Guardian or Revenant?

Atreyix.9124

Condi rev/renegade, with runes of tormenting is pretty much unkillable in PvE. I like guardian, but they have a naturally low health pool, and lots of defense in the active category, meaning you need to pay attention more. If you aren't actively blocking, you're actively ignoring the parts of your class designed to keep you alive. Rev's defenses are stacked differently, since there isn't a lot of blocking involved. 

Guardian is really fun if you like being more hands on with survival in combat. I love DH (but haven't played FB in a really long time). The theme of LB/GS in heavy armor is very cool to me. It was my first character, and I now have 3 (for RP reasons, lol).

One thing I will day is guardian always seems to find it's way into the meta.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

On 9/12/2021 at 9:28 PM, Atreyix.9124 said:

Coming back after a few years... Debating which class would be better for solo PvE and WvW?

For PvE both perform extremely well, albeit Guardian has a lower HP you have to deal with (either playing like a master, spending some atribute points there or both).

In WvW solo the Guardian lacks the mobility of the Rev and your optimal builds will bounce between core burn Guardians, power meditrappers/stealth trappers  and celestial Firebrands (the only viable stat for that spec, due the recent buff ). Revenant can go either power Herald (the best for duels but risky in small teamfights), condi Herald (just the other way), condi Renebow (amongst the best ranged roamers in the game) and core hammer Rev (less competitive due hammer nerfs but fun to play). Revs have the advantage in mobilityand sustain, imo.

I mained Guardian and now Rev; still enjoy both but despite his bugs I think that Rev has more viable builds and has better tools to deal with other classes trying to poke you at range.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 9/12/2021 at 9:40 PM, sorudo.9054 said:

guardian makes you an undying tank as long as you don't think that way, revs are more difficult to master.

Ironically I'd say it's the other way around. 

Battle Scars made Revenant the uncontested king of solo PvE, arguably being the most "immortal" spec available while pushing some of the, if not the highest solo damage numbers. 

Meanwhile Guardian requires a lot more active play and creative build choices to avoid damage and getting resustain, while still falling quite behind Rev in both solo DPS as well as sustain.

@OP if it's purely about what's objectively better for playing solo then there's no contest, it's Rev - Renegade specifically. 

Guardian on the other hand can scale up obscenely with other players around and the support it can provide, especially with Firebrand.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

On 9/15/2021 at 3:22 AM, Asum.4960 said:

Ironically I'd say it's the other way around. 

Battle Scars made Revenant the uncontested king of solo PvE, arguably being the most "immortal" spec available while pushing some of the, if not the highest solo damage numbers. 

Meanwhile Guardian requires a lot more active play and creative build choices to avoid damage and getting resustain, while still falling quite behind Rev in both solo DPS as well as sustain.

i die at least 80% faster as a rev than as a guardian, a rev is forced to stay ahead of the game while a guardian can be played by even the newest of players.

maybe if you were talking about meta gameplay i might say maybe but to try a profession out a guardian is a save bet overall.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, sorudo.9054 said:

i die at least 80% faster as a rev than as a guardian, a rev is forced to stay ahead of the game while a guardian can be played by even the newest of players.

maybe if you were talking about meta gameplay i might say maybe but to try a profession out a guardian is a save bet overall.

Via abusing Battlescars (primarily Dance of Death), Icerazor's Ire and Darkrazor's Daring + Ashen Demeanor, Renegade is able of reaching >3k Healing per second, on top of Perma Protection from All for One, and if Utilising a Celestial Hybrid build, can utilise Tormenting Runes very well on top of that. That's in addition to two healing skills, especially Breakrazor's Bastion (and an additional build in 50% condition damage reduction from that). 

You can literally stand still rotating through the same 3-4 skills, doing 20k solo self buffed DPS while healing 4k/second, eating all damage.

Nothing on Guardian (or any other profession for that matter) even remotely competes with that, even while having to give up much, much more damage to get a fraction of that sustain.

Edited by Asum.4960
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Asum.4960 said:

Nothing on Guardian (or any other profession for that matter) even remotely competes with that, even while having to give up much, much more damage to get a fraction of that sustain.

Scourge say hello. 
Also, for open-world sustain - Mesmer, as example. Clones can tank for you for ages (with few exceptions) 

Also - you need specific gear/build etc. to make renegade as powerful as you said. 

Guardian, on other side of coin, much more user-friendly and in my experience - much more comfortable in “every-day life”. And MUCH more user-friendly in PvP. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Loules.8601 said:

Scourge say hello. 
Also, for open-world sustain - Mesmer, as example. Clones can tank for you for ages (with few exceptions) 

Also - you need specific gear/build etc. to make renegade as powerful as you said. 

Guardian, on other side of coin, much more user-friendly and in my experience - much more comfortable in “every-day life”. And MUCH more user-friendly in PvP. 

Scourge comes fairly close, it's still behind in personal DPS as well as sustain though. But yes, what Renegade provides is way overkill and plenty other OW options exist that already trivialize the majority of content. 

As for "needing" a specific build, for one, not really - anything with Battlescars, from Power to Condi to Hybrid with Berserker, Diviner, Viper, Trailblazer, Marauder or Celestial works for Renegade, some just even better - secondly, everything depends in performance on how you build it.