WvW Alliance update - Concerns of a "Solo" player

Dapper Shark.4958

So updates all very exciting stuff but I'm a guy that roams solo, all the friends I want to play with are on different worlds. This update sounds like if your not in a guild or an alliance with your friends guild then you cant play together if not how will the system approach these solo/shifting player groups?

Also I might have missed a point in a previous update but is there a limit to how many alliances can be made i.e. can you only have 5 alliances, or, is it an infinite amount up to the 500 player cap for that match?

• Confused 2

Uh but you just said you roam solo and the friends you want to play with are on different worlds. What's the concern there? With the new system you can still be solo with the friends you want to play on different worlds, lol. It'll just make it easier to actually get everyone on the same world.

There's no such thing as infinite, but the point is to have dozens or hundreds of alliances but spread out across all worlds, of course. You're not going to stack a million alliances with 500 players each on one world, no. The cap is for the alliance, nothing to do with the match.

Edited by Dawdler.8521
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Dawdler.8521 said:

Uh but you just said you roam solo and the friends you want to play with are on different worlds. What's the concern there? With the new system you can still be solo with the friends you want to play on different worlds, lol. It'll just make it easier to actually get everyone on the same world..

What I mean is that I currently roam solo because I can not always play with friends either because their world is full or I'm not able to fork cash for gems to switch worlds. The concern is with the new system is as I stated will I have to be in a guild or an alliance with my friends guilds to play with them.

That said it is defiantly an improvement over money to play with friends.

1 minute ago, Sviel.7493 said:

Is being in a guild or alliance with your friends an issue?

Only if I or others where to fall into one of two category's;
1. They don't have the permissions within the guild to form alliances.
2. They don't have a slot for a personal guild to form an alliance with.

Thankfully I have a personal guild but its still a "potential" problem.

It'll be interesting to see how it affects someone like me, who is mostly a WvW 'tourist' of sorts. I'll do some dailies there. If I get jumped and I'm alone, I'll /sleep. If there's at least one other person around, I do my best not to let them down, but I'm sure I'm potato.

Will WvW become such a different thing that a tourist doesn't find much of a way to take over some camps and kill some guards for dailies? I suppose if I do lose out, it's not the worst thing. If I'm the casualty of better overall WvW, that's how it should be. Just...be a little personally sad for me. Make me go do bounties in some far off corner of the world to get my dailies done. Or events in Orr. 😣

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

16 minutes ago, notebene.3190 said:

It'll be interesting to see how it affects someone like me, who is mostly a WvW 'tourist' of sorts. I'll do some dailies there. If I get jumped and I'm alone, I'll /sleep. If there's at least one other person around, I do my best not to let them down, but I'm sure I'm potato.

Will WvW become such a different thing that a tourist doesn't find much of a way to take over some camps and kill some guards for dailies? I suppose if I do lose out, it's not the worst thing. If I'm the casualty of better overall WvW, that's how it should be. Just...be a little personally sad for me. Make me go do bounties in some far off corner of the world to get my dailies done. Or events in Orr. 😣

The way the dev casually explained it on a streamers vod was solo's will be the ones picking where they go.

AFAIK with the guild stuff the only thing people decide is which "WvW Guild" they will be in.  Then the rest of it with the alliances and such kinda TBD.  He talks about playtime, skill/KDR and the like being considered for matchmaking maybe at some point.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, notebene.3190 said:

That shouldn't become an issue for you. I think most other players who are similar to you and have concerns expect something else. Those are players who do/act similar to you but unlike you also feel entitled to be on specific ~good servers and/or latch onto specific ~good guilds at the expense of others. You seem far more level headed about it tbh, so I am sure it will be fine 🙂 .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1