A follow up to the 'Status Reset' change introduced on August 31

Fire Attunement.9835

Could we get the ability to equip different weapons while casting back? It was great for taking silly screenshots (e.g. casting Empower and then equipping a greatsword).

Edit: Will aegis/swiftness still be wiped at the start of 100cm/raid encounters?

Edited by cat.8975
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

16 minutes ago, Fire Attunement.9835 said:

In the near term, we are adding 'Stealth' to the buffs removed when you change traits or templates, as we believe this will be a positive change to the competitive environment in World vs. World gameplay.

Will this also have the exclusion of weapons? Let's say I am swapping to hammer to mighty blow blast in a smoke field and then unequip my hammer, will my stealth be removed? I think this is an important clarification needed.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

>> In the near term, we are adding 'Stealth' to the buffs removed when you change traits or templates, as we believe this will be a positive change to the competitive environment in World vs. World gameplay.

huh? idk about that...................
either way weird nerf to scrapper in gvg lol

• Haha 2
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

• Status Reset will no longer occur when changing an equipped weapon from your inventory or the hero panel.

But isn't the point of removing boons on something like equipment template swap to prevent abuse? Then why let people keep their boons on weapon swap? Also isn't that "playing the UI" more then playing the game?

Isn't allowing that also betraying this part of your message?

To safeguard against exploits in PvE and WvW where the benefits from some skills or traits could be used without being a part of the player’s current build or skill loadout.

The rest I think is perfectly reasonable. 

EDIT: Also can singular trait changes not remove boons? Feels rough to change a single trait. On the other hand, too many changes at once can be exploited so some sort of middle ground is needed there.

Edited by Blademaster.6123
Clarify another change I'd like to see.
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 5

2 minutes ago, Vova.2640 said:

>> In the near term, we are adding 'Stealth' to the buffs removed when you change traits or templates, as we believe this will be a positive change to the competitive environment in World vs. World gameplay.

huh? idk about that...................
either way weird nerf to scrapper in gvg lol

There is no template switching or trait switching , you would still be on scrapper. Unless you mean blasting smoke, which can be done with healbrand staff 2 or many other skills there isn't much change there.

This is a change that mainly affects PVE and WVW when people use more than one template to perform things such as pre-stack boons while not running that build or equipment.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Thank you. I'm happy there could be some sort of compromise but I'm still a little sad it's just for weapons and you lose all boons if you change 1 trait that doesn't have any effect on your boons. Preferably I'd just go back to the way it was. It's a good change but I can't say I'm completely satisfied with this.

Edited by Jokuc.3478
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 6

17 minutes ago, cat.8975 said:

Could we get the ability to equip different weapons while casting back? It was great for taking silly screenshots (e.g. casting Empower and then equipping a greatsword).

That's not a justification to restore what is essentially a bug. Such a screenshot is silly because it says "look at me, I'm breaking the game".

Edited by Sol Solus.3167
  • Like 3
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, Infusion.7149 said:

There is no template switching or trait switching , you would still be on scrapper. Unless you mean blasting smoke, which can be done with healbrand staff 2 or many other skills there isn't much change there.

This is a change that mainly affects PVE and WVW when people use more than one template to perform things such as pre-stack boons while not running that build or equipment.

?
Currently scrappers utilize swapping build templates in gvg to quickly go between equipped skills for providing/blasting smoke and then revealing the other group.
bomb kit+rocket boots then util goggles for the reveal and lastly back to healing skills (if was not put in combat)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Vova.2640 said:

?
Currently scrappers utilize swapping build templates in gvg to quickly go between equipped skills for providing/blasting smoke and then revealing the other group.
bomb kit+rocket boots then util goggles for the reveal and lastly back to healing skills (if was not put in combat)

That would be non-existent if they followed through on their initial assertion that templates would only be swappable out of combat in keeps or at spawn.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

52 minutes ago, Fire Attunement.9835 said:

Status Reset will no longer occur when changing an equipped weapon from your inventory or the hero panel.

While I think that is okay, I do think that the cooldowns from the used skills should be applied on the weapon slot and not the weapon skill.

So lets say I have Longbow on my weapon 2 as Ranger, I use Barrage and then swap my weapon 2 from Longbow to my Greatsword, my Hit Bash would still have the remaining cooldown from the Barrage. My weapon 1 skills wouldn't be affected by that though because Ranger can use 2 weapons in combat.

3 hours ago, Fire Attunement.9835 said:

When game systems operate under clear and transparent rules, and when those rules are as intuitive as possible ... GW2's combat is fast and fluid, as is the experience of exploring and traversing the game world. The last thing we want to do is introduce extra friction that diminishes the fun spots where GW2 really shines.

I often times feel the need to change a single trait when I want to go from fighting some trash mobs to fighting a boss mob that just spawned (e.g. "Be Quick or Be Killed" -> "Maleficent Seven") which already feels like a pace breaker and now the game is even punishing me for that. At least give us the option to select different traits for each weapon set within the context of the selected build and don't reset boons if you change traits though weapon swap via that method. There is nothing "fluid" or "intuitive" about having to run out of combat to change some traits depending on the type of enemy the game throws at me. The whole idea of a weapon swap system it to carry and switch through multiple weapons in order to adapt to various situations on the fly without further inconveniences and the underlying systems should be working with, not against, this.

Edited by Tails.9372
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

Will Anet then address legendary weapons impossibility to keep their sigils, stats and infusion?

Also since you're at it, in all fairness, what about addressing mail and guild transaction system wouldn't you say that limiting the mail system to a maximum amount of items, adding a 20% tax fee for every transaction, and lower the maximum gold is "necessary for positive improvements to the stability of the trading post, and to safeguard against tax evasion exploits lowering greatly the initial production cost of some items in the trading post, and then using those items as a currency as opposed to gold. "

Wouldn't that "protect the intent and integrity of game systems, but also in how they impact the players".

Like, am I reading this properly? Are you gonna use ambiguous words to attempt and explain how 9 years old mechanics now need a "necessary" change? Yet overlook some other aspect of the game. When weapon precast clearly didn't impact the PvE community that much and contributed to the small things that made GW2 so special.

Edited by tim.4596
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 9
  • Sad 2

A reasonable approach.

All that would be left would be the ability to save a a reasonable number of 'favorite' presets for legendary weapons, so they can be swapped like gear in the inventory can.

So if you swap your berserker dagger with a  force legendary sigil and Anton's blade skin for a Scepter with Emberglow, bursting sigil and viper stats, the dagger keeps those changes for that equipment template. 

• Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Fire Attunement.9835 said:

[...]

Status Reset will no longer occur when changing an equipped weapon from your inventory or the hero panel.
[...]

First all, thank you for changing weapon swap reset!

Could you please clarify either here or in future notes the justification for reseting buffs on singular trait swap? I can see how removing the ability to obtain combat benefit from what are essentially "macros" built in to the game for QoL is aligned with the philosophy of "one button press, on action". On the other hand, swapping weapons or traits manually within the same template is still one button press for one action, and if you can execute these changes manually quickly enough to be effective, it doesn't seem to make sense to penalise the player.

This line specifically:

When game systems operate under clear and transparent rules, and when those rules are as intuitive as possible, the game is more approachable and learnable for everyone.

doesn't really make sense in the context of these changes. A consistent ruleset for buff removal would either be everything removed if a build (skills, traits, weapons) changes in any way at all - which I'm not proposing incidentally - or, buffs are removed on any change that is considered a "macro-enhanced" change: clicking templates, template hotkeys. Buffs being removed if you manually change traits from one section of the hero panel, but not if you manually change weapons from another section of the hero panel, seems more inconsistent.

Great follow up. I am glad weapons are back on the menu. ☺️

2 hours ago, Fire Attunement.9835 said:

We will continue to evaluate the boons and buffs that are removed by this reset and update as necessary in future patches.

I don't think it's necessary to exclude certain stuff, but what triggers the status reset. Like if you swap your gear template with all sorts of buffs, you do it on purpose and imo everything should be removed.

Traits can be abused, but are a minimal factor at the end as long as your allies would lose unique buffs too. Either keep everything on trait template swap or remove everything. No middle ground.

But I have no insight on eod especs, so that could change ofc. 

Edited by JayKay.5649

2 hours ago, Fire Attunement.9835 said:

When game systems operate under clear and transparent rules, and when those rules are as intuitive as possible, the game is more approachable and learnable for everyone

Are you actually implying that not losing all your boons is confusing? Are you suggesting players expect to have all their buffs wiped clean when they make a tiny change to their build, such as a single trait?

Common sense would dictate otherwise. But then again, many of your decisions go against common sense.

• Like 7
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

The real issue here is that, this is hiding a bigger problem. Being build/gear templates have many flaws, their most apparent one being literally breaking game performances as it seems. And now niche communities are going to pay the price, with having 9y/o mechanics revoked for what is going to serve as an immediate fix, when the real problem still remains. Build and Gear templates "NEEDS" a serious rework.

Edited by tim.4596
  • Like 6
  • Confused 2

Honestly I do not like that buffs are removed, and especially not stealth because that changes a fundamental part of gameplay that I enjoy for GvG and WvW in general. Keeping things like swiftness, aegis and stability would be preferable if it had to happen. Equipment/Template swapping was a great QoL, but now one of the benefits that enhanced gameplay is being nerfed and it will just make it more difficult, but not impossible to achieve similar results. People will have to go back to OOC swapping with inventories open, and that (imo) is a step backwards in the evolution of the game. 

• Like 4
  • Confused 2