The Forum's "confused" reaction [Merged]

misterman.1530

10 hours ago, misterman.1530 said:

So, what do people mean when they select the "confused" reaction? Do they mean that the post was unclear and they couldn't figure out what the poster meant? Or does it mean that the post had too many words with more than 2 syllables and/or complex words?

I see it used quite often and wondered what the general intent was: because from my perspective it speaks more to a lack of comprehension of the person reacting than it does the quality of many of the posts on which I see it used. But maybe it's being used for a different reason. 

....oh...and queue the comedians who will use the "confused" reaction to this post.... :classic_biggrin:

They mostly use it to indicate that what the person said was off the mark, weird, untrue or simply.. confusing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 8

11 hours ago, misterman.1530 said:

....oh...and queue the comedians who will use the "confused" reaction to this post.... :classic_biggrin:

xD.  Some people use it when they're upset, they don't have reddit downvote button but they want to express frustration without being subjected to a moderator it seems. Other people use it when they're literally confused, so the meaning changes per person.

• Like 1
  • Confused 5

16 hours ago, notebene.3190 said:

What if for each 😕 or 😢 used, a 🍆 is earned? Adding to your idea, you could click on the name to go to their profile, and if you see (🍆 13,257) you'd be like, "Oh". 🤔

I like it! Accountability on a forum, a novel idea, unheard of, the Anon community and Privacy Knights will have their panties in a bunch, but yes please! 🙂  

• Like 1
  • Confused 8

I think in any feedback system where you get to choose something that is not unequivocally positive (such as like or thanks), people will use them as downvotes, dislikes or disagreements (confused), or indeed mockery (laugh when it's clearly not a joke). It's not the system that's doing that though, it's the people. Sad but true.

Edited by Gehenna.3625
  • Confused 6

26 minutes ago, Gehenna.3625 said:

I think in any feedback system where you get to choose something that is not unequivocally positive (like or thanks basically) people will use any others to use as downvotes, dislikes or disagreements, or indeed mockery. It's not the system that's doing that though, it's the people. Sad but true.

Very true. But the confused emote is a strange choice to make available anyway on a forum, imo. If someone would be truly confused about a post, you would expect them to participate in the thread and ask for clarification. Giving the confused emote without chiming into the thread is odd. It is like  "I took the effort to read this post, it confused me, oh well".   

Giving a Heart or Thanks emote can stand on itself, it is very clear what the giver means to do without having to chime into the thread.  Confusement however should spur the giver into action.

It is a bad emote for a Forum, no wonder people use this to show their dislike, trolliness or having a bad day/life in general.

• Like 3
  • Confused 8

On 9/13/2021 at 9:36 AM, misterman.1530 said:

So, what do people mean when they select the "confused" reaction? Do they mean that the post was unclear and they couldn't figure out what the poster meant? Or does it mean that the post had too many words with more than 2 syllables and/or complex words?

I see it used quite often and wondered what the general intent was: because from my perspective it speaks more to a lack of comprehension of the person reacting than it does the quality of many of the posts on which I see it used. But maybe it's being used for a different reason. 

When I use it , it's because I feel the poster is the confused one and the post is just a waste of space or just unclear.  I would prefer a dunce cap emoji that some posts deservedly should be awarded..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 7

14 minutes ago, Dami.5046 said:

if it's anything like another forum i'm on it's to 'troll' plain and simple,  that's the vibe i get here, too

It got removed from said forum a while back.

shame this one isn't set to see who reacts to your posts, i think that would be interesting, lol 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 7

On 9/13/2021 at 9:43 AM, Noah Salazar.5430 said:

Mostly when question is not clear or if someone answer is confusing

Like when you asked what you like the most in pve, but someone start talking about pvp or what his not like insted

Nah, I get plenty of people trolling me with confused faces on my posts/responses even when it's perfectly clear. People just like using the I'm taking a massive dump that's not coming out face in a cutesy dumb way.

Edited by Marikus.1875
  • Like 3
  • Confused 7

As long as there are two or more different options to choose from one will be "the bad one". I am not sure why we upgraded to new forums and added more reaction options. I thought the old way was sufficient.  Negativity in forums catches spreads like a wild fire. You used to have to post a comment to tell why you disagreed with something. Now you can hide behind one click.

I would have no problem with the forums resorting back to just the "Like" option only.

Edited by Excursion.9752
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 5

3 hours ago, Excursion.9752 said:

As long as there are two or more different options to choose from one will be "the bad one". I am not sure why we upgraded to new forums and added more reaction options. I thought the old way was sufficient.  Negativity in forums catches spreads like a wild fire. You used to have to post a comment to tell why you disagreed with something. Now you can hide behind one click.

I would have no problem with the forums resorting back to just the "Like" option only.

I don't know why they got rid of the thumbs down button in the first place. Who cares if people disagree with something you wrote? People should have no expectation for either agreement or an explanation of disagreement. On the other hand, if a player asks for advice and gets obviously bad answers it would be nice to just slap the bad posts with a pile of thumbs downs instead of an emoticon that has an ambiguous meaning.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 4

1 hour ago, nosleepdemon.1368 said:

I don't know why they got rid of the thumbs down button in the first place. Who cares if people disagree with something you wrote? People should have no expectation for either agreement or an explanation of disagreement. On the other hand, if a player asks for advice and gets obviously bad answers it would be nice to just slap the bad posts with a pile of thumbs downs instead of an emoticon that has an ambiguous meaning.

Hello other side of the coin. 😉

I would wager that it got removed for the same reasons I mentioned.  I think the fact that you have to write something sways people away from replying unless they feel strongly about something. Its a bit more effort than a double click. Plus you know who's disagrees with you so if its the same person you know its a troll post. Sometimes I feel some people get negative actions just because someone wants to troll them.  Having only one option would help with some of that.

• Like 1
  • Confused 7

19 hours ago, Tyncale.1629 said:

Very true. But the confused emote is a strange choice to make available anyway on a forum, imo. If someone would be truly confused about a post, you would expect them to participate in the thread and ask for clarification. Giving the confused emote without chiming into the thread is odd. It is like  "I took the effort to read this post, it confused me, oh well".   

Giving a Heart or Thanks emote can stand on itself, it is very clear what the giver means to do without having to chime into the thread.  Confusement however should spur the giver into action.

It is a bad emote for a Forum, no wonder people use this to show their dislike, trolliness or having a bad day/life in general.

So the confused icon causes all sorts of... confusion.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 4

On 9/13/2021 at 3:53 PM, Witch of Doom.5739 said:

Straight answer, IMO most seem to use the confused reaction because there is no "Dislike."  Which is another thing that's confusing.  If you can have a "Like" you can have a "Dislike."  Guess too many people got their widdle feelings hurt??

You can as well "disagree" without "dislike" something. Symbols (like emoji) have their use, but can never replace a proper sentence to explain a thought.

• Confused 5

43 minutes ago, ShadowCatz.8437 said:

You can as well "disagree" without "dislike" something. Symbols (like emoji) have their use, but can never replace a proper sentence to explain a thought.

What would be neat is if there were only 2 emojis - a thumbs up to denote agreement, and some sort of light bulb or whatever to denote useful information...

Edited by nosleepdemon.1368
  • Confused 5