Returning looking for class: Guardian vs. Ele

Fckthwrld.6097

Hi! 

I recently came back to guild wars 2. I have experience in various MMOs. 

I am very unsure about my class choice. I don't like to play multiple classes, so I'm looking for an "allrounder". That means a class that is relevant for any type of content . I would like to be able to play either DD or support. That narrows down my choice to Revenant, Ele and Guardian. The aesthetics of the Revenant don't appeal to me at all, so I'm currently trying to decide between the Ele and the Guardian. I know the Guardian has been around for a long time in every meta, but I'm worried it might be too dull, so it gets boring quickly. I would really appreciate some thoughts on the topic!

Edited by Fckthwrld.6097

I play support firebrand in fractals and wvw zergs. Definitely not boring on its own, but if I didn't play other classes I would be bored. Guard has other viable builds though, which play quite differently; so there is enough variety in it if you play 1 profession only.

I don't know about ele, it seems an interesting profession. But my impression is that it overall underperforms compared to guard (from my POV that can be said for any profession though).

4 hours ago, Fckthwrld.6097 said:

Hi! 

I recently came back to guild wars 2. I have experience in various MMOs. 

I am very unsure about my class choice. I don't like to play multiple classes, so I'm looking for an "allrounder". That means a class that is relevant for any type of content . I would like to be able to play either DD or support. That narrows down my choice to Revenant, Ele and Guardian. The aesthetics of the Revenant don't appeal to me at all, so I'm currently trying to decide between the Ele and the Guardian. I know the Guardian has been around for a long time in every meta, but I'm worried it might be too dull, so it gets boring quickly. I would really appreciate some thoughts on the topic!

Renegade and Firebrand are the god specs.  They will apparently dominate the meta forever and ANet will never change that.  Nobody knows why.

• Like 1

Elementalist (well, Weaver and Tempest ... core Ele is completely outdated) makes your work significantly harder for "successes" than the Guardian (all three sub professions can still have a place ... Firebrand is in high demand everywhere). As a returning player, you will have an easier time as a Guard than to explain why you should be included in a raid, strike mission, fractal etc (the "end-game" PVE stuff) as an Ele. Sad but true.

Tempest is good support and Weaver is a fun damage dealer. You'll never get bored with Ele. So many skills and combos you can do. So if you're preferring flavor, then I would choose Ele. 

But as mentioned by others, guardian has been meta for years and the builds are easy to play/pick up. You wouldn't be disappointed cause you'll always have success with the Meta class. 

Kinda depends on whether you're playing for fun or you're try-harding and wanna win