps SoM over frenzy, but since the LB primal is not a projectile ig it's not rly needed. 

Edit 2: wish I had my Arcdps data to show, but I didn't bother much, until I realized that the build was working a bit too well compared to scrapped ideas in the past like Shout Zerker, or banner Spellbreaker. 

You are very near of discovering the good build, the 'good way' my  comrade. More theorycrafting and you find the gem. I won't say to much. You asked it to me on other topic. But you already on the way  😊😊.  You are all veterans 😎.

@Lan Deathrider.5910 made a good point there, but is more and much more them the celestial equipments, celestial its like a mid term between agreesive and defensive. I won't say to much.

I think with this build you wont have any problem with roammers and zergs, if someone dare to fight you on x1 probably they will regret. Of course you aren't immortal heheeh.

Edited by Broxxgar.6801

2 minutes ago, Broxxgar.6801 said:

You are very near of discovering the good build, the 'good way' my  comrade. More theorycrafting and you find the gem. I won't say to much. You asked it to me on other topic. But you already on the way  😊😊.  You are all veterans 😎.

@Lan Deathrider.5910 made a good point there, but is more and much more them the celestial equipments, celestial its like a mid term between agreesive and defensive. I won't say to much.

I think with this build you wont have any problem with roammers and zergs. Of course you aren't immortal heheeh.

I've seen some good condi builds, Zerker and Core, that were tanky and strong. I believe they ran bits of Rampager and Dire based on their crit rates, hp pool, and amount of damage reduction they had.

• Like 1

@Lan Deathrider.5910 @Grand Marshal.4098 I was testing today a condi build to see how it works and I met berserk guy probably full zerk and offensive, he instantly bursted on me and on my engi partner and killed the engi. Them he used his heal skill to reset the burst and again give me another burst of Arc Divider. At this moment my HP was on 50% I patiente applied the condi from the bow, set the ground on fire,  I change to meele with sword, probably he laugh about my low dmg with the bow,  and again he tried to use his hundred of blades and dps with the axe. He stay in front of me with his axe and this just made the things easy I just waited a little, healead my self. Starting cast the Battle stand as his hp slowly was getting down, when he got down the Battle Stand came from the sky killed him and I ressed the enginner and that wasn't even a hard fight. He just make the things easy to me.

This  was on WvW.

Edited by Broxxgar.6801

1 hour ago, Broxxgar.6801 said:

@Lan Deathrider.5910 @Grand Marshal.4098 I was testing today a condi build to see how it works and I met berserk guy probably full zerk and offensive, he instantly bursted on me and on my engi partner and killed the engi. Them he used his heal skill to reset the burst and again give me another burst of Arc Divider. At this moment my HP was on 50% I patiente applied the condi from the bow, set the ground on fire,  I change to meele with sword, probably he laugh about my low dmg with the bow,  and again he tried to use his hundred of blades and dps with the axe. He stay in front of me with his axe and this just made the things easy I just waited a little, healead my self. Starting cast the Battle stand as his hp slowly was getting down, when he got down the Battle Stand came from the sky killed him and I ressed the enginner and that wasn't even a hard fight. He just make the things easy to me.

This  was on WvW.

Oh I don't doubt it. If anything that just goes to show how much how power damage was nerfed in relation to our condition damage.

13 minutes ago, Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

Oh I don't doubt it. If anything that just goes to show how much how power damage was nerfed in relation to our condition damage.

Probably, but the action of this Berseker just demonstre his arrogance against his enemy, he probably thought that a Core Warrior with a Bow and a Enginner would  be a easy bag for him. I easily managed the battle to my side, as he realized that my life was going down he probably got more anxious to kill me, I was slowly applying condi on him as he already used his heal skill... he paved his steps to defeat. Them he start to see the true dmg floating 😎

A well suited and a Wise Power Warrior would bring a good battle and yes can defeat a Condi one.

1 minute ago, Broxxgar.6801 said:

Probably, but the action of this Berseker just demonstre his arrogance against his enemy, he probably thought that a Core Warrior with a Bow and a Enginner would  be a easy bag for him. I easily managed the battle to my side, as he realized that my life was going down he probably got more anxious to kill me, I was slowly applying condi on him as he already used his heal skill... he paved his steps to defeat. Them he start to see the true dmg floating 😎

A well suited and a Wise Power Warrior would bring a good battle and yes can defeat a Condi one.

Well, the engineer was apparently an easy bag...

Surprised that he did not use more CC... or use Gunflame,. You should always carry a ranged option these days. Pocket Gunflames punish hard.

5 minutes ago, Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

Well, the engineer was apparently an easy bag...

Surprised that he did not use more CC... or use Gunflame,. You should always carry a ranged option these days. Pocket Gunflames punish hard.

Yeah he probably used most of his skill on the Eng. But using SoF and SoR leave you with low options for defense and even less when you swap your weapon for Axe/Axe. I could made the things even worse for him like ress back the engi hahaha. But nothing better then use a Battle Standard that kill the enemy and ress your partner at the same time. xD

1 hour ago, Broxxgar.6801 said:

Yeah he probably used most of his skill on the Eng. But using SoF and SoR leave you with low options for defense and even less when you swap your weapon for Axe/Axe. I could made the things even worse for him like ress back the engi hahaha. But nothing better then use a Battle Standard that kill the enemy and ress your partner at the same time. xD

Yeah...Not all people who play warrior actually stick around, so you'll see plenty of those interesting glasss, pve zerkers with full signets popping axe 5 on people. I see those and think to myself that they are pretty much the most easy prey..I so much prefer core warr with arms/strength/discipline and mace axe for a massive t3 skullcrack into my burst..

other than that : http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PKwAwyJlJw0YisEWJOMLtLXA-z1QY3gLJdvSJyCIzII3Qo3Ew9DQ4YA-w This is my rampager build witht he aristocracy runes for full melee ham fun. Less strong than zerker mace/shield-sword/torch but very strong still with the added advantage of the strength line. I just need 2 more aristocracy runes.

added new link

2 hours ago, Grand Marshal.4098 said:

Yeah...Not all people who play warrior actually stick around, so you'll see plenty of those interesting glasss, pve zerkers with full signets popping axe 5 on people. I see those and think to myself that they are pretty much the most easy prey..I so much prefer core warr with arms/strength/discipline and mace axe for a massive t3 skullcrack into my burst..

other than that : http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PKwAwyJlJw0YisEWJOMLtLXA-z1QY3gLJdvSJyCIzII3Qo3Ew9DQ4YA-w This is my rampager build witht he aristocracy runes for full melee ham fun. Less strong than zerker mace/shield-sword/torch but very strong still with the added advantage of the strength line. I just need 2 more aristocracy runes.

Yeah you made good of mixing hammer and ccs to apply bleeding and weakness, I tried this once in PvP and didn't worked well because as you see the dmg of the hammer decay to much, and i'm still trying to fixes this, but on PvP I have less option of mixing, and has a lot of variable to include, like my teams, maps, the enemy team. On a WvW you can be more sucesseful

And of course this less powerful than the Zerker, Zerker is another world of dmg. But that what I talk, the flexibility of Core is amazing. Try to do this on Zerker and you see that you have to give up on Discipline and 'Warrior Sprint'  trait and this is no way good.

And good that you found a standard for your condi dmg 😁.

6 hours ago, Grand Marshal.4098 said:

I really don't consider the dmg of spellbreaker very high. They can be dangerous, I have tested them a lot on PvP. But they have some problem, they aren't consistent and we all know that the SB has other function on WvW and PvP, and they do well there.

Edited by Broxxgar.6801