Petition to rename NPC

Warming Hearth.3819

13 minutes ago, mythical.6315 said:

Is there any source that it should be shaman over priest?

The norn have a shamanistic religion, revering the mysterious Spirits of the Wild, beings that embody the strongest, bravest, wisest, or most cunning animals of the Shiverpeaks. - GW2 Wiki

I also couldn't find mention of priests in their culture outside of Bjora Marches, so it's possible they either goofed or that guy yelling 'HEED MY WORDS! WALK IN THE LIGHT OF THE SIX!' in Hoelbrak finally converted everyone.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 12
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, mythical.6315 said:

Is there any source that it should be shaman over priest?

The source is basically all norn spiritual lore, which the official norn introduction story summarises nicely. Here's a fragment:

Unlike humans, whose priests are revered for their dedication to one god, all norn feel equally guided and befriended by the spirits. Some norn don't follow a particular path, preferring instead to revere all the Spirits of the Wild, following each whenever its lessons are relevant in their day-to-day lives. Those who choose to become shamans devote themselves to a Spirit's sacred area: a shrine, lodge, or hunting ground dedicated to their patron Spirit of the Wild. They serve their people as guardians and teachers, protecting their territory and instructing others in the lessons of the spirit they revere.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/A_Spirit_of_Legend#A_Shaman's_Burden

Edited by Warming Hearth.3819
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

• ArenaNet Staff
On 9/2/2021 at 9:38 AM, Warming Hearth.3819 said:

In the Bjora Marches map we can find the following NPCs:

All of those NPCs are part of the three meta events: The Eagle Shrine, The Ox Shrine, and The Wolverine Shrine. 

However, all of those NPCs are norn. Norn do not have priests. Those NPCs should be shamans. 

Good catch. I bugged this and made the changes in our dev environment. Editing, Loc, and Release Management all need to take their turns with it so I don't know when it'll all go live, but the process has started.

Thanks for posting the issue in such clear and concise detail. This was extremely helpful.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 28

58 minutes ago, Imba.9451 said:

Wich would be pretty sad, considering the map includes Norn-heavy lore.

Considering the entirety of IBS is focused between two races (Charr and Norn) they probably overlooked it when they did the map. Pretty easy thing to overlook as well for people who may not have been present at the time of the initial lore building. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Bobby Stein.3612 said:

Good catch. I bugged this and made the changes in our dev environment. Editing, Loc, and Release Management all need to take their turns with it so I don't know when it'll all go live, but the process has started.

Thanks for posting the issue in such clear and concise detail. This was extremely helpful.

Bobby Stein has been an absolute unit on the forums, sweet Maguuma shrooms!

• Like 3

• ArenaNet Staff
On 9/4/2021 at 9:20 AM, Imba.9451 said:

Wich would be pretty sad, considering the map includes Norn-heavy lore.

Yeah, the reality of big team development (especially on a live service game) is that over the years some staff leave and new folks join the project. Sometimes little details like these slip through the cracks but we can thankfully fix some of these issues if they're brought to our attention.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 3

Speaking of norn and spirituality, I wonder if something Warming Hearth and I discussed in wiki some time ago could also be brought to the editors' attention. Could it be possible to rename Raven, Wolf, Bear, and Snow Leopard NPCs in Braham's "Wildfire" instance to Raven Spirit, Wolf Spirit etc. for consistency's sake? For example, in previous story instances of the Icebrood Saga such as the "Still Waters Speaking" (and in earlier personal story instances such as "Romke's Final Voyage") story step, Wolf was named Wolf Spirit as an NPC. We also had the spirit monicker being used for several other spirits such as norn personal story's Minotaur Spirit, or the saga's Corrupted Eagle Spirit etc. rather than calling them Minotaur or Corrupted Eagle or something along those lines.

Granted, "Wildfire" is the first time we truly see the Great Spirits of the Wild "in the flesh" while previous instances, even "Romke's Final Voyage" and "Still Waters Speaking", could be argued to just be the Spirits' projected avatars (since Wolf Spirit only appears near his statue in Bjora), so maybe that was the developer idea behind deciding to just call them Wolf, Raven etc. in "Wildfire".

Either way, I'm glad to see some discussion around the norn subject and developer responses. Keep up the good work, Bobby, and hopefully we'll see more folks from the Narrative Team etc. chime in on the forums every now and then if their busy schedule allows them to do so. 🙂

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/3/2021 at 8:13 PM, Bobby Stein.3612 said:

The changes are live, thank you Bobby and everyone involved 😊

Just one small thing, this NPC went under the radar, forgot to mention him: Vigil Priest. He's also a norn, so he should also be changed to be a shaman. He's at the Eagle shrine.

And one very small change with this event Prove your strength to the Ox Spirit where the objective text still says Use the Ox Priest's talisman to drag offerings to the shrine. Should be Ox Shaman's talisman.

Thanks again!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • ArenaNet Staff
On 9/25/2021 at 11:49 AM, Warming Hearth.3819 said:

The changes are live, thank you Bobby and everyone involved 😊

Just one small thing, this NPC went under the radar, forgot to mention him: Vigil Priest. He's also a norn, so he should also be changed to be a shaman. He's at the Eagle shrine.

And one very small change with this event Prove your strength to the Ox Spirit where the objective text still says Use the Ox Priest's talisman to drag offerings to the shrine. Should be Ox Shaman's talisman.

Thanks again!

Thanks for the heads up. It's on my list of things to check when I have a free moment.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4