Getting my friend into PvP. What he has to deal with

Kuma.1503

Terrible matchmaking. He expressed frustration at constantly fighting people well above his skill level. 

Afks in every other game. Since he's new and generally doesn't perform well, our teamates often take it upon themselves to flame him and leave. There needs to be actual pentalties for leaving a game

5 man premades vs 3 man premades. This heavily rigs the match in favor of the 5 man group. I remember Riot Games releasing statistics about this in the past for league of legends.  On average a 3 man premade + 2 man premade won 30% of the time vs a full 5 man premades. 

He comes from league which has something resembling good matchmaking, so these problems (and more) unfortunately didn't leave a good impression on him. Thankfully he is willing to stick it out with us, but he made it clear that if he didn't have friends to play with, he would not put up with PvP in this game.

The new player experience is paramount when it comes to maintaining the longevity of your game. I understand that poor matchmaking is a necessary evil to some extent, but there should be a stronger bias towards even matches as opposed to quicker queues. 

Afks should be properly penalized for repeat offenses. A  slap on the  wrist (Dishonor for 15 minutes) is not enough to prevent people from doing it again. 

Edited by Kuma.1503
  • Thanks 5

4 minutes ago, Kuma.1503 said:

Terrible matchmaking. He expressed frustration at constantly fighting people well above his skill level. 

Afks in every other game. Since he's new and generally doesn't perform well, our teamates often take it upon themselves to flame him and leave. There needs to be actual pentalties for leaving a game

5 man premades vs 3 man premades. This heavily rigs the match in favor of the 5 man group. I remember Riot Games releasing statistics about this in the past for league of legends.  On average a 3 man premade + 2 man premade won 30% of the time vs a full 5 man premades. 

He comes from league which has something resembling good matchmaking, so these problems (and more) unfortunately didn't leave a good impression on him. Thankfully he is willing to stick it out with us, but he made it clear that if he didn't have friends to play with, he would not put up with PvP in this game.

The new player experience is paramount when it comes to maintaining the longevity of your game. I understand that poor matchmaking is a necessary evil to some extent, but there should be a stronger bias towards even matches as opposed to quicker queues. 

Afks should be properly penalized for repeat offenses. A simple slap on the  wrist (Dishonor for 15 minutes) is not enough to prevent people from simply doing it again. 

Anybody who starts PvP in a MMO these days, should keep his/her expectations to a bare minimum, the undeniable truth is that MMO are not made anymore with PvP in mind since....2000, the biggest pull is now PvErs playing "dress up" while narrating their life story and sharing personal art. I don't know why somebody looking for online competition would want to try his luck in a MMO when moba and online shooters are available, but if your friend is that determined in "killing" players then bring him over to WvW, that's the best "competitive" experience the average casual will have in GW2...other solution would be to join some try hard circle for PvP

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Kuma.1503 said:

Afks should be properly penalized for repeat offenses. A  slap on the  wrist (Dishonor for 15 minutes) is not enough to prevent people from doing it again. 

I hate to sound discouraging, but this is NOT the game for a person to come in primarily for a PvP experience. Structured PvP (sPvP) is largely unsupported by the dev team and relies almost entirely on automated tournaments for their "esport" scene. Botting is absolutely rampant in lower level ranked play, where as many as 6 out of 10 players are often botting (albeit you'll typically only see one or two per game). Actual game balance is a joke with low-risk high-reward builds being fairly common.

World PvP and the various PvE modes are absolutely a different experience and can often feel extremely rewarding, especially for newer players. WvW can be daunting, but have your friend get into a pug raid in discord and he'll have a blast. Most people are extremely helpful in those communities.

If your friend likes the team-based arena style PvP gameplay that something like sPvP offers , I'd tell him to temper his expectations, because it's going to be an awful experience for hundreds of hours unless he has friends that can teach him good habits from the beginning. ELO hell is real in sPvP because of how lower Elo players play compared to higher level. It's almost a different game between 1200 elo and 1500.

Edited by bLind.6278
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

Does he queue ranked or unranked? Cause unranked the matchmaking is messy. In ranked its better but if you hand up in mid/low silver you'll have to deal with bot and afkers/leavers so ye... Not that fun for new players. You should duel with him and help him learn the game so he can climb at least gold and have better games

Edited by Guirssane.7082

8 minutes ago, Guirssane.7082 said:

Does he queue ranked or unranked? Cause unranked the matchmaking is messy. In ranked its better but if you hand up in mid/low silver you'll have to deal with bot and afkers/leavers so ye... Not that fun for new players. You should duel with him

and help him learn the game so he can climb at least gold and have better games

↓     ↓     ↓     ↓     ↓     ↓     ↓     ↓     ↓     ↓     ↓     ↓     ↓     ↓     ↓     ↓     ↓     ↓     ↓     ↓     ↓     ↓     ↓     ↓    ↓     ↓     ↓     ↓     ↓     ↓

1 hour ago, Kuma.1503 said:

Edited by Metzie.3012

Just now, Metzie.3012 said:

↓     ↓     ↓     ↓     ↓     ↓     ↓     ↓     ↓     ↓     ↓     ↓     ↓     ↓     ↓     ↓     ↓     ↓     ↓     ↓     ↓     ↓     ↓     ↓    ↓     ↓     ↓     ↓     ↓     ↓

ye I was too lazy to edit

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, Kuma.1503 said:

things i've been pointing out for a while

even for a experienced player unranked can be very frustrating, i was playing morning time and i would face the same 3, 4 man premade as a solo player, to the point i added them to my friendlist to dodge them....in unranked, cuz i lost every single game i wasn't place with a 3 man pt at least.

punishing players is an issue i already lost hope, bots playing average 2k games every  season and not get banned, and all we get is an "investigating" status, when it's crystal clear to the whole community those are bots.

• Like 1

Everyone should just move to the wvw roaming scene.  Id rather learn pvp by roaming and dueling than conquest.

Step 1 learn the in and outs of a class

Step 2 learn favorable and unfavorable match ups

Step 3 learn roles and rotation

Step 4 keep playing until you reach mastery. Also multi classing really helps you learn the weaknesses of each profession.

• Confused 1

Thanks for the advice. We'll try dueling him to help him learn the basics. 

I never thought about adding 5 man premades so you can dodge them. We he end up running into to the same people often

As for moving over to WvW... 

We'll all start recieving pips in 8 days so... That might be what we end up doing  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Edited by Kuma.1503

8 hours ago, FrownyClown.8402 said:

Everyone should just move to the wvw roaming scene.  Id rather learn pvp by roaming and dueling than conquest.

Step 4 keep playing until you reach mastery. Also multi classing really helps you learn the weaknesses of each profession.

WvW pvp is sooo yikes. Gear disparity, food disparity, level disparity, some crap that never got fixed because technically it is pve.  If you happen to be on zerg or dead server gl finding any match ups. I couldn't on my server for most part - enemy would rather bring 20 people right away if they see me and i dare to kill someone.

I would say dueling arenas are way better for learning how to fight other classes/players.

Edited by Cynz.9437

22 hours ago, FrownyClown.8402 said:

I tried wvw roaming back when I was starting out the game, and honestly it's awful.

You need to walk around half an hour to find a single person to fight,

You need to pray they have somewhat similar gear level otherwise you start off with a handicap cause you're running exotics and some mis-matched trinkets, while the opponent is some 5000 hour full legendary dude,

You probably already are at a handicap anyway cuz they have the expensive food and utility buffs up and you don't,

Pray that he's alone and you're not about to get jumped by 5 other people,

Pray that a zerg is not around the corner to ruin your fight,

If the opponent is a thief or some other highly mobile class, prepare for them to run off when low health, depending on your class there's probably no chance for you to catch up, denying you the kill despite the fact you pretty much won the fight, which is just boring and unsatisfying.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Hirosama Nadasaki.6792 said:

I tried wvw roaming back when I was starting out the game, and honestly it's awful.

The easiest way to have fun in WvW is to find a tag that is leading a zerg and join them. It's even better if they have a discord.

If you plan on roaming and ganking then you need to be good enough and prepared enough to actually beat someone in combat. Bringing your random PvE gear and build to a WvW match is not going to work. Bringing a PVP-tailored build that is designed to gank can lead to winning 1v2's with ease if those 2 people are in their PvE gear and build.

Edited by Silverpoopoo.1476