Ascended vs Legendary Inquiry - AKA I don't get it

Kashin.7192

Hi!

I am sure this has been answered a few times by now, but I can't find one that makes sense cause the answers seem to change. What is the difference between Ascended and Legendary? Is one better than the other. From what I can tell:
Ascended has set stats. Sigils/Runes/Etc cannot be removed without either a cost. Needs transmutation charges to change the appearance.
Legendary can swap stats. Sigils/Runes/Etc can be removed and swapped without cost or issue. Does not need transmutation charges to change the appearance. 

Am I missing something or is that pretty much it?

That's GW2 for ya!  No powercreep, it stopped at Ascended.  Also, I think it actually does cost a transmutation charge for Legendaries too if you want another skin.  People value the statswapping, at least I do.  And the looks and the footprints and other flashy stuff off course.  The animation of my Legendary Horn Verdarach is pretty awesome. A couple of Ghostly Warriors dashing forward when I wield it. 

But yeah, showing of Cosmetics for 2k+ gold. 

Edited by Tyncale.1629
  • Like 6

5 minutes ago, Tyncale.1629 said:

That's GW2 for ya!  No powercreep, it stopped at Ascended.  Also, I think it actually does cost a transmutation charge for Legendaries too if you want another skin.  People value the statswapping, at least I do.  And the looks and the footprints and other flashy stuff off course.  The animation of my Legendary Horn Verdarach is pretty awesome. A couple of Ghostly Warriors dashing forward when I wield it. 

But yeah, showing of Cosmetics for 2k+ gold. 

Okay, that does clear up a lot. Thank you.

I think I just found something else, you craft Legendary out of Ascended? At least for armor, so weapons too?

1 minute ago, Kashin.7192 said:

Okay, that does clear up a lot. Thank you.

I think I just found something else, you craft Legendary out of Ascended? At least for armor, so weapons too?

No…. Weapons are from exotic precursors.  Generation 1 precursors can be bought, ‘found’ or crafted.  

Gen 2 precursors can only be ‘crafted’.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Strider Pj.2193 said:

No…. Weapons are from exotic precursors.  Generation 1 precursors can be bought, ‘found’ or crafted.  

Gen 2 precursors can only be ‘crafted’.

Okay, thank you! I think I understand and know what I need to do now. Thank you for you help!

And everyone else!

Legendary items are available for all characters on the account to equip simultaneously, (if they can use the item, at least.). All while having different stats, runes, sigils, infusions and appearances on every character.

Long-term, its more cost- and time-effective to make a single Legendary armor set for example, than many Ascended. But this mostly applies to players with alts; if you only play a few characters Ascended is always going to be the better choice, especially if they're of different armor weights.

Edited by Hannelore.8153
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, LadyKitty.6120 said:

Correction: Legendary gears do NOT require Transmutation Charges. You can freely swap skins as you please. That's one of the main reasons why Kitty's been farming the armors now.

Wait wait what?

I thought you still needed transmutation charges to make them look different..?

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Strider Pj.2193 said:

Wait wait what?

I thought you still needed transmutation charges to make them look different..?

As of the Legendary Armory update they're free to transmute. Probably because every time you unequip them they lose the skin, so it would've got the devs into some hot water fairly quickly otherwise. 😛

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Hannelore.8153 said:

As of the Legendary Armory update they're free to transmute. Probably because every time you unequip them they lose the skin, so it would've got the devs into some hot water fairly quickly otherwise. 😛

I am not into the whole fashion wars thing, but that’s gonna make some people really happy lol.

There is no material difference. For example, ascended berserker just does as well as legendary berserker.

Some content in this game may require you to swap stats so that can come in handy but making another set of ascended can accomplish a similar purpose. Even buying extra template slots and fitting them with ascended (not recommended) is more cost efficient. Better to buy another character slot though that comes with its own issues.

Before the Legendary Armory, legendaries were mostly only for show, but now they can be easily used by all characters. (armor can only be used by the same weight classes of course). If you regularly play more than 4-5 characters, it starts to mean a lot more.

However, do take into account that Legendary Armor is just not about cost, but also contains a very long grind of content (Raids, PvP,, or WvW) that cannot be bypassed with gold where ascended can mostly be done by just throwing enough gold and locating the appropriate insignias or inscriptions..

Also ascended components like  Bolts of Damask are being crafted at a loss, and Spiritwood Planks are basically breakeven, so there's not even a point to crafting them manually vs buying them on the TP.

https://www.gw2bltc.com/en/item/46736-Spiritwood-Plank

https://www.gw2bltc.com/en/item/46741-Bolt-of-Damask

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Cronospere.8143 said:

Wow @ArchonWing.9480 good you mention the ascended components. I was still crafting them as daily routine. Didnt know they dropped in value. 

Deldrimor is still worth it.  (50%+ profit vs crafting it yourself)

https://www.gw2bltc.com/en/item/46738-Deldrimor-Steel-Ingot

Elonian is sorta (10% vs crafting it yourself), but w/e.

https://www.gw2bltc.com/en/item/46739-Elonian-Leather-Square

If you're not in a hurry, you can take your time to craft. These things always change, so double check before you craft or buy.

Edited by ArchonWing.9480
  • Like 1