What comes after the End of Dragons?

Marikus.1875

With a lot of the world untouched and the dragons being put down the setting is ripe for an age of expansion and exploration, and the Mortal conflicts that arise from that sort of thing. 

What do the Dragon displaced races do now? Who's living in their old homes now? Who even wants to go back? With the sea dragon being in the next expansion what are the krait getting up to? And what becomes of the Pact without dragons?  

And not just krait, what kind of empires might be across the chokepoints the dragons held captive for so long? 

Lots of places it could go.

1 hour ago, Angel Hunter D.5037 said:

With a lot of the world untouched and the dragons being put down the setting is ripe for an age of expansion and exploration, and the Mortal conflicts that arise from that sort of thing. 

Or a lot of infighting since the common enemies are gone, bringing Tyria to the brink of a world war...and a sinister enemy that is orchestrating all that from the shadows as our hero's find out just before it's too late.

26 minutes ago, Dean Calaway.9718 said:

Rumours said HoT was gonna be the only expansion.

Then rumours said PoF was the last expansion.

Rumours double down with the Icebrood Saga that PoF really was the last expansion.

Rumor now says EoD is definitely the last expansion, I mean the name alone am I right?

Rumor also is, after some more living story following EoD the next expansion after that is definitely gonna be the last.

Now, if I have to be serious for a moment, this whole other planet reminds me of Elite Dangerous players asking for a new galaxy to explore, even if the one they have right now has been there for 7 years and is only 0,01% explored, and a new one would be mechanically and visually the same on a star system level, ergo, pointless, as it would be having another playable planet in Guild Wars.

There's whole continents in Tyria yet to be explored by GW1 or GW2 players, Anet knows that ence why this next expansion to the last bit of land known to the players (Cantha) was called the End of Dragons, what comes after it can be a blank slate, EoD might just be dealing with the fallout, the whole jade technology to me sounds and looks like an on the nose allegory for oil and alternative sustainable energy/magic, the living story after that might focus on the pursuit of magic if Tyria starts getting depleted of it, and the expansion after that could see us go to new contents looking for that. Let's just hope if they do that they don't make it overly preachy...

Well not all of that were rumors. Anet actually said after PoF released that they didn't want to do anymore expansions and that they were going the way of "saga's". That's cause they had a small team working on GW2 and other teams working on other projects. Then NcSoft came by, told Anet to cut 30% of their staff and refocus on GW2 and told them to make another expansion.

As far as I can remember Anet never really wanted to make expansions at all and go the way of LW stories to add new things. However, I think that if you make an MMO, people expect expansions. Just small bits from time to time just doesn't cut it. They also didn't want gear progression or raids. At least they only made ascended gear and legendary armor/trinkets.

Most of the game is casual oriented still, but I think that with an MMO there will always be certain things that you'll have to do and expansions are one of these. It sort of comes with the genre.

• Confused 1

After end of dragons, here is what is going to happen: 

stuff happens within the mist, the story gets reset back to season 1 and now the devs will have the opportunity to justify the costs of bringing back the content of season 1.  That way, they can feature an alternate ending in which Scarlet failed to hit that ley-line and then provide another story.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

With the threat of the dragons gone, the races return to suspicion and xenophobia. Turns out we needed the external threat to put aside our differences.

Lore justification so ANet can give the open-world duelists what they want.

Edited by Gibson.4036
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, flog.3485 said:

stuff happens within the mist, the story gets reset back to season 1 and now the devs will have the opportunity to justify the costs of bringing back the content of season 1.  That way, they can feature an alternate ending in which Scarlet failed to hit that ley-line and then provide another story.

Would not be the worst they can come up with 😋

• Confused 1

On 9/18/2021 at 6:55 AM, flog.3485 said:

Anything but Scarlet. That was the worst part of this game.

• Confused 1

First of all Tyria explained.

Tyria is translated as earth or ground. It comes from the word Terra. It is not only the planet, but also the continent where Kryta, ascalon and Orr are part off .

Second. This is part of the stories about je human pantheon. The Six human gods are powerfully entities, but not omnipotent as Gods normally are. As their base power can be transfered and reused and as the Gods can be defeated, they are not as much Gods as we can expect.

Third. They arrived to the continent of Tyria in 205 BE. 500 years prior to that they settled in Cantha.

It is possible that humans arrived from a place south of Cantha. (According to Jeff Grubb).

To combine these things. No it is unlikely they arrived from another world. Their origin story is still not told. We do know they came from the south of Cantha.

GW2 is not ending with eod. The story will continue.

8 hours ago, Zera Allimatti.2541 said:

To me, Scarlet's takes a firm third seat in that category, shortly behind number 2 (Season 3).

"Winning" by a wide margin to the numbers 2 and 3 is Season 5, the Icebrood Saga.

Edited by Fueki.4753

On 9/15/2021 at 1:03 AM, Klowdy.3126 said:

Did they hire the WoW story team recently?

Time travel (but not really) expansion confirmed then...step through an asura gate that suddenly changed colour and relive all of LS1's moments in a different timeline!  Familiarise yourself with all the major characters ahead of the much-hyped GW2 movie coming in the following year! (or maybe, if we don't delay it anyway and sacrifice the whole point of dropping the original expansion in favour of rushing out this one)

(hopefully they won't go this way though, as that was the reason I quit WoW)

Edited by Nazarick.9653
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, JekthAvid.1408 said:

I get why this will probably never happen, but I'd like more story choices that call back to the ones you had before (green knight, circus performer, shaman father, blacked out, infinity ball, etc)

Things like "my greatest regret" and "a vivid image in the dream" don't just disappear when zombies

If they were to go that route, I'd particularly want them to do something with the unused/underused biography choice each race has (human god, sylvari cycle, charr sparring partner, etc.).

1 hour ago, radda.8920 said:

if it's to slaughter them like they did with balthazar, no thanks

More like Dwayna has some kitten kicking to do, and the Commander is on her list of people to curb stomp.

Meanwhile the Commander would probably take it as just punishment and beg her to punish them more. (Yeah, I went there, no I'm not sorry).

On 9/19/2021 at 11:19 PM, Zera Allimatti.2541 said:

Well Scarlet will need to come back if they ever want to bring back season 1 and make it available to everyone to replay it. However the good news is that they don’t need to copy pasta everything that happened: they can just reimplement the good parts, ignore the weakest story bits and rewrite the overall story as long as the “crew” is properly introduced.

• Like 1

On 9/9/2021 at 3:46 PM, Harak.8397 said:

As far as I am concerned, the map is gigantic: there is no need to re-thread  things and places from GW. As long as it's not outer space, the mysts or time travel, I'll be okay with anything. Let GW2 carve its own path going forward.

It's a good thing Anet never made Guild Wars Utopia then and instead came out with GW2.

I wonder if they will tentatively get us more into the mists, not necessarily fractals. When you think about it, quite a lot of the late storyline has involved the Mists, one way or the other. Perhaps we're due for an interplanar visit of some sort ?

More realistically, I'd say we're not getting the Entirety of Cantha with the expansion, so there is probably a good shot of us getting an expanded Cantha area

4 hours ago, Naxos.2503 said:

I wonder if they will tentatively get us more into the mists, not necessarily fractals. When you think about it, quite a lot of the late storyline has involved the Mists, one way or the other. Perhaps we're due for an interplanar visit of some sort ?

More realistically, I'd say we're not getting the Entirety of Cantha with the expansion, so there is probably a good shot of us getting an expanded Cantha area

I certainly hope Arenanet won't get any more "cosmic" than they already have.

Even Blizzard failed trying that. There's a snowball's chance in hell that Arenanet succeeds with that.

Staying grounded and explore previously unknown landscapes would be better.

Edited by Fueki.4753
  • Like 2

Just now, Fueki.4753 said:

I certainly hope Arenanet won't get any more "cosmic" than they already have.

Even Blizzard failed trying that. There's a snowball's chance in hell that they succeed.

Staying grounded and explore previously unknown landscapes would be better.

I think the advantage we have is that technically, after Cantha, everywhere else is unknown territory no ? Are there places in Tyria we haven't been but know about ? (excepted the Dominion of Winds). I've never actually played guild wars 1, though I've read about it whenever possible, but it seems we have essentially been everywhere guild wars 1 was laid out. There arent that many hints as to where we could go after that even, that would be quite interesting, they might be able to Add to Tyria, after such a long time in known territory. We can see landmasses around the known maps, but the information on what Could be there is rather scarce.