Best Class For Quick Kills In PVE?

Laotzer.7592

Started a few days ago and I love my guardian so far, been doing all the stuff I find on the maps and it's been great being able to solo things if no one else is nearby. That said I've started getting into crafting and noticing I need monster drops and not just the stuff I'm picking up with the gather tools. Is there a recommended class/weapon specifically for downing normal mobs quick for loot?

Edit: To clarify I don't care how well it would do against world bosses. Not interested in world boss kill times. I'm looking for what setup is for killing normal mobs quickly.

Edited by Laotzer.7592

In terms of speed and simplicity little still beats a reaper when you can raptor into a group of mobs, shade + 4 and do 60-80k damage on each mob within a few seconds. 

You cant really farm mats from going after random mobs though. Or well, you can, but it's horribly inneffective compared to doing meta events and getting hundreds of upon hundreds of lootbags to salvage. 

If you are new it's going to take a while to open up the game for this though. I wouldnt worry about farming. Just do the story, get characters to 80 and go from there.

Edited by Dawdler.8521
  • Like 4

How good are Reapers? I'm an average player, my reaper is in exotic gear, and I can solo just about any open world mob short of champions - and I can get some of them. They're so strong that they may have ruined me for other classes. Like Dawdler said, raptor to shade + 4, aim at the 1 guy who's left, 5, 2, done.

Don't worry if you aren't 100% comfortable with a build as presented. Tweak and test. I don't understand the love affair with greatswords. I use axe and horn. They have a little bit of range and fill up your lifeforce quickly. (Lifeforce powers shade abilities.) 

I think guard also got some high dmg builds. Just test everything out with guard. U will learn a lot then about ur class 🙂 u could lure many monster with a scepter and then burst them down with the traps from Dragon hunter. Some areas got more monster than others, so look for the high density places and kill all u see.

10 hours ago, Laotzer.7592 said:

That said I've started getting into crafting and noticing I need monster drops and not just the stuff I'm picking up with the gather tools.

Note that you can buy that stuff on the Trading Post.

There are some specific material-farming activities like Lake Doric "leather farm," but for the average player, efficiency is just doing whatever gets you big rewards of any type — often that's the big map metas — and then trading the big stacks of loot you get in for whatever you might be missing from the TP. (Since you're a new player, I'd encourage you to try a variety of big map metas rather than just doing one repetitively. Silverwastes, Tarir, Dragonfall, Drizzlewood, &c. &c. all have their our distinctive vibe and appeal.)

• Like 1

If you're not looking for a class change, then full Berserker Dragonhunter can farm open-world mobs just fine with Longbow+Greatsword to both pull mobs in and destroy alot of them at once. So can Core burn Guard or even Firebrand (though not as efficiently as Core).

Since you're just starting out (you didn't specify level), I'd go for the Core Burn Guard route for now. You can find builds on sites like Metabattle and slowly work towards it as you unlock your skills, traits, etc.

https://metabattle.com/wiki/Build:Guardian_-_Core_Condition

The gear is too hard for you to obtain for now, but you can wear various mixes of Carrion, Rabid and Rampager and achieve more or less the same effect until you're more seasoned.

I don't advice using fully defensive sets like Dire in PvE, always make sure each piece has an offensive power damage component (Power/Condi or Precision/Condi at least), otherwise you'll be extremely weak to enemies that are immune to certain conditions. The more you can mix power stats, the better.

Its not efficient to farm drops off enemies, its better to do meta events like World Bosses, salvage all your loot with an appropriate salvage kit (matching color to gear is sufficient enough), and then selling the salvaged materials on the Trading Post, then buying what you need from there. Of course, you'll want to save any salvaged mats that you actually want to use!

This game is based upon farming loot and salvaging, not farming individual mats.

Get started here: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Event_timers

Edited by Hannelore.8153
  • Like 3

Just dropping in to note:

I've done 100% world completion on every profession.  Shortbow Ranger with glass cannon gear (sinister at one point then viper) was the quickest world completion of all my characters.  

Not sure if that's what you're looking for, but just dropping my 2 copper.

• Like 1

First of all, mob farming solo can be efficient, and even outperform the gold/hr of trains, metas, etc.  The thing is that you need an "edge" - a spot that drops valuable stuff with high mob density and good drops, even better if it is also not very well known.  Examples from GW2 history:

Desert Highlands Iboga 40-70 gold/hr farm before the change that made evergreen lodestones obsolete

Southsun Barracuda in the days of 50+ silver armored scales

Branded now with dust prices where they are

My rule of thumb for a good spot and build is 600 kills/hr. At 500% Magic find, you can expect 30% of your kills to generate a fine crafting material corresponding to the mob type.  So if the mid-tier mob drops a dust worth 10 silver, you can expect about 180 dust per hour, plus a bit of other loot and coin.    You can learn about what you can expect from mob farming and how drops work here:

As far as builds, you need to assess whether you are killing 1 by 1 or pulling a group of 5 then cleaving down.

For the former, mobility is also usually a consideration.  So is bursty ranged damage because otherwise it takes time to move between mobs 1 to 1 and mounting is not always efficient.  For 1 by 1 situations, I'd recommend Power Mesmer (greatsword / Sw/Sw).  GS #2 and GS#4 delete normal mobs and you can always throw in a shatter or damage mantra.  Swords get you another ranged illusion and skill to port to the mob for melee.  Power deadeye can work, as can Soulbeast with LB.  Power Herald is another interesting one with great self buffing that is "always on", has good mobility options, and sword or hammer #2 can wreck single mobs or small groups.

For cleaving bigger groups, where you're likely mounting up and raptor balling, my go to was Warrior or berserker with Axe/Axe and GS.  Reaper is a great choice too as mentioned above.

Edited by thehipone.6812

Revenant has one of the best if not the best burst in the game. It's also extremely mobile with shiro legend and sword in offhand. Phase traversal is a 1200 range engage if you combine it with sword 5 shadowstep (600 range) you can instantly engage at 1800 range with decent dmg from sword 5 (or Phase traversal). Pop Impossible odds and sword 4 (or sword 2 or jusr auto attack) on the enemy and it will die. Basically you kill mobs from 1800 range in an instant. And there is plenty more to follow up if its tougher mob. The cool downs are also very low.

You want power build with dual sword and shiro legend.

Fastest world completion ... here is the ingredients:

1. Highest RS (in today's game, many ways to accomplish this, so not as much of a problem as it used to be)

2. High DPS based on POWER with some AOE option, ranged if possible. 

3. frequent condi cleansing ability 

4. Frequent Stunbreak

5. BONUS - opening attack avoidance skills ... Thief pistol #3 is an example, as is Guardian Sword 2

6. BONUS - stacking DPS methods ... Guardian with F1 burning, their symbol and auto attack is an example

So to answer the question ... it's Sword Guardian, full berserker with Fireworks Runes, Radiance, Zeal and Virtue. open with sword 2, hit F1 and start AA ... mob should be dead before your AA is complete. Crit is capped in this build when fighting trash mobs, so you don't need full zerker to run it. 

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PWzAw2ZlJw8YYsJ2JO0L+raA-zRQYR09dMBhfINJArTqUhqSxzSEzAA-e 

Edited by Obtena.7952
  • Haha 2

All these class builds above don't really fit in the quick kill criteria. But they still works if you don't mind the extra effort.

You need a class with high mobility, quick cast & attack speed, very low skill CD and the least keystroke possible with auto target to burst kill a foe then swap to another to maximize efficiency. Therefore there's nothing best the speed of a full berserker Deadeye with a scholar rune with critical/trickery specs. With a rifle everything within 1.2k range is a F1-3-3 kill with almost no cool down. You'll also granted with with infinite swiftness/fury/might and high quickness upkeep in combat.

You'll want to keep dagger/pistol on swap for multiple  or higher health foes.

Edited by Vilin.8056
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Vilin.8056 said:

All these class builds above don't really fit in the quick kill criteria. But they still works if you don't mind the extra effort.

You need a class with high mobility, quick cast & attack speed, very low skill CD and the least keystroke possible with auto target to burst kill a foe then swap to another to maximize efficiency. Therefore there's nothing best the speed of a full berserker Deadeye with a scholar rune with critical/trickery specs. With a rifle everything within 1.2k range is a F1-3-3 kill with almost no cool down. You'll also granted with with infinite swiftness/fury/might and high quickness upkeep in combat.

You'll want to keep dagger/pistol on swap for multiple  or higher health foes.

Which is very aimed at single/few targets unlike other builds that can just walk into 20 mobs and feel unfulfilled because its still too few and they die too fast. Quick kills also mean groups.

Edited by Dawdler.8521

3 hours ago, Dawdler.8521 said:

Which is very aimed at single/few targets unlike other builds that can just walk into 20 mobs and feel unfulfilled because its still too few and they die too fast. Quick kills also mean groups.

That is exactly why it is prefered, monsters die quickly enough before they were turned into groups.

And you don't walk into 20 mobs when solo farming specific monsters on an open map. A realistic expectation would be a frequent encounter between 1-3. Aoe burst skills are not as ideal due to their 15s+ cool down timer.

P.S. Please tell me that I'm not teaching people how to optimize their bots.

Edited by Vilin.8056
  • Like 1

Well imo neither of those can match a power shiro revenant. Or if they can match the burst itself, they need preparation or have longer cool downs or are just not durable as much as a rev with a decent health pool and heavy armor. Power rev also have some easy build options that don't sacrifice much dmg for even better sustain which enables you to face tank many of the stronger mobs.

Your Phase Traversal, 1200 range engage that deals decent dmg also gives you quickness and is on a 5 sec cool down (in pve). Of course you need to manage your energy but you don't really need anything else for normal mobs. 

Even after many recent nerfs it is still a meta build in pvp and wvw roaming that excels in burst and mobility. There are countless dead thieves that died to shiro rev just because they don't expect anyone following them at 1800 range and burst them down in a second. 

Just to be clear ... I think the OP needs to indicate that he has access to HoT/PoF or not ... I don't believe from how he describes his situation that he does. I've made my suggestion based on only Core access. Many of the suggestions here don't fit that limitation. 

Edited by Obtena.7952
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/1/2021 at 4:50 PM, Laotzer.7592 said:

Started a few days ago and I love my guardian so far, been doing all the stuff I find on the maps and it's been great being able to solo things if no one else is nearby. That said I've started getting into crafting and noticing I need monster drops and not just the stuff I'm picking up with the gather tools. Is there a recommended class/weapon specifically for downing normal mobs quick for loot?

Edit: To clarify I don't care how well it would do against world bosses. Not interested in world boss kill times. I'm looking for what setup is for killing normal mobs quickly.

Warrior, especially berserker can do 20k with each decapitate and arc divider without any boons and you can keep it up until about 11 times in like 30 secs. Arc divider is the big damage AoE so if you got a ton of mobs around you then you can destroy them so fast. Plus the mending gives you the extra burst and great healing when dealing with multiple mobs.

Edited by OuterOcean.2418

5 hours ago, OuterOcean.2418 said:

Warrior, especially berserker can do 20k with each decapitate and arc divider without any boons and you can keep it up until about 11 times in like 30 secs. Arc divider is the big damage AoE so if you got a ton of mobs around you then you can destroy them so fast. Plus the mending gives you the extra burst and great healing when dealing with multiple mobs.

Sure ... but when trash mobs die in 3 seconds, you aren't ever going to be able to use Berserker in the situation the OP is asking about anyways, so what are you suggesting here? 

Are you guys paying attention to what the OP is asking? The hint is that he says he started a few days ago ... so even if he bought HoT/PoF, he's not using especs. 

It's funny my post got 2 haha emotes ... especially when it's probably the most relevant post to the OP's question for his situation. 

Edited by Obtena.7952
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Obtena.7952 said:

Sure ... but when trash mobs die in 3 seconds, you aren't ever going to be able to use Berserker in the situation the OP is asking about anyways, so what are you suggesting here? 

Are you guys paying attention to what the OP is asking? The hint is that he says he started a few days ago ... so even if he bought HoT/PoF, he's not using especs. 

It's funny my post got 2 haha emotes ... especially when it's probably the most relevant post to the OP's question for his situation. 

*you aren't ever going to be able to use Berserker in the situation the OP is asking about anyways, so what are you suggesting here? * You obviously don't know what you are talking about it's really funny, and it's obvious that you are mad that you didn't read that I suggested warrior. Not only that, berserk can be activated any time they have full adrenaline which can be easily maxed by 1 headbutt, and attacks. Even without berserk mode berserker can do around 10k damage with their skills and great AoE with dual axes. Which also can be used on core warrior.

• Confused 1

52 minutes ago, OuterOcean.2418 said:

*you aren't ever going to be able to use Berserker in the situation the OP is asking about anyways, so what are you suggesting here? * You obviously don't know what you are talking about ...

Again, we are talking about TRASH MOBS in CORE GW2. We are talking about a player that JUST STARTED the game. 

So no, it's not ME that doesn't know what I'm talking about. Maybe you think headbutting a trash mob to get adrenaline to go in berserker mode makes sense ... I can assure you it doesn't. Maybe you think suggesting a new player that probably doesn't even have berserker unlocked use Berserker makes sense ... I can assure it you it doesn't

Berserker is literally one of the WORST specs for farming normal mobs quick like the OP is asking for exactly the points you made ... it requires a WHOLE lot of build up to get into berserker mode which makes the value of doing so very small compared to just outright killing the mob without all that. It's also not providing a constant DPS; it's a feast or famine situation. 

Edited by Obtena.7952
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Obtena.7952 said:

Again, we are talking about a TRASH MOB in CORE GW2. We are talking about a player that JUST STARTED the game. 

NO, it's not ME that doesn't know what I'm talking about. Maybe you think headbutting a trash mob to get adrenaline to go in berserker mode makes sense ... I can assure you it doesn't. 

Lmfao you are skipping everything what I said, it's obvious that you need more help than the new player. But you can keep re reading what I typed, bye felicia.

33 minutes ago, OuterOcean.2418 said:

Lmfao you are skipping everything what I said, 

I skipped nothing ... what you said doesn't make sense regarding how good 'especially berserker' is for what the OP is asking. You know how I know? Because I've played Berserker in OW PVE and it's too much overhead to kill a trash mob using Berserker mode; it's not efficient for what the OP is asking for. Suggesting to a new player that 'especially Berserker' is good to kill normal trash mobs is simply bad advice. The idea you present that you build up to get into berserker mode when you could simply kill the mob in that build up time says quite a bit about your understanding about optimally playing OW PVE with a Berserker, or warrior for that matter. 

Berserker is one of the worst specs to kill normal mobs with. That's not debatable. It requires build up for Berserker mode that take too many actions to enter and it's DPS is heavily loaded into Berserker mode. Those two things absolute kill the spec for being useful to consistently kill normal trash mobs fast.

Even a Core Warrior Axe build is better than Berserker will be for this task. So no, you had it backwards, berserker will be terrible at it and especially core warrior would be the preferred choice. 

Edited by Obtena.7952