Thief gets so much hate that's is honestly frightening.

Krynji.5130

On 10/26/2021 at 4:31 PM, Kuma.1503 said:

The never ending thief hate is because it is inherently frustrating design. 

People get frustrated when they percieve a situation as either unfair, or when they feel powerless to change it. 

Thief, with its god-tier reset potential and safety thanks to shadow arts, subjects players to both situations. 

There is nothing you, the player can do to force things into your favor. It's on the thief to mess up and give you that opportunity. You can neither force a kill on a thief or run from a thief. They are faster than you and they will catch you... 

If they are playing shadow arts deadeye in WvW and they're hell bent on being a nuisance, there's not much you can do to stop them from chasing you down with skirmishing shot, keeping you perma crippled while they have perma swiftness. There isnt' always a LoS spot avaiable if you're stuck in an open field. If you try to engage them they can port away and stealth and slowly kill you as you waste cooldowns fruitlessly trying to close the gap

Feeling powerless to change your current situation is one definition of frustration.

Meanwhile, the thief can repeatedly fish for mistakes and reset indefinately, making the encounter feel unfair, like your opponent holds all the cards. 

That feeling of inequity is the other main cause of frustration. 

That's why thief hate will never end. It has nothing to do with how strong/weak the class is, Thief is subjects you to the two situations that are most known to cause frustration for us humans. So long as that is the case, thief will be the most hated class. 

I dont feel frustrated when a thief hits and hide, because I can counterreact in different ways. I feel frustrated when a mesmer or warrior stuns me 3 times in a row and there's nothing I can do, I'm frustrated when a druid throw me 2 roots in  row and I cannot scape. For me it's way more frustraing certain abusive CC skills from other classes than  stealth.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3