Hope this isn't a controversial question (it's armor related)

Marikus.1875

But when a new expansion comes out, will we get new armor styles that can be earned/achieved in game (not the cash shop)? I understand progression is horizontal so we don't have the "gear treadmill" here like we do in WoW. But I still enjoy farming for new armor aesthetics that usually thematically come with new expacs. 

Does GW2 function this way where new expacs bring new armor styles or is it just cosmetic outfits tied to the cash shop?

• Thanks 1

There will almost certainly be new armour sets you can earn in the expansion.

The Wiki has galleries of all the available armour sets for each race/gender/armour weight (here's one example, you can find the rest using the link at the bottom of the page) they're grouped by how they're obtained and each set's page will give you more details.

There's also a list of armour pieces which aren't part of a set: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/List_of_non-set_armor_pieces

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Marikus.1875 said:

Wow most of these look great! Can these be mixed and matched?

All armor sets can be mixed and matched. The only exception is that cultural armor can only be used on characters of the appropriate race and that light medium and heavy armors need to be used on light medium and heavy characters.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Marikus.1875 said:

Wow most of these look great! Can these be mixed and matched?

Yes they can.

Armour skins are an entirely separate system to the one-piece outfits. You unlocked them by equipping or destroying (but not selling) an item with that skin and they go into the wardrobe tab of the hero panel, which you can use to customise the appearance of each armour piece individually. Once a skin is in the wardrobe it's there forever and you can use it as many times as you like, but it does cost transmutation charges to apply the skin to an equipment piece.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Marikus.1875 said:

But when a new expansion comes out, will we get new armor styles that can be earned/achieved in game (not the cash shop)? I understand progression is horizontal so we don't have the "gear treadmill" here like we do in WoW. But I still enjoy farming for new armor aesthetics that usually thematically come with new expacs. 

Does GW2 function this way where new expacs bring new armor styles or is it just cosmetic outfits tied to the cash shop?

Cantha was very popular in GW1 and has a more Asian aesthetic. Some outfits will be available via the gem shop but Anet tends to strike a good balance between things that you can earn in game and things you can buy from the gem store.

Based on prior expansions, we are likely to get a handful of new armours with the expansion.

I just hope there are some simplistic designs on them, unlike most of what came with HoT and PoF.

I'd love to see armour akin to the Monk Canthan or Kurzick armour, preferably without choker and without the pants covering the belly button.

Just don't turn them into outfits, Arenanet!

Edited by Fueki.4753

16 hours ago, Marikus.1875 said:

You can do any of the content you like in the game and turn those rewards into gold and then turn that gold into gems and then use the gems to buy the cosmetics in the store, so technically you already can farm for new aesthetic items (and anything else on the store).

This is actually what I have always considered to be my "end game content", because I don't do the raids and pvp stuff, etc. It's kind of neat actually, because it means that every little thing I do to enjoy myself in the game (apart from standing around enjoying the view I suppose...) directly helps get me closer to my goals. So cool, right?!

That said though, as far as human time is concerned it's at least15x more efficient to work a minimum wage job and buy gems with real money than it is to convert gold to gems. So if you have a job, it's actually in your best interest to buy gems with money rather than spending a huge amount of time grinding gold in the game if you don't truly enjoy the grind. Your time is probably the most valuable thing you'll ever have.

Edited by Tatwi.3562