Gems to gold conversion rate

Dithnir.4593

Been back in the game about a year, and just seen the general 100 gold conversion go to over 500 gems.

It used to be a lot lower. It's a strange thing, how it works, because I'm increasingly reluctant to buy gems to convert to gold unless there's utility items sales that drive it down a bit, so over time, I'm less and less inclined to give Arenanet money 🙂

Do they reset it at all or does my money (buying gems) just get me less and less value in game?

From the wiki:

Exchange rates are determined by supply and demand from players. Since supply and demand affects the rate, the ratio can shift rapidly depending on market conditions, especially when the Gem Store adds new items.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Currency_exchange

Basically, as Gold is converted to gems or Gems converted to Gold the exchange rate fluctuates  at this point it has been relatively stable for the past year or so  

if you check out the currency exchange history on a site like gw2spidy you can see the fluctuations over time. 

Edited by Mungo Zen.9364
  • Like 5

It's a balance between people buying gems with gold and people buying gold with gems. (supply/demand) 

Since eod ultimate preorder gives access to 4000 gems and there is nothing really useful to buy on the cash shop, some people probably exchange gems to gold and gems value drops massively. 

Many people who usually buy gems with gold don't have to do it because of the eod gems, and there is no discount on features like character slot, shared inventory slot or Black lion keys (which are the ones with the more consequences on the demand), no need for them to buy gems with gold basically. 

Edited by The Fear.3865
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, The Fear.3865 said:

It's a balance between people buying gems with gold and people buying gold with gems. (supply/demand) 

Since eod ultimate preorder gives access to 4000 gems and there is nothing really useful to buy on the cash shop, some people probably exchange gems to gold and gems value drops massively. 

Many people who usually buy gems with gold don't have to do it because of the eod gems, and there is no discount on features like character slot, shared inventory slot or Black lion keys (which are the ones with the more consequences on the demand), no need for them to buy gems with gold basically. 

Black Lion Chest Keys were offered at the end of August at a discount. 

Thank you all. I think my point is that it's consistently rising because there's less and less reason to buy gems with gold? Either way, even with the recent utility item sales that drove it down to around 413 or so, I don't think it went under 400, but it has gone a lot lower than that during previous 'useful' sales periods. Anyway, while it does work as a self balancing system, it does seem to depend on there being enough reason to buy gems with gold. While there isn't and the price rises on average, players will be disinclined to spend as frequently with money with Arenanet.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

19 minutes ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

Out of the 25 times they have been offered at discount, 13 times have been for only one day.   Three of those times being 'Anniversary/August Sales' and 9 of those times being 'March Sales'.  Your point? 

One day of Black lion key discount is not enough to prevent the drop value of gems, which was the question asked by OP. 

I still dont get what brings yours to the topic. 

• Confused 2

4 minutes ago, Dithnir.4593 said:

Thank you all. I think my point is that it's consistently rising because there's less and less reason to buy gems with gold? 

Exactly, if i can give you an advise : don't exchange your gems to golds for now, gems will rise again soon, when eod ultimate buyers will use all their 4k gems and anet start to propose features attractive to rich players in game.

And if you can buy gems with gold, do it (103g for 400 gems yesterday, last time we saw that was years ago) 

15 minutes ago, The Fear.3865 said:

Exactly, if i can give you an advise : don't exchange your gems to golds for now, gems will rise again soon, when eod ultimate buyers will use all their 4k gems and anet start to propose features attractive to rich players in game.

And if you can buy gems with gold, do it (103g for 400 gems yesterday, last time we saw that was years ago) 

Sadly it's gold I need. I don't play often enough to want to spend the time I do have farming minmax for gold, so I rely on my salary to bump that from time to time 🙂

8 hours ago, Dithnir.4593 said:

Sadly it's gold I need. I don't play often enough to want to spend the time I do have farming minmax for gold, so I rely on my salary to bump that from time to time 🙂

Oh well in that case it seem alot of people have turned their 4k gems into gold since usualy its the other way around.

They want the gems to buy stuff from gemstore but the sale disapointed ppl and it turned the otherway around.

47 minutes ago, Linken.6345 said:

Oh well in that case it seem alot of people have turned their 4k gems into gold since usualy its the other way around.

They want the gems to buy stuff from gemstore but the sale disapointed ppl and it turned the otherway around.

Yep, fewer utility items went on sale this time around...none of the infinite salvage tools were in the sale this year, for example, nor any of the Expedition/Hunter Contracts or any of the various Passes, which is odd since they didn't have a Pass bundled with the EoD packages.