Please make a better download system

28 minutes ago, Naneel.2348 said:

I had the same problem after installing  anew. Started with 30mbit/s and on 34% just died. Support couldn't/wouldn't help me. VPN then managed to fix it. That's no problem of internet connection, as literally everything else worked.

If VPN fixed the problem, then it was tied to internet connection, and not to the download system itself.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

If VPN fixed the problem, then it was tied to internet connection, and not to the download system itself.

Can you explain to me why? When the download stopped, I tried to download another game to see if my internet connection is the problem and it went just fine and full speed, while GW2 wouldn't get past this point for several hours...

Thanks.  I thought that perhaps your country of origin might have something to do with your connection to Anet's AWS servers but I'd imagine that not to be the case in Germany.  Hmm....  Perhaps your ISP is throttling traffic to AWS?  You might call their tech support.  They can monitor your connection and see what's happening.

10 minutes ago, Naneel.2348 said:

Can you explain to me why? When the download stopped, I tried to download another game to see if my internet connection is the problem and it went just fine and full speed, while GW2 wouldn't get past this point for several hours...

Getting stuck while downloading is most commonly caused by a problem with the patch server you're connecting to. The servers don't verify their own files and can host corrupted copies, which causes GW2 to either infinitely retry to download a file it'll never fully receive, or abort entirely.

56 minutes ago, Naneel.2348 said:

That's a bit like asking why you are in a traffic jam driving to Frankfurt when your friend had a trouble free journey to Mainz. Different roads and all that.
The internet is not one homogenous network but a collection of disparate ones. If your route to a particular service happens to traverse a segment that's having issues, then trying to access a different service doesn't prove much. Using a VPN or a different DNS server can changing your routing so that you circumvent the blockage. If the backend service (Anet's AWS servers are in Frankfurt I believe) was having issues, using a VPN wouldn't improve matters.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Naneel.2348 said:

The analogy with traffic jam used above is very good: it seems that there's an "internet traffic jam" somewhere on the way between you and Anet's servers. VPN allows the files to travel via a different route, thus circumventing the traffic. If the problem was on Anet's side however, there would be no way to avoid it and VPN would not help.

And the reason why there's no problem with another game is because those data packets use a completely different "road", to a different location, and thus also avoid that "traffic jam".

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, costepj.5120 said:

That's a bit like asking why you are in a traffic jam driving to Frankfurt when your friend had a trouble free journey to Mainz. Different roads and all that.
The internet is not one homogenous network but a collection of disparate ones. If your route to a particular service happens to traverse a segment that's having issues, then trying to access a different service doesn't prove much. Using a VPN or a different DNS server can changing your routing so that you circumvent the blockage. If the backend service (Anet's AWS servers are in Frankfurt I believe) was having issues, using a VPN wouldn't improve matters.

Thanks for the answer. I didn't think that way, but if the road is the problem then it isn't my connection the internet either, or am I wrong?

40 minutes ago, Naneel.2348 said:

Thanks for the answer. I didn't think that way, but if the road is the problem then it isn't my connection the internet either, or am I wrong?

To continue the previous analogy, your connection to the internet would be your drive or maybe your local street. If that is blocked, then you will have trouble getting anywhere. Your ISP is where you join your local autobahn. They provide a number of options to route you to different destinations. So if one road is backed up, they can help you get past the block. But at some point they just pass you on to someone's else autobahn and they may not realise that there is a blockage on that route.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1