Balancing for fun, one trait line at a time : Warrior Complete!

Nezuralli.2794

Hello everyone, I've been giving each of the core warrior trait lines some thought, one a day. In an effort not to buff or nerf anything, only to make the trait lines more fun. To play, build around, and fight against. Focusing as best I can on making traits thematically appropriate and feeding into each other across lines. Making the minor traits applicable to any kind of build and encouraging less seen playstyles like the classic sword & board. I've purposefully left out any numbers that I could because there's really no point. If an idea is cool, work around it and figure out what numbers make it balanced afterwards. There's a bit too much to copy paste into a single thread here so I'm just going to link what I've posted already over on reddit. Please, give me your feedback. What you think is good and bad and why. Did I overlook something that would result in a broken combo somewhere unexpected. Etc...

Strength Arms Defense Tactics Discipline

It's cool that you've put so much effort into looking at each tree. Since these are such sweeping changes there isn't really much to comment about the actual balance of these, but I do have some general feedback:

• You should probably format which aspects of which traits you've made changes to. Having to read through the whole thing and check internally in my head if this trait is new or changed made reading it take much more effort than it should have.

• Several times you are suggesting for traits like "Major Master Top - Rain Of Fire - Dual Shot inflicts burning on foes. Longbow skills gain reduced recharge."  This is something Anet have explicitly avoided, especially in the context of Warrior. You do not want a trait to ONLY affect ONE weapon, because if you do not run that weapon the trait might as well not exist, and is instead just dead space on the traitline. Warrior used to seriously suffer from this since we have so many weapons that had their own individual traits.
    • You can see a well designed trait that addresses this problem in our current Shield Master - Reflecting while blocking is not exclusive to shield, despite clearly synergizing best with it. Another good example is Forceful Greatsword, which used to be an effect exclusive to GS but was explicitly changed to work with everything now. Lazier trait design would be like our Warhorn or Torch traits that just grant stats globally on top of their weapon-exclusive effects. Ideally, you want more traits like Shield Master. 
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Jzaku.9765 said:

Several times you are suggesting for traits like "Major Master Top - Rain Of Fire - Dual Shot inflicts burning on foes. Longbow skills gain reduced recharge."  This is something Anet have explicitly avoided, especially in the context of Warrior. You do not want a trait to ONLY affect ONE weapon, because if you do not run that weapon the trait might as well not exist, and is instead just dead space on the traitline. Warrior used to seriously suffer from this since we have so many weapons that had their own individual traits.

You're right about that. I avoided adding anything else onto that one in particular because it's an adept but I suppose it could have some expertise or burning duration added on there. And I'll add a link to the wiki for the normal traits so people can quickly check. Thank you.

20 minutes ago, Nezuralli.2794 said:

You're right about that. I avoided adding anything else onto that one in particular because it's an adept but I suppose it could have some expertise or burning duration added on there. And I'll add a link to the wiki for the normal traits so people can quickly check. Thank you.

I think you can easily make it "Ranged autos apply burning" without much issue. 

42 minutes ago, Jzaku.9765 said:

This is something Anet have explicitly avoided, especially in the context of Warrior. You do not want a trait to ONLY affect ONE weapon,

I agree with their idea, and regret that they stopped where they did. All "weapon" traits should, IMO, be made broader by this, like Crack Shot. Forceful Greatsword should just be Forceful, but with an extra effect for Greatsword, Axe, Sword. Merciless Hammer? Just Merciless, affecting Hammer, Mace extra specifically.

1 hour ago, The Boz.2038 said:

I agree with their idea, and regret that they stopped where they did. All "weapon" traits should, IMO, be made broader by this, like Crack Shot. Forceful Greatsword should just be Forceful, but with an extra effect for Greatsword, Axe, Sword. Merciless Hammer? Just Merciless, affecting Hammer, Mace extra specifically.

All the traits you mentioned already do what you describe. Forceful GS lets all weapons generate Might on crit (works better on GS). Merciless Hammer lets all hard cc generate Adrenaline (works best with cc weapons, but also applies to utilities and Full Counter for example.) The only remaining weapon trait with this issue is Mace's in Defense, if we count the weapon traits that just apply global stat buffs.