Can someone explain condi scourge to me in small words?

myrek.9436

I've looked at dozens of condi scourge builds and I don't understand them. I want to try a condi build, I don't know what to do with it.

You use curses to curse yourself and then try to transfer them to others? Is that the gimmick?

Curses are in every build. Is there a way to do a condi build w/o it? I don't need help dying.  

12 minutes ago, myrek.9436 said:

Curses are in every build. Is there a way to do a condi build w/o it? I don't need help dying.  

Its possible, tho u will lose damage bc curses are the best dmg option, but i think you could also use sth instead of curses, but obv u ll have to change some traits and so on.

Some punishments are a good choice imo.

Edited by SeTect.5918
  • Like 1

I've never played any kind of necromancer in WvW or PvP so I'm answering purely from a PvE perspective.

Equip a sceptre, torch and condi armour. Place your shade (f1) on your enemy then cast f5 and all your weapon skills and utilities (except signets) off cooldown. Over time you should learn naturally what to prioritise and how to recognise opportunities for specific attacks like epidemic.

By "Curses", do you mean corruption utility skills? If so, there's really no need to worry. You have a condition cleanse on f2, a condition transfer on f5 and barrier on f3, f5, f1 (if you take desert empowerment trait) and your heal/utilities. If you're really concerned about your survivability then take parasitic contagion (grandmaster in the curses traitline) and runes of torment until you're more comfortable. You'll heal so much you'll be able to face tank an elder dragon so dealing with self-conditions will be trivial.

You should be virtually immortal with the following build:

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PSgAs+lNwAZhMNGJWMX5PTA-zRJYkRDfZkbC0RB49A-e

Here is an overwhelmingly simple rotation to start you off:

sand shade (f1) -> blood is power -> desert shroud (f5) -> weapon skills

• Like 5

10 hours ago, Demented Yak.6105 said:

I'm answering purely from a PvE perspective.

It will certainly be a little different, but that info was more than enough to get me headed in the right direction. I was able to be understand some of the other videos/articles on scourges. For as much documentation as there is, there is still a lot of info that's buried. I didn't know that any shade skill triggers the burst. I didn't know that you count as a minion. A lot to digest. Thanks for the help!

Spam buttons > win. Scourge gameplay in a nutshell.

Yes, Curses and BiP are essential in PVE. No, they won't kill you - in meta build you'll have a free condi transfer from hitting shroud, and condi cleanse on F2. Then you can put offdagger or staff in second weapon set for more transfers.

The biggest (and often undocumented) feature of Scourge is that EVERY activation of your F1-F5 abilities pulses with torment. Those pulses are considered "shroud autoattack", so they'll also apply vulnerability and burn from Soul Reaping. That's why F2 skill is actually used rotationally, being the cheapest LF. Also, F2-F5 skills are off global cooldown, so they can be used literally whenever, including from stuns, without interrupting anything.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Small words...

- Condi builds focus on condition damage.

- Curses (read corruptions) are the utilities that often offer the most condition damage output.

- Curse (the traitline) is the only line that offer 200 condition damage (stat) and boost significantly your main sources of conditions.

Not taking the traitline would hurt heavily your efficiency because Lingering curse is probably the strongest trait possible for condition damage builds. You can replace the corruptions by utilities that are more focused on survivability thought. It won't hurt your damages that much.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, misterman.1530 said:

But the builds you posted weren't hybrids. They were solidly Viper. Unless people simply call this Viper build a Plaguedoctor for reasons.

You could argue that viper is an hybrid stat set because it feature both power and condi, while plaguedoctor isn't, thought. 😉 Unless, now people call hybrid builds that offer both damage and support/survivability stats (I call this a bunker statset personally but, whatever).

And, yes, Infusion could probably check the builds he posted as neither use the plaguedoctor statset.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Dadnir.5038 said:

You could argue that viper is an hybrid stat set because it feature both power and condi, while plaguedoctor isn't, thought. 😉 Unless, now people call hybrid builds that offer both damage and support/survivability stats (I call this a bunker statset personally but, whatever).

And, yes, Infusion could probably check the builds he posted as neither use the plaguedoctor statset.

I didn't say the link was to plaguedoctor. I said that you can use tormenting rune or plaguedoctor gear (note that both variants with tormenting rune linked are for different purposes).

This is the link for plaguedoctor if you two want to nitpick
https://hardstuck.gg/gw2/builds/necromancer/plaguedoctor-scourge-r63/

Edited by Infusion.7149

9 hours ago, myrek.9436 said:

Thanks for all the feedback. It makes more sense. It still seems too clunky to be effective. It certainly isn't "just mash the keyboard" simple.

The main clunk is shade maintaining - you kinda want to always have 3 up. Everything else, including condition transfers, is so unessential you can just mash buttons on CD and still get competitive damage out. Normally you won't even have a second weapon set.

11 hours ago, myrek.9436 said:

Thanks for all the feedback. It makes more sense. It still seems too clunky to be effective. It certainly isn't "just mash the keyboard" simple.

It is. It's very simple, and forgiving.

It is mostly played by ppl who like to solo rush and see if they can survive it. Like the unkillable eles. But unlike them you actually do dmg. Worthless to play in a larger group though.

i play scourge but not long ago.

at the start, it's kinda "press all buttons". With some time you know when to use which shroud skill.

like when i know there is something to cleanse, i maybe hold f2 for a sec.

i hold f4 for CC Breakbar Damage.

and i try to time f5 with the corruption skills to transfer the self-conditions immediately. Stuff like that.

also i play with the Talent that gives 1 big shade instead of 3. Simpler for beginning and "get into it", once you feel safe, you can go with another talent there. Although it's not a bad Talent, especially for Open World afaik.

On 9/7/2021 at 6:46 PM, myrek.9436 said:

It will certainly be a little different, but that info was more than enough to get me headed in the right direction. I was able to be understand some of the other videos/articles on scourges. For as much documentation as there is, there is still a lot of info that's buried. I didn't know that any shade skill triggers the burst. I didn't know that you count as a minion. A lot to digest. Thanks for the help!

Also fun to know: minions count as pets. If you see runes that require a pet, a minion will work as well. like you said, any shade skill triggers F1. So if you trigger Nefarious Favour, you trigger F2 + F1.

On 9/6/2021 at 11:52 PM, myrek.9436 said:

I've looked at dozens of condi scourge builds and I don't understand them. I want to try a condi build, I don't know what to do with it.

You use curses to curse yourself and then try to transfer them to others? Is that the gimmick?

Curses are in every build. Is there a way to do a condi build w/o it? I don't need help dying.          i run this guys build tanky and strong solo bosses with it (5) GW2 Scourge Minion Master - YouTube

Edited by trunks.5249