So Why Does Every Story Instance Degenerate Into A Massive Slog?

Kraggy.4169

Having just completed LW5S3 as well the LW4 replays I have a question of ANet developers which I know won't be answered: why is every boos fight in pretty much ever story instance just a boss with a massive damage sponge spamming AoEs to ensure at 25% of the time (usually more) you're not doing any damage?

As the designer your job is to make it 'fun' .. where's the 'fun' in taking upwards of 10 mins to kill a boss, largely caused by the ice attacks most mobs do in LW5 .. not to mention the fatuous end fight in LW4 "A Kindness Repaid" where you can't actually lose BY DESIGN!

Is it hard?  Not really, it's just bloody annoying having to run around like a headless chicken much of the time to get out of the orange nasty.

Is it engaging? Hell NO, it's just another boss with a massive health pool, AoE spam and some kind of slow/knockdown/whatever interrupt.

But then that's point of the design isn't it?  It must be  because these layers of aggravation are by design piled on one another to ensure the fight takes twice as long or more than it needs to for it's role in the game.

These aren't dungeons, these aren't raids, keep your mechanic-heavy encounters for content people CHOOSE to do and out of content people HAVE to do if they're to even see the next zone .. oh yes, I find it interesting in the base game every zone is accessible at level one .. every addition since then has been tramlined by quest-gating.  Sad.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 7

I enjoy the story fights. Most of them are pretty enjoyable. Of course they're no raid battles but they hold up their own. I agree some fights are annoying and badly designed. Although the vast majority ranges from fine to good.  In fact the fight of ''A kindness repaid" is one of the better ones in my opinion. Also, the story fights aren't meant to be hard or loseable. You are meant to win them so you can progress to the story, it is by design. 

I agree that the zones being blocked by story can be annoying for alts. Though i don't see why this justifies this level of frustration. 

Also, 'fun' is subjective. As evidenced here where i enjoy most of the fights and you don't. While this is a ranty post with i do hope the devs take posts like this serious as there is valuable feedback in them even though i do not agree with you.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Soulsignnuub.2098 said:

I enjoy the story fights. Most of them are pretty enjoyable. Of course they're no raid battles but they hold up their own. I agree some fights are annoying and badly designed. Although the vast majority ranges from fine to good.  In fact the fight of ''A kindness repaid" is one of the better ones in my opinion. Also, the story fights aren't meant to be hard or loseable. You are meant to win them so you can progress to the story, it is by design. 

I agree that the zones being blocked by story can be annoying for alts. Though i don't see why this justifies this level of frustration. 

Also, 'fun' is subjective. As evidenced here where i enjoy most of the fights and you don't. While this is a ranty post with i do hope the devs take posts like this serious as there is valuable feedback in them even though i do not agree with you.

Not true.

You can use portal tomes to bypass story blocks.

Which bosses aren't hp sponges? The bounties are my favourite, like Anet listening to the playerbase and then just farting out the ultimate in hp sponge clusterflupps.

I think what you're missing is the simplistic copy pasted mechanics, where you wait for breakbar and then throw a world object at them. Really adds a new layer of depth.

• Like 1