ANET Do not EVER do anything like LWS2 Chapter 7 again!!!!

Narathkor.8541

If I wanted to play a crappy profession like whatever the heck caithe is with crappy skills and crappy weapons i would play it, don't take my character choices and skills and familiarity from me and make me fight a boss, all for a memory, make a cinematic for memories!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 7
  • Confused 8
  • Sad 2

6 minutes ago, Randulf.7614 said:

When you play another char in later arcs, you keep your skills. Except when you play a bunny

For some reason that part of the mission is endearing. The only other time i think you play as another person is Braham? Having ele skills + his hp pool and his armor was hilariously broken.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Dante.1763 said:

For some reason that part of the mission is endearing. The only other time i think you play as another person is Braham? Having ele skills + his hp pool and his armor was hilariously broken.

Its gets even more confusing as my guardian uses his mace and shield 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Unlikely to happen again, as others said most if not all instances of you "playing" another character has been almost exclusively a cosmetic change only.
Your skills and build remain exactly the same for the most part, however there are a couple where you do also have some unique abilities or weapons which you can toggle on and off with the special action key giving you the choice of using your exact character build or a bunch of unique weapon/form skills that replace your characters weapon skills.

You can even toggle this on and off too which is really cool as it means that you get to play these missions with essentially 3 weapon sets to swap in and out of at will which is pretty awesome and I'd love to see Anet do more with this kind of thing in the future.

• Like 1

On 8/26/2021 at 11:14 AM, Narathkor.8541 said:

If I wanted to play a crappy profession like whatever the heck caithe is with crappy skills and crappy weapons i would play it, don't take my character choices and skills and familiarity from me and make me fight a boss, all for a memory, make a cinematic for memories!!!!!!!!!!!!

Caithe is a thief i believe, she just has a bunch of unique skills that player controlled thieves can't use. If i recall right (it's been years since i last played that story chapter), some of those skills are quite OP too. Like the elite skill which allows you to freely attack while remaining invisible for something like 10 seconds. Because of that, it's not a particularly difficult story chapter even if you take being forced to use an unfamiliar playstyle into account. Anyway, Anet already granted your wish. So many people who apparently couldn't get out of their comfort zone even once complained about it, that they never did that again since that one time in 2014. 😉

Edited by Sir Alric.5078
  • Like 7
  • Confused 2

20 minutes ago, Sir Alric.5078 said:

Caithe is a thief i believe, she just have a bunch of unique skills that player controlled thieves can't use. If i recall right (it's been years since i last played that story chapter), some of those skills are quite OP too. Like the elite skill which allows you to freely attack while remaining invisible for something like 10 seconds. Because of that, it's not a particularly difficult story chapter even if you take being forced to use an unfamiliar playstyle into account. Anyway, Anet already granted your wish. So many people who apparently couldn't get out of their comfort zone even once complained about it, that they never did that again since that one time in 2014. 😉

It wouldnt have been so bad if they let us

A.) Choose not use to them like they did in later episodes (a big plus from me.)

B.) Barring that choice gave us Caithes HP pool and Armor.

I ran through it on an ele with at the time exotic level zerkers gear, and not having the ele skills i was used to made me angry, since i had the HP of an ele + the armor of one.

It wasnt that it was out of my "comfort zone", it drastically changed how my character functioned without going the full way, and that was the failing. Had i been given the durability of a thief it would have been far better(and it is far better, i recently played through it on my thief and ranger. Way easier and more fun.)

Keep in mind also that it takes place before any elite specs got added, and as such those who played when it first went live went in with core classes/builds.

Edited by Dante.1763
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I just did it a moment ago and it was atrocious going through the Centaur camp when Caithe misses nearly half her attacks because they don't register collision on over half her skills (so she basically just phases past the enemies). 

And I'm gonna be doing this with other characters later on just cuz I'm trying to get through the story with alts...

31 minutes ago, Dante.1763 said:

A.) Choose not use to them like they did in later episodes (a big plus from me.)

I ran through it on an ele with at the time exotic level zerkers gear, and not having the ele skills i was used to made me angry, since i had the HP of an ele + the armor of one.

It wasnt that it was out of my "comfort zone", it drastically changed how my character functioned without going the full way, and that was the failing. Had i been given the durability of a thief it would have been far better(and it is far better, i recently played through it on my thief and ranger. Way easier and more fun.)

Keep in mind also that it takes place before any elite specs got added, and as such those who played when it first went live went in with core classes/builds.

Could you clarify please? You get Caithe's skills but your own stats, is that correct? Also, what about traits? 

7 minutes ago, Dante.1763 said:

I played that story mission ten times with ten different classes (twice as a ranger since i have two of them). The first time was in 2014 with my exotic berserker core elementalist, so i was in the same situation as you. Probably in a worse situation actually since i only knew how to play staff ele at the time (not that i'm that much better now). I won't lie and claim i never died once either in the inquest lab or the Silverwastes (because i had like 10k HP total), but it wasn't so bad that i would feel frustrated and rage about it. What i did was aggro as many mobs as possible and make them sorround me while i dodged their attacks, then use the elite skill to become invisible, then deal as much damage as possible while i was still in stealth and they couldn't retaliate, and then run away like a chicken the second my invisibility weared off and keep running around like that with the enemies chasing my kitten while i waited for the elite skill cooldown to expire.  Then do it all over again. Not very heroic, but it worked. 😄

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

59 minutes ago, Beleron.9347 said:

Could you clarify please? You get Caithe's skills but your own stats, is that correct? Also, what about traits? 

Yes, you get your stats/traits(i dont even know if the traita function with her skills.) and her skills.

58 minutes ago, Sir Alric.5078 said:

I played that story mission ten times with ten different classes (twice as a ranger since i have two of them). The first time was in 2014 with my exotic berserker core elementalist, so i was in the same situation as you. Probably in a worse situation actually since i only knew how to play staff ele at the time (not that i'm that much better now). I won't lie and claim i never died once either in the inquest lab or the Silverwastes (because i had like 10k HP total), but it wasn't so bad that i would feel frustrated and rage about it. What i did was aggro as many mobs as possible and make them sorround me while i dodged their attacks, then use the elite skill to become invisible, then deal as much damage as possible while i was still in stealth and they couldn't retaliate, and then run away like a chicken the second my invisibility weared off and keep running around like that with the enemies chasing my kitten while i waited for the elite skill cooldown to expire.  Then do it all over again. Not very heroic, but it worked. 😄

Yea thats part of why i get angry. Having to do that over and over isnt my playstyle. Its not fun, and im glad they listened to the complaints 🙂

• Like 1

Man you serious OP? Caithe is hilariously, ridiculously OP. I didn't even bother attempting to stealth my way through the Asura - I just slaughtered them all because of Caithe's broken in-combat stealth and huge evasion window. And after that, obliterating those horsey dumb-dumbs was even more satisfying. Caithe's pretty awesome, she doesn't give two kittens about the other idiots in the Pact (and they are all morons) and barely thinks twice about climbing a pile of bodies to get what she wants. All the while sounding so gosh darn polite. She's the whole package!

Edited by nosleepdemon.1368
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, nosleepdemon.1368 said:

Man you serious OP? Caithe is hilariously, ridiculously OP. I didn't even bother attempting to stealth my way through the Asura - I just slaughtered them all because of Caithe's broken in-combat stealth and huge evasion window.

Same here.
I want more OP character from Lore to play with.
I enjoyed Enchanted Armor, Avatar of Balthazar, Ryland Steelcatcher transformation.

Don't you wanna try Queen Jennah OP mesmer skills ? Or Anise, Crecia, Joko, etc.
I did enjoy a lot, past in GW1 when the bonus mission pack let us play Togo, Gwen, Saul and Turai Ossa or Keiran during Beyond.

• Confused 1

The problem is not the difficulty. Anybody can read the skills, try them out, and (should be able to) go through the missions without issues. But considering different players like different builds, taking those builds away from the players and hoping everybody will enjoy playing a static build forced on to them is not going to go well.

And on a side note, devs who don't know about stealth games need to stop shoeing them in. Stealth games aren't just about sitting there twiddling your thumbs until enemies move so you can walk past them. It's about using various tools and skills in creative ways to manipulate enemies, create solutions, and get past seemingly impossible situations. Too many devs just don't get that and create some crappy stealth mini games where you just sit there all bored.

Edited by BlueJin.4127
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm also not a fan of forced skill swaps. I don't mind it found in mini-games, but for core story content, I much prefer to keep my skills. However, if it's well done, it can be alright. I just usually find it more boring. 

So I agree with OP, don't include this with story chapters ever again. Unless you go through the trouble of making a fleshed out class, with interesting and fun mechanics.

• Like 3