Reimagining Ventari with no Tablet

Za Shaloc.3908

Ventari's tablet is one of the most unique class mechanics in Guild Wars 2, giving the support Revenant a special playstyle that cannot be found elsewhere. It is the sole reason I started to play the Revenant class and a reason I keep coming back to it. However, over the years, it has failed to excel in competitive content, and even in its greater moments, it has shone not as a strong support, but for degenerate reasons such as knockback spamming in sPvP. There comes a point where I have to wonder: is the tablet mechanic its own worst enemy? The legend itself feels very disjointed from the rest of the class, and while more iteration could help solve its weaknesses, I do think there is still a great potential benefit to normalizing it to function more similarly to not just the rest of the legends, but also the other supports in the game. Figured I'd try to imagine what the legend could look like without the tablet while still trying to preserve the essence of who Ventari is and his impact on Tyria. The most clear examples of this normalization are making the heal (#6) skill the true heal skill, and incorporating a rez skill/trait to the class. There are a couple standards that all legends have to abide by: an upkeep skill and a CC skill. Both are incorporated here in very different ways from their current versions. The legend was also given a stunbreak as it no longer has a tablet that it can navigate while being CC'd. These are of course just ideas so don't take numbers too seriously. I could have gone way more in depth with traits but I decided to keep it more succinct. 

~~Legendary Centaur Stance Changes~~

Heal Skill: Caledon’s Hope (5 energy. 1s cast time. 30s CD)

Inspire nearby allies with the tenets of Ventari, applying a blessing to them that heals them over time.

(Caledon's Hope: Duration 3s. Heal 1500 (0.35). Pulses: 3 [Essentially functions like Troll Unguent])

Radius: 360

Utility Skill #1:Trampling Charge (20 energy. 1s channel. 10s CD)

Call upon the power of Ventari to rush you forward, gaining stability and launching any enemies in your path. 
Stability [x3]: 2s (PvP/WvW) / 4s (PvE)
Travel distance: 900
Launch distance: 180

Utility Skill #2: Purifying Essence (30 energy. Instant. 5s CD)

Break stun on yourself and cleanse conditions from nearby allies, healing them for each condition cleansed.

Heal per condition cleansed: 325 (0.2)
Radius: 300

Utility Skill #3: Protective Solace (20 energy. 0.5s cast time. 6s CD)

Bless the targeted area in a protective dome, shielding allies from projectiles and granting them regeneration and vigor at each interval.
Regeneration: 1.5s
Vigor: 1.5s
Range: 900
Radius: 240
Duration: 3s
Interval: 1s
Combo field: Light

Utility Skill #3.5 (flipover for Protective Solace): A Life Retold (10 energy. Instant cast) 

Recount the life of Ventari, releasing the energy of the dome. Grants alacrity to nearby allies and blinds nearby foes.
Alacrity: 4s
Blindness: 3s

Combo finisher: Blast

Elite Skill: Vow of Peace (5 energy, -6 upkeep. 0.5s cast time, 3s CD)

Enter an enlightened stance, increasing your outgoing healing and healing nearby allies over time. Grant barrier to nearby allies when you use a legend skill while Vow of Peace is active.
Outgoing healing bonus: 20%
Healing: 200 (0.1)
Barrier: 500 (0.3)
Interval: 1s

~~Miscellaneous Changes~~

Ancient Echo (core Revenant F2)

Ventari: Casts lesser Caledon’s Hope on nearby allies (50% potency)

Last Breathe replaces Blinding Truths in Salvation

Cast Protective Solace when reviving an ally. Protective Solace now revives allies over time. (1% in PvP/WvW, 7% in PvE)

~~

That is all! Let me know what you think. 

Note: I unfortunately have no idea how to format posts on this forum, so please bear with the lack of customization.

Edited by Za Shaloc.3908
Grammar
  • Like 1

Sorry if everything is not understandable.

A mechanic that could be used with ventari is like the example of scourge with sand, the revenant can heal around them in addition to the tablet but just for the healing nothing more "Natural harmony". Nothing that doubles it just to be able to do it in 2 places.

The fact of moving the tablet gives an additional buff like a regeneration or another. Knowing that with the trait we can get vigor or put blindness (to have tested with this one, with the tablet I put blindness only to one target and not 5 as written .... )

And improved very slightly the trait "resilient spirit".

Edited by Angesombre.4630
  • Like 1

Thankfully Anet promised not to make drastic changes like this post. The only class that can fully function as a close range healer or kite healer does not need help, except for underwater access. If you can't be bothered to learn it and are that incompetent to play without stability, then please fall in line with the other heal firebrands.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

On 9/13/2021 at 9:26 PM, Angesombre.4630 said:

Sorry if everything is not understandable.

A mechanic that could be used with ventari is like the example of scourge with sand, the revenant can heal around them in addition to the tablet but just for the healing nothing more "Natural harmony". Nothing that doubles it just to be able to do it in 2 places.

The fact of moving the tablet gives an additional buff like a regeneration or another. Knowing that with the trait we can get vigor or put blindness (to have tested with this one, with the tablet I put blindness only to one target and not 5 as written .... )

And improved very slightly the trait "resilient spirit".

I think something like that would certainly make it a lot more useable. Would be quite cool to have such a functionality, even if just through a trait.

3 hours ago, Echo.6310 said:

Thankfully Anet promised not to make drastic changes like this post. The only class that can fully function as a close range healer or kite healer does not need help, except for underwater access. If you can't be bothered to learn it and are that incompetent to play without stability, then please fall in line with the other heal firebrands.

Haha. Go off dude. Just throwing out ideas does not mean I don't know how to play it in its current iteration. I clearly mentioned that I tried to imagine how it would look without the tablet, not that it needs to happen. But please, keep stroking your own ego some more.  Forgive me for wanting a more competitive build that actually sees presence in PvP and WvW as a solid support. 

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

7 minutes ago, Scoobaniec.9561 said:

They could just delete Ventari completely and i wouldnt even notice nor care. Whole reason why hes even a selectable legend is a nod to sylvari in hot anyway. And like the shortcut says ventari is a hot garbage indeed

Unfortunately I dont think you are alone with that sentiment. Wish more people appreciated it but I get why not.

Ventari is actually very underrated.... and a very good wvw support anchor to take some of the pressure from FB's and scrappers,  the way that ventari works is actually what makes it fun and good to play since its very diferent from any  other kind of support that game offers.

Last time i did support on spvp i ha several PM's rages from several players that dont know how the game even works..but they were high ranked way more than me lol... if some one QQ by cant kill a ventari the player is just plain new or a very bad player expecting to get carried easily, note that ventai cant heal himself quite well since most heal is outgoing, its a class  with trade off that favours its the alies more than itself, its not a boon spamer for the plebs the good part of ventari tablet cames out of paying atentiion to the enemy skills  or predict slitghy the enemy gambles.

I also dont feel the need stunbreaks as a ventari we have several ways to avoid it as a ventari or ventari/herald(its an amazing setup IMO).... and rev heal skill making a low cost small heal  actually is one of the many trade off tablet offers since its about tablet relocation, we can heal ourselves from other traits and since we also have another legend isnt so bad to sacrifice it.

About ventari elite.. spam detonation KB, yeah IMO thats where tablet needs a change :| altough i end use it alot on choke points to burn enmey cc or sending tablet in the back of the enemy to kB towards my direction, but its something that i would not mind to loose.

Note 2: Ventari was a pacifist, exiled from the centaurs battles, that's what the tablet represents.

Its a strong legend and very underrated i can also understand why many players fail playing it.

I would ask only for 2 changes but m8 make tablet to easy to play:

Remove the Elite Skill and reduce tablet movement to 2sec and remove the blind trait or give a ICD to it.

@Angesombre.4630

Regen on tablet movement was removed long time ago, its just a 700hp heal aoe @2.2k healing power, only boon tablet produce is alacrity.

Edited by Aeolus.3615
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Aeolus.3615 said:

Ventari is actually very underrated.... and a very good wvw support anchor to take some of the pressure from FB's and scrappers,  the way that ventari works is actually what makes it fun and good to play since its very diferent from any  other kind of support that game offers.

Note: i dont feel the need stunbreaks as a ventari.... and rev heal making a low aor lmost none heal, actually is one of the many trade off tablet offers, we can heal ourselves from other traits and since we also have another legend isnt so bad to sacrifice it.

About ventari elite.. spam detonation KB, yeah IMO thats where tablet needs a change 😐 altough i end use it alot on choke points to burn enmey cc or sending tablet in the back of the enemy to kB towards my direction, but its something that i would not mind to loose.

Note 2: Ventari was a pacifist, exiled from the centaurs battles, that's what the tablet represents.

Its a strong legend and very underrated.

@Angesombre.4630

Regen on tablet movement was removed long time ago, its just a 700hp heal aoe @2.2k healing power

Is it underrated? Sure I would say it is, because most view it as absolute trash. My beliefs lie more in the middle--I think it is underrated but still quite noticeably underperforming. I don't think it excels well enough at the niche it occupies. I also don't think the issues of support Rev are strictly related to Ventari and think that the biggest things Ventari needs is increased "ease" of use to make be both proactive and reactive with (faster reaction/response time). I am all for them improving the current version in just a few areas for it to have a noticeable improvement, but I also do believe it can be argued that the tablet functionality holds the legend/class back for the sake of uniqueness. The suggestions in the OP were ideas of how it would function as a more normalized legend rather than having to micromanage the tablet, which can feel a bit odd when it only exists within one legend (personally I believe the tablet functionality would have served better as an e-spec so it could exist as the class mechanic rather than a sole legend). 

(I'm a huge fan of the knockback on the tablet and think it cleansing also has wonderful practicality, but I think it definitely errs on the side of cheese due to its spammable nature. What do you think it could be changed to? Personally I think it doesn't really need any changes. And yes, Ventari was a pacifist, but it's also hard to implement a fully "pacifist" them in a game that is based around combat. The knockback makes sense and doesn't really stray from this theme, as it is meant to keep enemies away from a particular area.)

Edited by Za Shaloc.3908
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Za Shaloc.3908 said:

Is it underrated? Sure I would say it is, because most view it as absolute trash. My beliefs lie more in the middle--I think it is underrated but still quite noticeably underperforming. I don't think it excels well enough at the niche it occupies. I also don't think the issues of support Rev are strictly related to Ventari and think that the biggest things Ventari needs is increased "ease" of use to make be both proactive and reactive with (faster reaction/response time). I am all for them improving the current version in just a few areas for it to have a noticeable improvement, but I also do believe it can be argued that the tablet functionality holds the legend/class back for the sake of uniqueness. The suggestions in the OP were ideas of how it would function as a more normalized legend rather than having to micromanage the tablet. 

(I'm a huge fan of the knockback on the tablet and think it cleansing also has wonderful practicality, but I think it definitely errs on the side of cheese due to its spammable nature. What do you think it could be changed to? Personally I think it doesn't really need any changes. And yes, Ventari was a pacifist, but it's also hard to implement a fully "pacifist" them in a game that is based around combat. The knockback makes sense and doesn't really stray from this theme, as it is meant to keep enemies away from a particular area.)

The elite blast spamming, i can see where ur at i actually hate/love it at the same time, hate the skill but when its good used..has some interesting results, i had my quantity of trolling with blind and KB spam players taking camps while the veteran kills them :| with 2 revs ive even played ping pong trolling a scourge takign a sentry...

Reducing the tablet to 2sec would be a major boost to its gameplay actually imo would be a super boost, but would make the elite blasting  to call tablet combo happens fast would be a massive KB spam with a blind and a blast(staf4 and this combo is a 2x if i recall), reason i would not mind to loose the elite skill to something that would produce a similiar effects with a larger CD, the trait blinding truths is a no ICD blind trait that could be something else or have a ICD aplayed to it since tablet movement get a CD reducing.

Any other changes to make rev overal easier to support?

Well maybe we could get back the 10 ally targets trait :)

Shield, im somewhat divided here, w/o the root m8 make the skill to strong altough i would love something to be aplyed to alies arround while im rooted, shield 4 envoy exuberance i actually fail alot of heals at range with this skill but duno here how would make it better besides the "send energy " travels faster.

8 minutes ago, Heinel.6548 said:

Eh, if being the absolute best at it's niche is not "excels well enough at the niche,' what is?

If you want a normal functional healer, just use Glint.

Glint cant heal players being spiked(shield 4 and staff 4 are 4k aoes with condi cleanse tho), ventari can make a better impact of putting that no health space back up....and make them stop being spiked or force players to use/burn unbookable.

When u swap from any legen to ventari the tablet is casted anywhere else in the batle field doesnt need to be placed near the toon, theres a learning curve on how can i improve the gameplay with the current game configs, when i swap to ventari the tablet apears where i want in range right above my ally if i want, glint dont have that option...

Something i do offten when ic a ally being finished and im in warclaw is get off imidially and send tablet (if its in range ofc)while being dismounted then KB targets, sometimes we can put the player back up and be a 2v2.

Note: having a team that can understand your build is also a must and help u make wonders with a tablet...

Edited by Aeolus.3615

5 minutes ago, Aeolus.3615 said:

Glint cant heal players being spiked, ventari can....and make them stop being spiked or force players to use/burn unblocables

When u swap from any legen to ventari the tablet is casted anywhere else in the batle field doesnt need to be placed near the toon, theres a learning curve on how can i improve the gameplay with the current game configs, when i swap to ventari the tablet apears where i want in range right above my ally if i want, glint dont have that option...

Something i do offten when ic a ally being finished and im in warclaw is get off imidially and send tablet (if its in range ofc)while being dismounted then KB targets, sometimes we can put the player back up and be a 2v2.

Oh you're doing it wrong. Glint/Jalis has incredible damage reduction and guess what, you have weapons that can burst heal.

11 minutes ago, Heinel.6548 said:

Oh you're doing it wrong. Glint/Jalis has incredible damage reduction and guess what, you have weapons that can burst heal.

usualy we have those as well, jalis stuff is actually what made me initially play rev at launch but when i saw the potention of  ventari (as a gw1 monk myself) kinda felt at home.

Another thing that i like on rev tablet is strong heals w/o casting many boons, no boons sometimes is life savior and makes enemy necros/mesmer bit confuse :)

Recoment to transform vengfull hammners in a vampiric spin to win its actually fun when several use this :P (note VH triggers food and sigils effects)

EDIT: remembered another change, tablet fly time very slightly speed buuf  could help, to heal target faster on the other side sometimes need to cast heal 1st then move but in a very fast way, but this makes e-management bit worse due how heavy burden swaping order can affect the energy lost/recovering.

Edited by Aeolus.3615

12 minutes ago, Aeolus.3615 said:

usualy we have those as well, jalis stuff is actually what made me initially play rev at launch but when i saw the potention of  ventari (as a gw1 monk myself) kinda felt at home.

Another thing that i like on rev tablet is strong heals w/o casting many boons, no boons sometimes is life savior and makes enemy necros/mesmer bit confuse 🙂

Recoment to transform vengfull hammners in a vampiric spin to win its actually fun when several use this 😛 (note VH triggers food and sigils effects)

Well, what you like about Ventari is what the majority hate about it. Erm, good luck I guess. I don't know why you are quoting me though. 

50 minutes ago, Heinel.6548 said:

Well, what you like about Ventari is what the majority hate about it. Erm, good luck I guess. I don't know why you are quoting me though. 

I feel that people want to use ventari and contribute to the blob of boons anything diferent is considerated trash, that imo is ruining ventari and what makes it diferent, its all about observation and fast response to catch a spike on allies. (keybind and options helps alot) 

Every other class is diferent from this so lets this be direfernt, actually i was hoping Anet could fix druid besides being a condi cc spam bot to actually fill the niche of the nature suporter, celestial avatar is a beast but outside of it its very weak.

I play  it since basicly rev was out maybe i m8 be biased and wasnt that easy at the beggning...i had to bind skills to certain keys and even change on the option menu how the skill perform on mouse location when used (theres an option to that in game made tablet control super easilly compared with the normal options)

general options: Fast with range indicator + check on Lock ground target at max skill range(no more  red placement due rage misscalculation, IMO this is what game should force to every aoe actually)

Edited by Aeolus.3615
  • Like 1

Ventari + tablet is pretty great. There's zero need to remove such a unique feature, I would much prefer working with improving the summoned, controllable tablet than gutting the Legend. It may feel at odds with the other Legends at times, but there are interesting synergies to be had. I've began subbing it in favour of Mallyx in fractals where projectile hate is favourable, like in the pirate boat fractal for example. Channel The Dome and then switch to Renegade and channel Soulcleave. Spend energy on Orders From Above when required, Seven Shot when it's up etc. Kalla and Ventari both have summoned totem style effects so the switching does not feel strange IMO.

• Like 2