Legendary gen. 3 account bound?

51 minutes ago, Gehenna.3625 said:

There's nothing legendary about being able to buy something off the TP. So I'm happy with the gen2 weapons being account bound. Mind you, I'm more concerned about how they look at this point. There have been quite a few legendaries that had let's say questionable design, particularly in gen1. Gen2 was already a lot better. 

I'm a bit ambiguous about this though because if Gen3 has a lot of cool skins all of a sudden, it'll be a lot of work for me lol.

Well weve already seen the Aurene themed 'set' for Gen 3, leading many to call it a mere BLC set.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

15 hours ago, Zalavaaris.5329 said:

Yes they are! But not more powerful. Thats the discussion. 

You are looking at it from a purely base stat decision which is why you are wrong. They are more powerful because a legendary has multiple factors of use. Look at it this way; if we both owned the exact same car, identical.... except mine can transform into a plane and fly off. It might have the same speed but it becomes more powerful due to scope of what it can do. This is what you are failing to comprehend.

• Like 2
  • Confused 3

42 minutes ago, Turial.1293 said:

You are looking at it from a purely base stat decision which is why you are wrong. They are more powerful because a legendary has multiple factors of use. Look at it this way; if we both owned the exact same car, identical.... except mine can transform into a plane and fly off. It might have the same speed but it becomes more powerful due to scope of what it can do. This is what you are failing to comprehend.

That is a really BAD analogy between driving and flying. The things that make legendaries more useful than ascended gear is the ease of stat swapping at zero cost as well as the zero cost of mod removal (runes, infusions etc.) and of course the legendary armory now, so you can use it on more characters. However the cost of these legendary items is so high that overall it's not cheaper than creating multiple sets of ascended gear per character unless you have a LOT of them and even then ascended gear is account bound so you can swap them between characters.

So really it's more about convenience and looks (though that's down to taste as) and nothing more and in the end the use of them is the same once equipped. It's a difference of convenience not actual functionality during combat.

4 hours ago, Gehenna.3625 said:

There's nothing legendary about being able to buy something off the TP. So I'm happy with the gen2 weapons being account bound. Mind you, I'm more concerned about how they look at this point. There have been quite a few legendaries that had let's say questionable design, particularly in gen1. Gen2 was already a lot better. 

I'm a bit ambiguous about this though because if Gen3 has a lot of cool skins all of a sudden, it'll be a lot of work for me lol.

They wont all of the gen 3 will have the same theme as the one in the video.

On 9/3/2021 at 9:07 PM, Veprovina.4876 said:

I sincerely hope they're account bound. All legendaries should be account bound.

I agree to this 100%, would show that who ever has a legendary worked for it rather than bought it off the market place. Then again this being said the bare minimum they'd have to do is do the world completion and WvW then buy the rest.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Smoosh.2718 said:

I agree to this 100%, would show that who ever has a legendary worked for it rather than bought it off the market place. Then again this being said the bare minimum they'd have to do is do the world completion and WvW then buy the rest.

Not true that you can buy the rest.

For gen2 legendaries you need the gifts bought from the vendors  with currency.

You need to have enough currency to spend on obsidian shards, and the legendary fragments if not making Hope, Nevermore, Champa and Chukawat or Astralaria which requires collections that also means you have to play the game.

You need 250 Piles of Auric Dust, Airship Oil, Leyline Sparks and Crystalline ore, which only can be gotten from playing hot.

Edited by LucianDK.8615
  • Confused 1

15 hours ago, Linken.6345 said:

They wont all of the gen 3 will have the same theme as the one in the video.

Well there's no accounting for taste. I didn't care much for the one in the video, but that's more of a design thing for me, not a theme thing. So there may still be others that I will like.

15 hours ago, BlueJin.4127 said:

There’s nothing legendary about buying 50k mithril ores and elder woods, either.

Sure but there's still a lot of things that you have to do for them that can't be bought. And it's at least a legendary amount of materials...not eco-friendly at all really 😉 

• Confused 1

On 9/5/2021 at 12:27 AM, Zalavaaris.5329 said:

Yes they are! But not more powerful. Thats the discussion. 

You equate power of an item with power of an individual that wields it. You also see being able to beat someone as the only measure of power. In reality, power is a word with a much wider meaning than just personal might.

For example, there's a ton of people in the world that are more powerful than you are, even if in 1v1 confrontation you would be able to easily bash their faces in.

And power of convenience is also a thing.

Edited by Astralporing.1957
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, LucianDK.8615 said:

Not true that you can buy the rest.

For gen2 legendaries you need the gifts bought from the vendors  with currency.

You need to have enough currency to spend on obsidian shards, and the legendary fragments if not making Hope, Nevermore, Champa and Chukawat or Astralaria which requires collections that also means you have to play the game.

You need 250 Piles of Auric Dust, Airship Oil, Leyline Sparks and Crystalline ore, which only can be gotten from playing hot.

Those parts yes have to be earnt but the Raw mat spam ie the T6 x 250 can all be bought.

In some ways I respect someone more for having a Gen 2 legendary over a Gen 1, and even more so when its one of the first Gen 2's! HOPE, Astralaria and Nevermore as these had a very long collection you had to do first.

I do hope that Anet has made the Gen3 set all account bound on aquire and not tradable else their value becomes minimal.

• Confused 3
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

You equate power of an item with power of an individual that wields it. You also see being able to beat someone as the only measure of power. In reality, power is a word with a much wider meaning than just personal might.

For example, there's a ton of people in the world that are more powerful than you are, even if in 1v1 confrontation you would be able to easily bash their faces in.

And power of convenience is also a thing.

It's semantics I guess. If we want to call convenience and quality of life power then so be it. There's just not unfair advantage to them. You could make multiple ascended items and buy larger bags to make up for the space difference for less than the cost of a legendary so at the end of the day I only think of stats as power. But if we are arguing semantics we will never see eye to eye based on our own definitions. 

So I'll say this, if more convenience is power then yes, they are more convenient than any other item in the game. Can you agree that they provide no statistical advantage? Because that was 100% my argument. 

• Like 1

As far as I'm concerned, the only issue I see with legendaries as they currently are (although it's a big problem) is that free stat changing is locked behind them

That was such a terrible decision and I don't care what anybody says. GW2 has some of the best combat and build diversity of any MMO save of course for the legendary GW1 (no pun intended) and being forced to diddle around with multiple weapons/armors just to be able to change your stats on the fly unless you do this MASSIVE grind quest is stupid and ridiculously annoying. And even IF you do all the work for a legendary, congratulations. You have a legendary! ... For one weapon type. And all the classes (even the Ele now too) use at least two weapons on hot-swap. So to get full flexibility for all weapon types for all classes, you gotta do the same huge-as-**** grind, lessee... 1, 2, 3...

SIXTEEN TIMES. And that's just the ****ing weapons. We haven't even talked about legendary armor yet, so go ahead and add another 3 items for each armor class to the set, meaning you gotta grind almost 20 DIFFERENT TIMES JUST TO HAVE THE CONVENIENCE OF CHANGING YOUR BUILD ON THE FLY for all the classes!

In Guild Wars 1? Just go to the class stats screen and change it.

Edited by Arnox.5128
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

19 hours ago, Smoosh.2718 said:

Those parts yes have to be earnt but the Raw mat spam ie the T6 x 250 can all be bought.

In some ways I respect someone more for having a Gen 2 legendary over a Gen 1, and even more so when its one of the first Gen 2's! HOPE, Astralaria and Nevermore as these had a very long collection you had to do first.

I do hope that Anet has made the Gen3 set all account bound on aquire and not tradable else their value becomes minimal.

I dont respect anyone who has a weapon. They are easy to obtain, and honestly should all be sellable. I have 16 of them, Including Hope, and soon to be Aatralaria, i bought 90% of the materials required to craft them, would have bought 100% if i could have, or bought them outright.

Legendary? No. They are a gold and mat sink, thats all, and letting them be sold on the trading post would IMO(yes i realize its an opinion), change nothing.

The only legendaries that hold any respect at all are the armor sets and backpacks, and its been that way since launch. Not a bad thing either in my book.

More options for aquisition harm no one when it comes to weapons. Someone still had to make the weapon to sell it afterall and with these new Gen 3 BLC i mean Aurene weapon set that all look similiar, i really do hope they go back to being tradeable.

Edited by Dante.1763
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Dante.1763 said:

I dont respect anyone who has a weapon. They are easy to obtain, and honestly should all be sellable. I have 16 of them, Including Hope, and soon to be Aatralaria, i bought 90% of the materials required to craft them, would have bought 100% if i could have, or bought them outright.

Legendary? No. They are a gold and mat sink, thats all, and letting them be sold on the trading post would IMO(yes i realize its an opinion), change nothing.

The only legendaries that hold any respect at all are the armor sets and backpacks, and its been that way since launch. Not a bad thing either in my book.

More options for aquisition harm no one when it comes to weapons. Someone still had to make the weapon to sell it afterall and with these new Gen 3 BLC i mean Aurene weapon set that all look similiar, i really do hope they go back to being tradeable.

Why are armors and backpacks more prestigious, going to assume that's synonymous with "respect", to you?

If more ways to acquire legendary weapons is beneficial in that adding them to the trading post is of a benefit, why not also make armor, backpacks and trinkets  tradeable? Surely the added benefit extends to all slots?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Cyninja.2954 said:

Why are armors and backpacks more prestigious, going to assume that's synonymous with "respect", to you?

If more ways to acquire legendary weapons is beneficial in that adding them to the trading post is of a benefit, why not also make armor, backpacks and trinkets  tradeable? Surely the added benefit extends to all slots?

Sure, id be down for that too. I dont have an issue with ascended/legendary items being tradeable.

1 hour ago, Dante.1763 said:

Sure, id be down for that too. I dont have an issue with ascended/legendary items being tradeable.

So you agree that the inherent perception of armors and backpacks is that they are more prestigious, yet are more than willing to give that up because you believe that allowing players to simply buy every legendary off the TP is better.

See, and that is where others disagree.

I don't know where this mentality came from that every game should allow players to credit warrior their way to every reward there is, and GW2 certainly already allows one to circumvent almost everything with real money gem purchases, but I personally disagree with it.

Granted I am also end 30 and come from a generation where we played games for fun and not only shinnies and the first reflex wasn't "oh I can buy that and can skip all game play associated with it", but then again times change.

This is going beyond the topic creators question though, which was to bring this back on topic: what chance is there that gen 3 legendarys will be account bound? To which I already gave as example the development we have seen in game in which legendary items have transitioned to account bound and have been account bound for a while, indicating that future legendary items might be account bound too.

Edited by Cyninja.2954

1 minute ago, Cyninja.2954 said:

So you agree that the inherent perception of armors and backpacks is that they are more prestigious, yet are more than willing to give that up because you believe that allowing players to simply buy every legendary off the TP is better.

See, and that is where others disagree.

I don't know where this mentality came from that every game should allow players to credit warrior their way to every reward there is, and GW2 certainly already allows one to circumvent almost everything with real money gem purchases, but I personally disagree with it.

Granted I am also end 30 and come from a generation where we played games for fun and not only shinnies and the first reflex wasn't "oh I can buy that and can skip all game play associated with it", but then again times change.

And thats fine, you can disagree. Im well aware its all opinion based. I play games for fun too, i dont find grinding fun.

Not to mention for current legendary armors i dont enjoy any of the ways to aquire it, so im stuck picking which of 3 routes is more enjoyable, of the least enjoyable modes, and due to that im actually taking a break from the game at the moment. Raids killed my desire to login.

Doing content i enjoy and eventually buying a weapon/armor/ etc is more fun to me than the methods of grind that anet has in game. Not to mention if a player *hates the crafting system*.

It not a "NEED IT NOW" mind set as you seem to think.

Plus, outright credit carding weapons is expensive. Ive done it twice, i bought Kudzu for my mom and Juggernaut for my dad, both for christmas. Would have loved to buy Chuppa for my mom but one cannot, much sad.

I earn my own gold by selling off stuff i gain doing content i enjoy. Sometimes i convert gems to gold too, but its never 8000 gems worth.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, mtpelion.4562 said:

My preference would be for all Legendary items to be tradable on the TP, but I know that they will make them account bound on acquire because they hate being successful and slowly want to copy and paste all of the worst parts of WoW into GW2.

None should be tradable on the TP. Bound, you make people play the game instead of being complete credit card warriors. 

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, LucianDK.8615 said:

None should be tradable on the TP. Bound, you make people play the game instead of being complete credit card warriors. 

What difference does it make to you if some players want to directly fund continued development of the game via the use of credit card purchases?

What difference does it make to you if some other players want to play how they want and enjoy specific types of content, earn gold, and use that gold to buy a legendary?

I'm genuinely baffled every time I hear the argument that other people's enjoyment of the game should be limited because they aren't getting Legendary items the way YOU want them to.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, mtpelion.4562 said:

What difference does it make to you if some players want to directly fund continued development of the game via the use of credit card purchases?

What difference does it make to you if some other players want to play how they want and enjoy specific types of content, earn gold, and use that gold to buy a legendary?

I'm genuinely baffled every time I hear the argument that other people's enjoyment of the game should be limited because they aren't getting Legendary items the way YOU want them to.

Once players have no more goals to work towards, they tend to leave a game.

I'm genuinely baffled every time I hear the argument that paying to skip content is a good idea business wise, especially once those players have bought everything they thought they wanted, only to grow bored and leave the game.

Small reminder:

Ascended gear was added to this game with the intent to STOP player hemorrhage from players leaving after gearing up to fast. Funny how now some consider this to not be a risk any longer.

Edited by Cyninja.2954
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1