What advice would you give a WvW newcomer?

Gibson.4036

best advice: duck and cover 😆

without the /s :

check builds at gw2mists.com .. metabattle is rather crap

best classes+specs are guardian, revenant, necro, engi

best specs: firebrand, herald, scrouge, scrapper

usable specs: core guard, dragonhunter, reaper,

scrapper and FB need to be support. 20 times more value over dmg variants.

all dps within wvw should be power dps. condis just feed enemy scrappers and are usually low effort kill tag  builds

u find guilds and comms via your server discord. ask in team/mapchats for these

___

wvw mastery points are not thaaat crucial, nor complicated. get some supply capacity, a warclaw with 2 jumps at best and 1 point at least in glider. not really worth to ever reset the wvw mastery points.

• Like 1

Wow, I hadn't expected to get so much good advice! It's greatly appreciated everyone.

I've been Sanctum of Rall from day one, and it looks like we're near the bottom of the tiers, which is what I remember from back then. It's always seemed to be one of the servers that attracts the kinder/gentler set. 😄

It looks like there is a SoR Discord server, so I'll have to look into it. When I dipped my toe back at the beginning, TeamSpeak was what I remember using.

Now I sound like an old man sitting on the porch. 😄

2 hours ago, Gibson.4036 said:

Wow, I hadn't expected to get so much good advice! It's greatly appreciated everyone.

I've been Sanctum of Rall from day one, and it looks like we're near the bottom of the tiers, which is what I remember from back then. It's always seemed to be one of the servers that attracts the kinder/gentler set. 😄

It looks like there is a SoR Discord server, so I'll have to look into it. When I dipped my toe back at the beginning, TeamSpeak was what I remember using.

Now I sound like an old man sitting on the porch. 😄

Yeah…. At the start for me it was that dang Mumble…..  

• Like 1

hows that toxic? i mean u can just delete all the siege boxes, but the siege dropping is more of a meme than anything besides tbh

like, i dont even bother selling the siege. i stack violet blueprints at bank or just drop them somewhere at pugging. the blues just get dropped or deleted, but siege really isn't worth anything

and i heavily disagree, not everyone should really tag. like, surely u can. but unless it is very off hours, it will likely not end too well. if u know your matchup and who might tag on the other end, that may help. everyone that owns a FB can tag up on voice surely. it's easier to coordinate there.

• Like 1

My advice:
Don't roam, it's akin to self harming

If you want to support play blue class and try to maintain stability on your party.

If you want to play damage and get loot play dark green class, turn on auto target, cast to target and fast skill casting then just press random buttons.

NECRO BONUS: If you're on voice coms and the commander calls wells maybe don't spam them, maybe do, probably won't matter.

Edited by apharma.3741
  • Haha 1

Thanks again to everyone who responded, it was very helpful when I finally jumped into WvW last night. It was fun!

I got my birthday boosts out of the bank. It’s nice to finally have a use for them. Then I totally forgot to use it! Ah well, tomorrow night.

Even without, I got to wood on the skirmish track and the first tier of Warclaw, and a couple pieces of the Warclaw armor for the collection.

Ended up playing power Renegade, because I also failed to set up a Herald build! Apparently I was too excited to retain the research I’d put in beforehand.

I was a bit confused about not being able to hit invaders from the top of keep walls even with the long range of the hammer. I got to experience a couple of pulls from the wall while trying to figure out exactly how to defend. Can walls only be defended with siege equipment? Seems weird that even long range skills can’t hit enemies right underneath the walls.

Thanks again. It’s wonderful how helpful the WvW community is to newcomers.

• Like 1

There is a lot of wonderful advice in this thread, so I will just mention one thing that is almost essential if you are trying to roam (and still extremely helpful in general when not in support-heavy groups): craft some cleansing sigils. And if your artificing/huntsman-ing/weaponsmithing isn't high enough, invest the gold/mats/time into leveling it up so you can make yourself some. Having these in your builds will make a world's difference in condi matchups and will make WvW a much smoother experience.

Edited by Impling.4170
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Impling.4170 said:

There is a lot of wonderful advice in this thread, so I will just mention one thing that is almost essential if you are trying to roam (and still extremely helpful in general when not in support-heavy groups): craft some cleansing sigils. And if your artificing/huntsman-ing/weaponsmithing isn't high enough, invest the gold/mats/time into leveling it up so you can make yourself some. Having these in your builds will make a world's difference in condi matchups and will make WvW a much smoother experience.

Thanks. I just crafted my staff for my Herald this morning for roaming and noticed the gw2mists recommended a cleansing sigil. I looked it up and only saw that it was extractd from a particular item, so I put it out of mind. Your post had me go back and check, and indeed I've already got all the mats needed in storage to craft one.

Greatly appreciated!

I've only got a chance to jump into WvW once so far, but without the Warclaw found out the importance of being able to roam. If I can catch a squad at the respawn, there seem to be enough shared speed buffs to keep up on foot. When I couldn't, though, I had fun exploring around a bit and capturing a shrine or fighting a vet guard at a crossroads.