Question for Roamers

Downstate.4697

I haven't roamed seriously since like 2015 and was wondering what the baseline stats are for roaming builds. For reference here is what I intend to play atm.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?POwAExflRweYdMImJW0W6P1BEB-zVRYBhzHMqRBnRmqgelCGeWqyMC-w

I am concerned that my lack of passive heals will also hurt my ability to recover and turn fights, although my mobility will help alot, I am looking at 30s windows if my hp is low before I can try to counter pressure. Is that a needless worry with the amount of mobility I have?

Stats dont matter, just bring all the condi cleanse you can get. You are just going to run into 5+ people all the time that will just breathe condis onto you for no reason. Im sure one time i saw someone looking at me from inside smc next to the lord when i was at spawn on my home bl and even that gave me like 50 stacks of all the condis there is.

• Haha 1

As long as you have stun breaks, stability, and condition cleanses built into your build; and some method of escaping a difficult situation, you should be fine roaming.

Your vitality is low, which means a high burst from condition damage will be your weakness if not cleansed; especially if your heal is very low. 

Someone with low healing will be at a disadvantage if their heal skill is interrupted. However, because of your dps, you can end fights quicker, or force the opponent to be defensive, thus less dps on you. According to your weapon set, the best method of escaping a tight situation is to have swiftness boon up while your opponent is crippled. You already have high DPS because of good power above 2000+, therefore do not burst in a 1v2+, but spread your dps out to leave a window of escape. Typically bursting can get one opponent down for a kill, but you become open to attack from another.

I like the reflect on your axe 5. You are using a non-bow build, which is eye catching. 

This is an extremely glassy build. Keep in mind that while going pure DPS gives you an advantage in 1v1. as soon as you get +1'd, its over, you have no chance to survive against multiple players. The one advantage here is not using a bow build means you won't instantly destroy yourself is you come up against a reflect.

Fwiw, I've found playing this way to not be worth it, "kill or be killed", it becomes unfun very quickly since the modern state of competitive is always meeting groups of players. Take my advice and have 2nd set of gear ready in your other equipment tab for when you get tired of eating dirt to parties.

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Avion Blade.4869 said:

As long as you have stun breaks, stability, and condition cleanses built into your build; and some method of escaping a difficult situation, you should be fine roaming.

Your vitality is low, which means a high burst from condition damage will be your weakness if not cleansed; especially if your heal is very low. 

Someone with low healing will be at a disadvantage if their heal skill is interrupted. However, because of your dps, you can end fights quicker, or force the opponent to be defensive, thus less dps on you. According to your weapon set, the best method of escaping a tight situation is to have swiftness boon up while your opponent is crippled. You already have high DPS because of good power above 2000+, therefore do not burst in a 1v2+, but spread your dps out to leave a window of escape. Typically bursting can get one opponent down for a kill, but you become open to attack from another.

I like the reflect on your axe 5. You are using a non-bow build, which is eye catching. 

Cool thanks for the help. Ive opted for this instead.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?POwAExflRweYdMImJW0W6P1BEB-zVJYiRN/ZkpKoXpghnlqMjA-w

Boon duration isnt too important to me.

1 minute ago, Hannelore.8153 said:

This is an extremely glassy build. Keep in mind that while going pure DPS gives you an advantage in 1v1. as soon as you get +1'd, its over, you have no chance to survive against multiple players. The one advantage here is not using a bow build means you won't instantly destroy yourself is you come up against a reflect.

Fwiw, I've found playing this way to not be worth it, "kill or be killed", it becomes unfun very quickly since the modern state of competitive is always meeting groups of players. Take my advice and have 2nd set of gear ready in your other equipment tab for when you get tired of eating dirt to parties.

The survival vs multiple ppl comes from its large amount of evades and smart use of quick draw, but I see what you mean. 

6 minutes ago, FrownyClown.8402 said:

The survival vs multiple ppl comes from its large amount of evades and smart use of quick draw, but I see what you mean. 

The issue here is in the last few years there's been very generous access to stealth across the board now. Evasion tanking works when you can engage the enemy but if you're suprised out of stealth the first attack will be a CC (often including Weakness) and you basically get one stunbreak to save yourself for a nearly instant death.

Party engagements almost always have someone coming out of stealth, especially if fighting a duo. Its become one of the most popular tactics in roaming to 2v1/+1 from stealth.

Unlike passive defenses, active defenses only work when you're able to react.

Edited by Hannelore.8153

2 minutes ago, Hannelore.8153 said:

The issue here is in the last few years there's been very generous access to stealth across the board now. Evasion tanking works when you can engage the enemy but if you're suprised out of stealth the first attack will be a CC (often including Weakness) and you basically get one stunbreak to save yourself for a nearly instant death.

Party engagements almost always have someone coming out of stealth, especially if fighting a duo. Its become one of the most popular tactics in roaming to 2v1/+1 from stealth.

Unlike passive defenses, active defenses only work when you're able to react.

So you are saying build more toughness? 

Everything has counters, there is no one size fits all.

2.5k armor is the ideal range for armor if you want to be able to trade a few hits. 18 - 21k health is the best amount to pair with that amount of armor.

Anything below 2.5k armor and 17k health is getting very glassy. Although your build has high mobility, you're still a melee build meaning you're going to need to get up close and personal. This isn't going to do much in outnumbered fights other than running. 1v1/2's you're going to have a very hard time against; Longbow Soulbeast, Spellbreaker, Reaper, Deadeye, S/D Daredevil, etc. Anything that has high melee or ranged pressure, because your melee pressure will be lower than theirs.

The second build you shared is better. Although it has base armor, having higher health is still a good defense if you have as much mobility as you do, so you can afford to let go of armor.
Personal rule of thumb is that I won't go below 2.5k armor on a roaming build unless I have more than 18k health, with very few exceptions.

Regardless of what you use, anything can work once you're familiar. Roaming is flexible if you have the patience for it, but first and foremost you need to consider two things; "Can I kill anyone with this while outnumbered", and "How many hits can I afford to take when I get +1'd". Because both of those things are guaranteed to happen.
You're always going to have outnumbered fights - if all you can do is run away from them, people are going to start chasing you until you can't run anymore. Ever notice how the really high mobility players get chased the hardest? It's because people get sick of the mosquito that doesn't threaten them.
And no matter how vigilant you are, you can never be prepared for every +1 - if you can't recover from being spiked at a bad time, you're going to be food for Thieves and other Rangers, among other things.

Edited by Shroud.2307
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, FrownyClown.8402 said:

I haven't roamed seriously since like 2015 and was wondering what the baseline stats are for roaming builds. For reference here is what I intend to play atm.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?POwAExflRweYdMImJW0W6P1BEB-zVRYBhzHMqRBnRmqgelCGeWqyMC-w

Hello,

people made already good suggestions about your "build".

I used your template, and made a few adjustments to the accessories + added power infusions. Other than that, the build looks basically playable when you look at it as a whole. If you play it well, ... you should be able to handle "conditions" as well.

With the changes, you now get ~18.8k health, when merged with the "pet", you get ~21.5k. That should work. You also have an armor of ~2.5k now. 

See (make further adjustments if necessary, according to your wishes): http://gw2skills.net/editor/?POwAExflRweYdMImJW0W6P1BEB-zVpYBhZFEIYUDiB5ZEUwZkpqqXpqhPABsHeLVZGB-w

Edited by Metzie.3012
  • Like 1