The Forum's "confused" reaction [Merged]

misterman.1530

11 minutes ago, kharmin.7683 said:

Gee, thanks. I'm sure everyone appreciates this. I guess we all can stop commenting. And that's not even the same thing. That's some paranoid dude thinking people are logging into alts to troll him with the confused emoji

Edited by Jilora.9524
added something
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 12

3 minutes ago, Jilora.9524 said:

Gee, thanks. I'm sure everyone appreciates this. I guess we all can stop commenting. And that's not even the same thing. That's some paranoid dude thinking people are logging into alts to troll him with the confused emoji

I didn't say that it was the same thing.  However, the topic of the confused emoji was discussed there, so perhaps some others might like to pop on over there and see what others have said about it.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 10

I think you should simply be able to see who gave the Emoji by mousing over it.  But I guess this would be too scary for some people.   

I think we would quickly dig up a few trolls who are responsible for most of the Confused emotes, for instance the person who is going to give me a confused emote for this post. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 17

7 minutes ago, kharmin.7683 said:

I didn't say that it was the same thing.  However, the topic of the confused emoji was discussed there, so perhaps some others might like to pop on over there and see what others have said about it.

I really wish that was your intent but I already know you set the wheels in motion to get this thread merged with that one instead of just letting us talk about because God forbid 2 similar threads are active on these forums at the same time.

Edited by Jilora.9524
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 10
  • Sad 2

12 minutes ago, Jilora.9524 said:

I really wish that was your intent but I already know you set the wheels in motion to get this thread merged with that one instead of just letting us talk about because God forbid 2 similar threads are active on these forums at the same time.

Then you assume incorrectly.  I have made no such suggestion, report or request.\

EDIT: You also assume that I have some authority to get things merged or that I am the only one on the entire forum that would possibly do so.  This is also an incorrect assumption.

Edited by kharmin.7683
Clarity
  • Like 4
  • Confused 14

1 hour ago, mindcircus.1506 said:

The irony is the childish and passive-aggressive way the confused emoji is being used shows that a clear Thumbs Down would be far less mean spirited.

I agree with that, but I still do not like the like /dislike system. It causes a copycat scenario in many people, let a post stand on its own merit. If you disagree with something someone said then open a dialog as to why, or ignore the post. Dont take a passive aggressive route that allows you to be mean without repercussions. Game companies that put this type of system in actually make their forums more aggressive than if they would have left it out, and just allowed people to report bad behavior. This kind of what is known as the facebook system seems innocuous at first, then it becomes malignant the more its used. Open dialog is always better than passive aggressive upvote/downvote/ridiculing and trolling.   

• Like 7
  • Confused 5

I've been using it as a raised eyebrow/squint/"come again"/"wait what?" mostly because, well, the confused emoji displays the lovely disbelieving oO that's also used in text-based emojis. I feel like calling it "confused" actually does not fit its display on the forums, because actual confusion in emojis usually gets displayed less... disbelieving.

• Confused 5

7 minutes ago, Forum Moderator.5021 said:

Hello Everyone,

Just a reminder to keep it civil and avoid attacking each other.

Regards.

The only thing uncivil as you can see is people using the emote to troll comments that are not confusing but plainly stated. This is why the facebook type systems lead to more discord than they lead to camaraderie. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 10
  • Sad 2

1 minute ago, Zuldari.3940 said:

The only thing uncivil as you can see is people using the emote to troll comments that are not confusing but plainly stated. This is why the facebook type systems lead to more discord than they lead to camaraderie. 

31 of 33 posts have confused emoji. You took it personally and edited your post which will result in more. I got a whole bunch. They just emoji's. Sure I wish the confused was deleted cause it is being used improperly but can't take it personally when 95 percent of comments get them

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Jilora.9524 said:

31 of 33 posts have confused emoji. You took it personally and edited your post which will result in more. I got a whole bunch. They just emoji's. Sure I wish the confused was deleted cause it is being used improperly but can't take it personally when 95 percent of comments get them

Im not taking it personally, just stating a fact. Its used for trolling and mean spiritedness, whether or not the person its being used against cares or not.  

• Like 2
  • Confused 7

2 minutes ago, Zuldari.3940 said:

Im not taking it personally, just stating a fact. Its used for trolling and mean spiritedness, whether or not the person its being used against cares or not.  

Some do yes. Some are confused. Some use it as a dislike/disagree. Unfortunately we can't disable just the reaction notice w/o the someone replied notice

• Confused 4

The reactions are best ignored. A ways to have a bit of fun maybe.

As for trying to interpret any meaning out of them they are about as useful as reading entrails to predict the future.

3 hours ago, Witch of Doom.5739 said:

Straight answer, IMO most seem to use the confused reaction because there is no "Dislike."  Which is another thing that's confusing.  If you can have a "Like" you can have a "Dislike."  Guess too many people got their widdle feelings hurt??

I think that was first removed in the previous version of the forum when one of the ANet posts got a lot of thumbs down ....

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 4

This reaction system is freaking stupid in the first place. People will use Confused and Sad as makeshift downvotes and then sometimes not reply at all, never contributing anything to the conversation except some lame passive-aggressive non-explanatory emoji.

If I had it my way, I'd strip the entire Reaction system out. People can post something if they have something to add.

Edited by Arnox.5128
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 6

Basically, trolls or people who disagree with you use it to make it seem like you just said something stupid. 

It makes the forums toxic imo, because people can do it even without contributing to the discussion. For a game that handles toxicity in-game very well, it's weird that they added negativity-enabling reactions.

Should just be "Like" and "Thanks" imo. Even "Haha" can get toxic.

Edited by HowlKamui.5120
  • Like 2
  • Confused 9

3 hours ago, Tyncale.1629 said:

I think you should simply be able to see who gave the Emoji by mousing over it.  But I guess this would be too scary for some people.   

I think we would quickly dig up a few trolls who are responsible for most of the Confused emotes, for instance the person who is going to give me a confused emote for this post. 

What if for each 😕 or 😢 used, a 🍆 is earned? Adding to your idea, you could click on the name to go to their profile, and if you see (🍆 13,257) you'd be like, "Oh". 🤔

• Like 2
  • Confused 5

In most cases it is disagreement, in a few rare cases it is real confusion. Receiving those emojis means someone has read your post, thought about it and has made themselves an opinion about it. So they basically disagree with you, but do not feel the urge to express their discontent in words. Whether this is helpful for the discussion or not lies in the eye of the beholder.

In my opinion, disagreement without reasoning is a silent agreement. They could write something on their own or at least thumb-up someone else's text, who disagrees with you. It is a discussion board after all. Some of our members respond with a text containing only "No." - which has the same level of helpfulness.

Consider it as an achievement. Every confused emote means, someone has read and thought about your post. ^^

• Confused 8