What's Wrong With GW2 PvP

CalmTheStorm.2364

4 minutes ago, greedywholesome.9081 said:

I want them, Anet, to make money in hopes some get re-invested in PvP. I've stopped playing for now but it if they recognize how amazing the mechanics are and how there are a lot of new pvpers in the scene, I hope it's enough for them to give the mode more attention. 

I totally agree.  I think our best sign for hope is that they seem committed to investing in WvW.  Right now, they have acknowledged that they are focusing on tech updates and making alliances a reality, but they did say that, in the future, they plan to be dedicating more resources to class balance, etc.  I'll believe that when I see it, but if that happens, PvP will benefit as well since they have been balancing competitive modes together.  I would definitely love to hear them express some level of commitment to PvP specifically, but at least we have a little reason to hope.

7 minutes ago, greedywholesome.9081 said:

In-game when I played, I always answer pvp questions from beginners on mapchat. I never call anyone noobs or anything belligerent that would pull the mode down.  

Thank you!  I wish there were many more people like you in the PvP community.  We could use some more positivity and friendliness there, for sure.

6 minutes ago, greedywholesome.9081 said:

Im honestly looking forward to fishing. Already saving my gems for the titanium fishing rod upgrade and OP bait to catch the zoo mancers you speak of. Wait, can they breathe underwater? NVM, they're undead. Probably not worth putting on the grill/barbie. 

yeah, I wouldn't be optimistic about the taste.  Or the smell.

• Like 1

On 9/12/2021 at 9:40 AM, greedywholesome.9081 said:

🙂 Priorities indeed.

Aside from the sale of the expansion, the new fishing activity will open up another source of income at the gemstore. Im predicting stuff like boat skins, fishing rod skins, special bait, upgrade to a bigger boat, special bags and the like. 

I read a few months back that GW2 generated 61B SK Won (approximately $52M USD) in 2020. Since NCSoft is a public company, feel free to look this up. The pandemic and lockdowns may have boosted their revenue by a little bit but not exponentially. I searched online about their recent employee estimate count and according to ANET's LinkedIn page, they have 259 employees. 

In business, you generally add between 30-40% above the employee's salary, thru benefits, if you want to be competitive and attract the right people.  With inflation and all, let's say the average employee makes $120K/year benefits included (in Silicon Valley FB, Goog, Salesforce employees avg $230K/yr)

In labor costs alone, they are already at $31M. This doesn't include marketing, the affiliate payouts they give partners, massive server costs and maintenance, rent, other overhead costs, allowances for the ones working from home etc. That number is a mystery so Im guestimating at $10-12M. That leaves them with a gross margin profit of around $10M/year or $830K/mo. 

I dont think they are losing money but the margins are a bit low for a game this size. Some Mobile gaming companies with 20 employees easily out earns GW2. 

A little investment in PvP would be great but it's hard to find a way to capitalize from the small player base. 

Perhaps this is why EoD looks/feels sort of slapped together and rushed. If they can save money on the front-end then they can potentially improve the situation you outlined.

• Like 1