So I just started out with necro but dislike him, looking to main a class.

Hallo folks, 

I started out with necro a few days ago and dabbled into every content except raids, did WvW, Conquest, Fractals, Strikes Meta events to get into the class. I understand Iam not playing it to its limits or even close. I just dont feel like I want to keep playing necro. I dont like scourges shroud mechanic at all and I can't get a long with the minions. The condi build is cool, but the classes lack of mobility makes me dislike it. Reaper is cool is and basicially the reason I didnt stop playing earlier but then I just dont like reaper builds skill sets outside of reaperform that much. So I'am looking for a different class.

How punishing is it so switch characters in this game? I didn't invest in necros gear except an free ascended amulet that I had found in my old characters inventor. I played all the story campaigns and farmed heropoints with him. What is lost? Its sad that I bought a template slot with him I expected that to be account wide 🙂

I have 1 level 80 boost left, and 1 level 80 thief (he has only 11k hp my necro has boosted gear an almost 20k) on the account that I havent played in years. I wanna play all the content since I basicially enjoy all of it, I hope to get into a decent guild for raids some time soon.

What do you think about thief, it looks fun to me, does the rifle build play exlucivley range, does it have that variety to completly switch between beeing a meele class/Range class? Is it bursty? How does it far in solo open world?

Iam looking for a bursty class. I was also looking at revenant, got completly busted by one in seconds with my necro in conquest on reaper build-

Edited by wusekwurz.9712

24 minutes ago, wusekwurz.9712 said:

What do you think about thief, it looks fun to me, does the rifle build play exlucivley range, does it have that variety to completly switch between beeing a meele class/Range class? Is it bursty? How does it far in solo open world

As far as thief builds go, Deadeye tends to have the easiest self-buffing, self-sustain, and resource management in open world. Other classes tend to do better at AOE but it's very easy to build a Deadeye to quickly burst down individual targets (and get some incidental cleave in via Piercing) in a way that also gives you respectable sustained DPS against champions and bosses.

You know how most classes swap weapons (or kits, or attunements) pretty much whenever possible in order to make optimal use of their weapon cooldowns? Because thieves use a single Initiative pool instead of separate cooldowns for each weapon skill, you only really weapon swap for tactical flexibility (or to trigger "on swap" effects, if your gear and traits are designed around that). Thus, it's quite easy to mix ranged and melee in one build and only swap when you want to. The only real downside is that you need to be a Daredevil to use Staff, which is the thief's best AOE cleaving melee weapon.

Overall, Deadeye's got a very "rinse and repeat" PvE playstyle, with a very simple "rotation" that requires a bit of situational awareness but very little multitasking or memorization. I really like two things about it in PvE:

* Deadeye can self-generate a lot of boons, so your PvE solo builds tend to feel less anemic than all the classes that only really shine with external boon support.

* The thief class movement abilities are really nice when you're doing anything that involves more than just fighting. "Carry this thing over there," "bypass this hallway full of spike traps," all those activities are very quick and easy on a thief.

In WvW, thieves are almost entirely limited to roaming but they're great at it. (Deadeye is probably slightly disadvantaged against other thieves but makes up for it in better matchups vs. some other classes that penalize melee engagement or require more sustained pressure to bring down.)

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, wusekwurz.9712 said:

What do i loose if i dont wanna replay story with the new character? Any disadvantage?

Story is actually optional.  If you have the tomes and protal scrolls you never need to do them.  I've gotten my alts to get to every map without them doing the story.

As for as how punishing it is to start a new character, not at all.  I'd advise you to keep the necromancer just in case you ever want to go back to it.  Meanwhile, it will get birthday presents as it ages.  Also, you can park the necro by a rich mining node for some daily mat gathering with very little time commitment.   Overall, Guild Wars 2 is mostly designed to let you do whatever without punishing you for it.

As for thief, the biggest thing as thief is never to get hit by anything ever.  Thief plays like a spastic squirrel on amphetimines.  You're constantly moving around the battle-space, kiting enemies, diving in and out, repositioning, etc.  It is very different from necromancer (which may be what you're looking for).

I play core thief, daredevil, and deadeye.  Thief is good all around if you know how to play it.

Since you dislike the feel of necromancer, other alternatives to consider are"

Mesmer:  Another mobile, bursty profession.  Can be built in different ways to if you want to change things up.

Revenant: As you identified, sword/sword revenant with Shiro stance is mobile and bursty.  Also very flexible with builds so you can play differently on a single character.

Elementalist:  Dagger/Dagger elementalist can be built to burst and is very mobile.  It is far more complex to play than the others as it relies far more on skill combos.

These are my suggestions based on your stated preferences of mobility and damage.  Since you have 5 character slots you can make em all and test them as you please.

Also note, in PvP you are automatically level 80.  You can test characters in some unranked matches or in the Hotjoin servers without pressure.  I use unranked to test off-the-wall ideas (that usually don't work well(.  Point is, you don't have to use the level 80 boost to test a level 80 character.  The other thing is you're not limited with the gear like using the level 80 boost's trial period.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the answer i did a few hours of thief conquest with a d/p daredevil build yesterday. The start was super rough but i feel after a few games i got a good hang of it. I try some more today i also follow ur advice and try revenent. 

Iam having trouble understanding combos and what they will do is there a good source for that?

Thank all of u for ur great reply!!!

Edited by wusekwurz.9712

34 minutes ago, wusekwurz.9712 said:

Iam having trouble understanding combos and what they will do is there a good source for that?

This is the main reference for how fields and finishers work: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Combo

For thief, you often see these:

Black Powder (Pistol 5, smoke field) + Heartseeker (Dagger 2, leap finisher) = stealth for you

This is your bread-and-butter cheapo stealth on Dagger/Pistol. Note that you can leap multiple times to get more duration before the smoke field expires. In combat, you'll get the stealth *after* Heartseeker connects, so if you hit someone with the Heartseeker you'll be able to follow up with a Backstab.

Black Powder + Cluster Bomb (Shortbow 2, blast finisher — *only if you don't detonate it*) = stealth for anyone standing in the field

Stealth for the whole team (if you can get them to stack on you for a sec). Some players like to do this on the first engagement, especially combined with giving the team Basilisk Venom.

Edited by ASP.8093
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

When I got tired of ramp up time on my Mirage, I moved to thief and absolutely fell in love with staff Daredevil. As someone stated above, you mostly just push a couple of skills, and it's more about positioning. The animations are great, and flipping all over the place smacking everything down is an awesome feeling. It has a master martial artist tone to it.

After playing it long enough, I did eventually want a change, and am currently playing d/p Deadeye. It is awesome in a completely different way. It's more single target focused, but things die so fast as you shadowstep around and knife things down. You have a lot of blind you can push out for defense. It feels incredibly assassin like.

On both builds I only ever end up swapping weapons (both have p/p as their other set) when I want to get some space and kite something that is taking forever to die.

Edited by Gibson.4036