Rev for new player?

captrowdy.9561

So I’ve been playing for about 3 weeks. I’ve tried all the classes in pvp and for some reason rev seems to be the one I like I most. I’m trying to decide on a class to actually stick with to learn and play the game. Everything I read says new players should stay far away but I do ok in pvp and open world pve. What’s suppose to be the drawbacks? My main focus would be open world pve/spvp/WvW. I would like to play as a sidenoder/duelist and roaming in WvW. 

7 hours ago, captrowdy.9561 said:

So I’ve been playing for about 3 weeks. I’ve tried all the classes in pvp and for some reason rev seems to be the one I like I most. I’m trying to decide on a class to actually stick with to learn and play the game. Everything I read says new players should stay far away but I do ok in pvp and open world pve. What’s suppose to be the drawbacks? My main focus would be open world pve/spvp/WvW. I would like to play as a sidenoder/duelist and roaming in WvW. 

When GW2 players advise new players to stay away from rev, ele, engi etc they usually mean those who just entered the game and haven't done any research on its systems. You spent 3 weeks in, tried all the classes so you'll most likely be fine. Rev is a lot of fun and offers variety of playstyles so you'll rarely go bored.

• Like 1

The thing with Rev, Ele and Engi is, that those are the "most different" and to an extend most "complicated/difficult" classes.

That's the reason I advise ppl to not boost those classes to lvl80.

If you like the class, lvl it the normal way, learn your stuff, go for it.

If you want an easy time, getting carried by your class, go Scourge xD

13 hours ago, captrowdy.9561 said:

If you get advised to stay away from engi/ele/rev, it's purely becaused they are considered complex classes. Engi/Ele have more buttons to press that other classes, and rev has the energy system which is basically mana when all other classes have only cooldowns to worry about.

Since you've already had success with rev, then go for it. Rev is a great class, very diverse (you can play any role due to the legend system), and, I know that's subjective, one of the most fun ones. 

Not all new players are alike.  If you are both enjoying and having some success with Rev in PVP go ahead and play it.  

As one of the posters above said, that is the advice given to people who have done no research into the game and its systems.

If you are having success go for it.

The only reason Rev is considered somewhat complex is the energy management system and legend switching.  If you can get used to both then no problem at all.  Rev can be an incredibly powerful and forgiving class with the right gear, is among the best professions in the game for open world and is desired in all other content.  You certainly can't go wrong playing it.

There is another thread a bit further down "How do you frikkin play Revenant" or something similar.  There are some excellent tips in the thread to give you some hints to keep improving and having fun with the class.

• Like 1

It's very dependent on player's previous experience - as example, if you played WoW/Lineage/etc for many years - I think that you'll be okay. 
Main difference here, I think - what you like most and not only now but in perspective of future. I played WoW for 13+ years and always have main character (only 3-4 changes in 13 years) - but in GW2 I like ALL professions and races... which was pretty strange thing for me back then. Now I have main character and 8 alt's - for all professions and different races/genders. 
So... if you like Revenant and you are ready to play as him and not only like it for few things - pick that class and you are ready to go. 

Rev does require a small amount of thought to play, which does elevate it above the average Guild Wars 2 player who prefers to mash every button and face hug their opponent... And occasionally die, and then complain about difficulty on the forums (see every complaint about Heart of Thorns).

BUT, Rev is and has always been the best profession. "Stance dancing" between weapons and Legends has a certain rhythm to it which is absolute zen.

Stick with Rev OP, it can do nearly every role brilliantly. You'll have a distinct air of absolute superiority about you --which other professions are jealous of-- that says "Move aside, fool. I play The Revenant".

• Like 1

The thing about revenant is that building it is very set in stone. Because of how your utilities are tied to your legend and they have no mix and match with the utilities like other classes do, every legend has a very rigid playstyle in mind. You can't make bad choices with revenant like you could in other classes. Weapons bien soft-tied to legends also simplifies the build process for the class. I don't know why people advice against revenant, it's one of the simplest classes other than the energy managment, which isn't really even a problem with core rev nowadays with their F2 skill.

6 hours ago, Vennyhedgie.5369 said:

The thing about revenant is that building it is very set in stone. Because of how your utilities are tied to your legend and they have no mix and match with the utilities like other classes do, every legend has a very rigid playstyle in mind. You can't make bad choices with revenant like you could in other classes. Weapons bien soft-tied to legends also simplifies the build process for the class. I don't know why people advice against revenant, it's one of the simplest classes other than the energy managment, which isn't really even a problem with core rev nowadays with their F2 skill.

Having a fixed skill bar doesn't prevent you from making a bad build anymore than another class. You call rev simple because of how the build crafting works, but that has nothing to do with gameplay. Most people don't even do their own buildcrafting and just copy an existing one online. In combat, rev has to manage 2 weapon sets, 2 legends and energy. Even in pve where memorizing rotations pretty much cancels the energy mechanic, a good rev player still has to know when and how to best break the rotation to save energy for cc. Having played ele and engi, I would put rev on the same level of complexity as those two, with weaver being a tier above. Even engi is a bit overrated, the complexity is mostly artificial because you just have to press more buttons for the same effect.

Finally, it's not like other professions have that much freedom in skill choices. A power dps guardian will always take Bane Signet and Sword of Justice, for example. which is why power DH and WB feel like you are playing the exact same build. What they have is modularity, i.e. being able to make smaller changes to their builds, whereas revenant has to swap an entire legend. But that's still possible, for example alacrigade can take Shiro for damage, Mallyx for boon strip or Jalis for stability.

Rev is considered to have a higher skill floor because the energy system heavily punishes random skillspam, and so new players who don't have full awareness of what's going on will have trouble with the class.

But Revenant was somewhat intended to be this games version of the Shadow-Knight archetype, so mechanically it's just a warrior with some thief stuff mixed in, not too hard to understand once you have gotten over the energy-system hump. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Celestial Renegade imo is currently both the strongest and one of the easiest to play OW/solo build available (yes, more so than Scourge). 

You can just Darkrazor's Daring + Icerazor's Ire, then swap Mallyx for Embrace Darkness (Call to Anguish to gather mobs if needed), occasionally press Heroic Command for Might, and then just use weapon skills as energy is available, and do ~20k self buffed DPS while healing about 2-3k Health per second with near perma Prot uptime (and sheer perma CC'ing everything), with 2 heal skills and Stun Breaks on top, only missing a post combat convenience cleanse. 

You can basically walk through Fractals solo as if they were Queensdale on Rev.

For PvP and WvW it gets a lot more complex and challenging with managing Legend CD, Weapon Swap CD, Skill CD and Energy - but if you enjoy it, certainly go for it.

• Like 1