A few ideas for the Reaper spec

Al Masone.1274

I've played necro since day 1, and Reaper since I got my hands on it, and thematically it's still my all time favorite spec. That said, what got me to trying it in the first place was the concept of a slow, tough, unbreakable monster that dealt high damage. Overall, I think the general idea of reaper is still there, though it's not incredibly effective nor does it have a very dynamic gameplay. 

Right now reaper isn't really in the worst place compared to other classes, but it's dps is far from top notch and his survivability is far from great outside of PvE. So while I'm not really begging for drastic changes, I'd still like to write some ideas of my own. The ideas revolve around keeping Reaper great at cleave, but want to give him some more conditional single target damage, and while he should still be easy to kite, he should be feared more, not just in terms of damage, but by being able to better stick to their target once they are close.

GREATSWORD

GS is a great weapon overall, and in pveis probably the best weapon necro in general has for power damage. That said, the skills could use some more interactions with eachother, and PvP is only ever taken for pure feel and skill 4. So...

Skill 1 - DUSK STRIKE unchanged - FADING TWILIGHT inflicts chill - CHILLING SCYTHE deals increased damage to chilled foes and increases the duration of chill on the targets hit. All strikes still generate life force

Skill 2 - no longer resets 100% when hitting foes under 50% health, instead: if it hits a low health or downed foe, recharge this skill by 50% and ready CHILLING SCYTHE.

Skill 3 - if you hit a chilled foe, increase all damage for the next few seconds.

Skill 4 and 5 unchanged. Skill 4 is already the only reason you may want GS in PVP and maybe WvW, and skill 5 overall i don't think deserves changes other than proper pathfinding. 

REAPER SHROUD

Skill 1 - first two strikes are unchanged. LIFE REAP deals damage 2 times if hitting a single target (kinda like warrior's axe 2 but conditional)

Other skills are unchanged

Skill 3 - TERRIFY - detonate your armor to fear foes around you and gain an ince aura. Duration of fear and aura increase based on how much damage you mitigate through INFUSING TERROR

I won't touch shouts as they seem to be a delicate topic. They are supposed to work best against groups, which is part of the reaper's identity, but are useless when used against a single target. Problem is, wells are far better than shouts in all game modes. The only thing I'd change is:

Rise: shambling horrors are immune to damage, and reduce the damage taken by their master as long as they are attacking. The counterplay here would be to avoid the critters, instead of just annihilating them the moment you look at them funny.

TRAITS

Here I have 3 general concepts: Sustain tank/support - Condi Reaper - Power Reaper. Mainly to follow the existing lines.

Minor traits

Chilling nova - swapped with shivers of dread, and procs on all hits. Still doesn't critically hit

Cold Shoulder - deal increased damage from ANY source when striking chilled foes. This I think is a no brainer. If we want actually diversity between builds, we can't have a minor trait that only works with strike damage.

ADEPT TRAITS

Augury of death - instead of a flat recharge reduction, shouts now may be while in reaper shroud. If used outside of reaper shroud, they now siphon life force instead of health, if used in reaper shroud, they siphon health. (they deal damage in both situations)

Shivers of Dread - swapped with chilling nova. The idea would be to promote its interaction with the trat Terror, for condi builds.

Relentless Pursuit - Unchanged. Since a tanky build may be more interested in survivability, and a condi build may not need to be 100% on the target, a power reaper needs to be close as long as possible.

MASTER TRAITS

Soul Eater - Renamed "Death's gift": Shroud recharge time is reduced. Increase your life force pool by a percentage of your toughness

Chilling Victory: Chilled foes take extra damage from all sources. The increase would be low, but I'd like to squeeze a minimum of team utility into the reaper, which is better than none at all.

Decimate defenses: gain increased critical chance per stack of vulnerability on your foe. Any percentage above 100% increases your ferocity by a flat amount.

GRANDMASTER TRAITS

Blighter's boon - Renamed "Good Suffering" (hellraiser anyone?"): gain life force anytime you are afflicted with a condition (works even in shroud) and deal increased power AND toughness for each condition on you. This is supposed to synergise both with death magic, that already reduces your incoming condi damage, and blood magic, specifically with Unholy Martyr, for team utility.

Deathly Chill: the skills CHILLING SCYTHE and EXECUTIONER SCYTHE deal increased damage to chilled foes based on your condition damage and inflict bleeding (ES inflicts more bleeding)

Reaper's onslaught: Gain quickness for a few seconds when entering or exiting reaper shroud. Striking a chilled foe extends the duration of quickness up to a cap.

It all felt nice in my head. Is it too busted?

Granted, I don't mean to fix the reaper's weakness to being kite, it's part of its identity, but I do want him to be far scarier once it manages to be in melee

Weapon Skills

On 8/27/2021 at 9:37 PM, Al Masone.1274 said:

Skill 1 - DUSK STRIKE unchanged - FADING TWILIGHT inflicts chill - CHILLING SCYTHE deals increased damage to chilled foes and increases the duration of chill on the targets hit. All strikes still generate life force

Straight increase to the condition damage budget, but could work depending on the numbers.
also, Chilling Scythe already increased chill duration by adding 2 seconds of chill.

Skill 2 - no longer resets 100% when hitting foes under 50% health, instead: if it hits a low health or downed foe, recharge this skill by 50% and ready CHILLING SCYTHE.

Love it

Skill 3. Too much fluff, it already increases damage by 12%

Skill 5. The pathing is a core system, overhauling it would take too many resources. Also it is a skill ceiling addition in WvW

Both shroud changes would be unnecessary overtuning, additionally the Terrify change would take to many resources for anet to implement.

Minor Traits

Chilling nova - swapped with shivers of dread, and procs on all hits. Still doesn't critically hit

Interesting idea, but would need chill removed and damage nerfed to ~50 ie. Vampiric.
Additionally, the purpose of Shivers of Dread is to lock down opponents by making it a semi-stun which is greatly needed in competitive.

Cold Shoulder - deal increased damage from ANY source when striking chilled foes. This I think is a no brainer. If we want actually diversity between builds, we can't have a minor trait that only works with strike damage.

Love it, would probably overtune the hell out of condi reaper though

Adept Traits

Augury of Death: The recharge reduction is a unique aspect of reaper shouts. Ideally the siphon would be removed and more power given to the conditional recharge.

Master Traits

Soul Eater - Renamed "Death's gift": Shroud recharge time is reduced. Increase your life force pool by a percentage of your toughness

Love it

Chilling Victory: Chilled foes take extra damage from all sources. The increase would be low, but I'd like to squeeze a minimum of team utility into the reaper, which is better than none at all.

I imagine PvE players would *hate* this, but I do like the theme. Personally I'd want this to change the effect of Cold Shoulder so that there is more of a trade off.

Decimate defenses: gain increased critical chance per stack of vulnerability on your foe. Any percentage above 100% increases your ferocity by a flat amount.

Would need very careful tuning, but I'd much prefer this than Soul Eater being slapped on every single build.

Grandmaster Traits

Blighter's boon - Renamed "Good Suffering" (hellraiser anyone?"): gain life force anytime you are afflicted with a condition (works even in shroud) and deal increased power AND toughness for each condition on you. This is supposed to synergise both with death magic, that already reduces your incoming condi damage, and blood magic, specifically with Unholy Martyr, for team utility.

I feel like this steps on Death Magic's toes a too much. I think pre-"bug fixed" Soul Eater would fit better here.

Deathly Chill: the skills CHILLING SCYTHE and EXECUTIONER SCYTHE deal increased damage to chilled foes based on your condition damage and inflict bleeding (ES inflicts more bleeding)

Condi Reaper is already doing well for itself, and any of the other condi changes you would suggested would easily push it to OP. I would keep this the same

Reaper's onslaught: Gain quickness for a few seconds when entering or exiting reaper shroud. Striking a chilled foe extends the duration of quickness up to a cap.

What power Reaper needs is less self reliance, and more party buff potential. To that end I'd keep the quickness on shroud entry, and make quickness increase power and ferocity by 200 each similar to the Deadeye GM