What’s up with prot holo?

RedAvenged.5217

I highly doubt this is a “meta build” yet some people still talk about it.

despite being busy I still manage to get at least like 300 games a season and do 1-2 ats a day with a pre made team. And either never see a prot holo and when I do, no matter if they are some gold player or on a premade team capable of winning ats commonly, they are horrible and do absolutely nothing.

and I don’t mean they just afk on a node and hence do nothing- I can literally either 100-0 then as a condi ranger or I can stay at full hp while they almost die which puts you at a large advantage.

I don’t think this class is meta or even worth playing- maybe people are just used to stacking tanky builds and getting carried , meanwhile you team suffers to let you afk...

• Like 4

I agree but to be fair, i think there is no realy counter class against condi ranger. I also played the most ugliest condi ranger build in entire game for a while (lifted me to plat 2 xD) and its basically farming ppl on node - the only counter were weavers but maybe because i simply played bad or they are real nuts. 

Regarding holo, i think there are much better options if u just want to sit afk on a node and have big sustain by beeing a huge chunk of meat. Good examples are necro/scourge (what a suprise) and actually simple shout guard or scrapper - stack those classes with vitality/toughness and you gucci with the build in amounts of cleanses and boons 😛

Im comparison to those classes prot holo is too much of an effort imo just to keep up protection. 

• Like 2

• Prot holo basically got nerfed twice. 

It got hit directly, and the build it rose up to counter (Scourge) also got nerfed. 

I'm just glad they didn't decide to go through with nerfing Egun and Mortar kit. Egun isn't just a staple on tanky engi builds, as Anet put it, it's a staple on almost all engineer builds. Including dps builds, which get a lot of milage out of acid bomb. 

The overshield nerf imo was yet another unecessary hit that makes core condi that much weaker, but eh. At least they didn't go through with the option that would have killed it AND the fun (but slightly underpowered) core power build I enjoy playing from time to time. 

Edited by Kuma.1503

The problem is not holo being weak, but condi ranger being broken. 

1. unblocable + pulsing + combo field + condi + aoe traps. Everything is wrong: unblocable + pulsing are supposed to be like day and night. If you have one, you can't have the other. Combo field + condi stacks is dumb too. What's the point of having a combo field if the skill already does automatically what a combo field + finisher would do?
  2. Ranger's shortbow has 0 cast time, not to mention all the animations looks similar and the extremely low cd when traited. The worst thing about this weapon is its AA. It's a litteral machine gun. If one day you feel bored, compare ranger's AA vs renegade/thief shortbow's AA...just for fun.

But people on this forum don't give a kitten about anything that is not meta. So yeah, enjoy your build while you still can before the bandwagon come to you, because we both know they will.

Edited by Eugchriss.2046
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, Kuma.1503 said:
  • Prot holo basically got nerfed twice. 

It got hit directly, and the build it rose up to counter (Scourge) also got nerfed. 

I'm just glad they didn't decide to go through with nerfing Egun and Mortar kit. Egun isn't just a staple on tanky engi builds, as Anet put it, it's a staple on almost all engineer builds. Including dps builds, which get a lot of milage out of acid bomb. 

The overshield nerf imo was yet another unecessary hit that makes core condi that much weaker, but eh. At least they didn't go through with the option that would have killed it AND the fun (but slightly underpowered) core power build I enjoy playing from time to time. 

Yes, plus the 2 sec CD on Purity of Purpose further weakened the spec. 

1 hour ago, Pimsley.3681 said:

Yes, plus the 2 sec CD on Purity of Purpose further weakened the spec. 

Yeah, that should have been WvW only. 

In PvE that trait only saw use on specific encounters.

In PvP it has to compete with HGH for a slot, and HGH is arguably better for the might and lower cooldowns on your Alchemy Traits, Egun, and Mortar 5. 

Edited by Kuma.1503

12 hours ago, Eugchriss.2046 said:

The problem is not holo being weak, but condi ranger being broken. 

1. unblocable + pulsing + combo field + condi + aoe traps. Everything is wrong: unblocable + pulsing are supposed to be like day and night. If you have one, you can't have the other. Combo field + condi stacks is dumb too. What's the point of having a combo field if the skill already does automatically what a combo field + finisher would do?
  2. Ranger's shortbow has 0 cast time, not to mention all the animations looks similar and the extremely low cd when traited. The worst thing about this weapon is its AA. It's a litteral machine gun. If one day you feel bored, compare ranger's AA vs renegade/thief shortbow's AA...just for fun.

But people on this forum don't give a kitten about anything that is not meta. So yeah, enjoy your build while you still can before the bandwagon come to you, because we both know they will.

Comparing ranger shortbow with machine gun renegade shortbow....really I don't think anybody takes the pvp forums seriously anymore... I mean teams win MAT matches with freaking shortbow renegade and there are people claiming that shortbow ranger is stronger because they die after half hour in their fringe 1v1 in soloq about which nobody cares..........it's like entering the twilight zone when you open the pvp forum.

Sanity, common sense completely go out of the window

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Arheundel.6451 said:

Comparing ranger shortbow with machine gun renegade shortbow....really I don't think anybody takes the pvp forums seriously anymore... I mean teams win MAT matches with freaking shortbow renegade and there are people claiming that shortbow ranger is stronger because they die after half hour in their fringe 1v1 in soloq about which nobody cares..........it's like entering the twilight zone when you open the pvp forum.

Sanity, common sense completely go out of the window

What are u talking about

• Like 1

this will even sound funny

but the "problem" is you

i often see you in first or second page of leaderboars

so let's say you mechanically better than 95% of the ppl you playing against, so you just outskill them

as prot holo isn't scourge level of braindeadness, pressing skills of cds won't achieve same level of result as scourge did

38 minutes ago, Khalisto.5780 said:

this will even sound funny

but the "problem" is you

i often see you in first or second page of leaderboars

so let's say you mechanically better than 95% of the ppl you playing against, so you just outskill them

as prot holo isn't scourge level of braindeadness, pressing skills of cds won't achieve same level of result as scourge did

Ill take that as a compliment of the highest order

25 minutes ago, Khalisto.5780 said:

lol, but seriously

have you fought a prot holo used by a player you consider good

was it the usual faceroll duel?

Hard to say, highest level of threat I’ve ever felt is - ehh I’ll just let him afk and kill his team, which has only happened like x2.

but my definition of good is probably different- as I only consider someone who learned something themselves and are not just carbon copies as good.

me myself I picked up this game, found a class and stared at the skills as tested on a golem until I understood and didn’t ever feel I was truly “bad”. - this is also how I approach anything of competitive nature, by starting at the bottom and working my way up.

considering that my whole life is centered around competition- I do this pretty naturally and also my brain fails to register any carbon copies. Some people probably hate me for this in the game too, as I literally don’t register this stuff- just try and beat them in game...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/28/2021 at 8:41 AM, RedAvenged.5217 said:

snips

maybe the combo of different roles but similar enough builds throws people off since they're used to playing nade holo. could be the people you're fighting think its old afk prot holo or try to use paladins or something. did you only fight them as a condi ranger? they have pretty kitten poor pressure they can keep on you if you are slippery enough, when their holo leap superspeed spam fails they are sitting ducks. also they might blow cd's like hard light arena. its at a minute now lol idk how great this build is anymore.