Did the patch do something to the lighting? [Merged]

Ooookayyyyy.... I just did the HoT boss meta cycle for the first time since Monday, and I can confirm that the lighting is different now.

The way it reacts now in light and dark area is a lot more realistic, which - naturally - makes the dark spots/areas a lot darker than before, especially during night time!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Strange issue I have had a couple times since the patch yesterday. It's an inconsistent problem, but happened yesterday evening (I dont remember where) and this morning in tangled depths. Its just dark. I had expected lighting and was farming caches before gerent and turned into the nuhoch where there is, I presume, a lighting barrier and it was much darker in there, finished farming nuhoch and went to kill in rata and then help in scar. Interestingly, the turn into Nuhoch actually would have been approximately 6:25am which is the switch from night to dawn when it got much darker.  Now, I will say this, I actually liked it for a nighttime ambience, I always thought gw2 night was tooo bright, but the mist in TD still had it's expected texture as if it was affected by ambient light which was a really cool effect, but still seems like a bug. I dont know the timing that this hit me last night unfortunately. I did also do fractals last night which did not seem affected (I mention this because I know fractals day vs night is static.) 

Again, if this is a game bug and its easily reproducible, I actually wouldnt mind a "darker nights" menu option to activate this bug for the ambience 🤷‍♂️

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, Marikus.1875 said:

Maybe you guys need to turn off that one light setting in the graphics menu at the bottom.

I don't use Post-Processing, and without it "that one option at the bottom" (a.k.a. adaptive lighting) isn't available. So that's not it. 😉

Edited by Ashantara.8731

I'm just gonna assume they already added some of the initial DX11 support files and it's causing certain areas not to load shaders and lighting properly. 

The reason why I have 2 clients of the game installed (one with d912pxy and one without) is to usually test these kinds of issues and it seems like both clients I have run into issues of lighting not working properly. 

I experienced this too in TD - yesterday and today. 

Edit: Just to note, yesterday it was the length of Rata lane that was dark (pre & during Gerent event), and today it was dark by the wall that comes down post-Gerent event. 

Edit#2:  I do run d912pxy , and there is a new issue on the d912pxy github for dark lighting, from 2 days ago. That user seemed to be able to tie it to d912pxy, but I'm not sure everyone else here on this thread is running d912pxy.

https://github.com/megai2/d912pxy/issues/396

Edit#3:

Discussion forum thread:

Reddit thread:

Edited by TheAgedGnome.7520
  • Like 2

Bastion of the penitent has gone dark too. Carine was a mess cant even see the platform and the boss hardly. Mursaat was okay as was sammy, Deimos looked dark also. There was hardly any definition of where the platform began and the area around and under it were pitch black. The darkness seem to carry over into boss spells the green circles were slow to form and when they did they were muted. Same with the teleport circles. Was a visual mess and hard to see anything even projectiles. I dont know what they did but some fracts are darker as well as some jps and other open world areas.

Been experiencing the same exact issue since the patch on Tuesday (playing with dx11 on a machine running windows 7) and cross-confirmed it with lots of other players experiencing it aswell.

What's weird is that alt-tabbing out of the game and back in again seems to exacerbate it even more, i.e. areas that were somewhat properly illuminated before turn dark too all of a sudden once you go back in again.

Bumping up post-processing to high (i had it on "none" before) makes things a little more discernible but doesn't change the fact that there's no illumination to speak of in the maps. Here's hoping this gets fixed soon because the game is nearly unplayable this way, lol

Edited by BernhardtEisenlauer.3152

I haven't noticed anything myself, so I guess I'll come back here and update after I have a chance to go into some of the maps that were mentioned here.

The only dark places for me are the usual spots, like certain dungeons. For my own convenience I turn on postprocessing and check the "adaptive light" box, which tends to light everything up. I'm sure most of you in here probably tried that, but in case you haven't I suggest you give it a shot.

On 9/1/2021 at 7:46 PM, TheAgedGnome.7520 said:

I experienced this too in TD - yesterday and today. 

Edit: Just to note, yesterday it was the length of Rata lane that was dark (pre & during Gerent event), and today it was dark by the wall that comes down post-Gerent event. 

Edit#2:  I do run d912pxy , and there is a new issue on the d912pxy github for dark lighting, from 2 days ago. That user seemed to be able to tie it to d912pxy, but I'm not sure everyone else here on this thread is running d912pxy.

https://github.com/megai2/d912pxy/issues/396

Thanks for the update. I actually installed that the day before the update. I disabled it the same day I installed it because it just wasnt helping. It was disabled the day of the update, and I have since deleted it, and I still experience the light issue.

• Thanks 1