Cull the Weak Idea

CalmTheStorm.2364

**This was initially posted in the Revitalizing Warrior: Defense thread, but it looks like it got buried and no one saw it, so I'm re-posting it here.  I welcome your feedback!**

I've been thinking on some of the comments that in this thread and I had an idea I wanted to float past you all regarding Cull the Weak.

@anbujackson.9564had noted that neither the current Cull the Weak nor my suggestion for it offers any benefit for condi builds and had suggested incorporating vulnerability.  @Dadnir.5038suggested that it shouldn't be base on a "on crit" proc.  Both good thoughts.  And then I had a thought or two of my own.  So here goes:

Cull the Weak:

Apply vulnerability (5 stacks for 5s) when you inflict weakness on a foe.

When you strike a foe in combat, inflict your target and nearby enemies with weakness (5s weakness, 240 radius, 20s ICD).

Discussion:

-Vulnerability provides some value for Condi builds, and provides assistance in a team fight since it amplifies the damage your target receives from all sources.

-No longer procs on crit, so even condi builds running Carrion or trailblazer could use it

-The mini-AOE effect would allow us to provide a little more presence in Zergs or team fights

What do you think?

For larger scale formats (OWPvE, Raids, WvW) it is easier to apply 25 stacks of Vuln on a target, and any further stacks are kind of wasted. I know your viewpoint is mostly from sPvP, and your suggestion would help there certainly, but you have to take into account the other game modes with such a change in functionality.

What would be better is for CtW to apply its damage boost to all damage, not just strike damage coupled with a higher application rate either from itself or from other trait synergies.

I do like the idea of applying Weakness in an AoE rather than on a single target though.

Good points all around.

10 minutes ago, Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

For larger scale formats (OWPvE, Raids, WvW) it is easier to apply 25 stacks of Vuln on a target, and any further stacks are kind of wasted. I know your viewpoint is mostly from sPvP, and your suggestion would help there certainly, but you have to take into account the other game modes with such a change in functionality.

What would be better is for CtW to apply its damage boost to all damage, not just strike damage coupled with a higher application rate either from itself or from other trait synergies.

I do like the idea of applying Weakness in an AoE rather than on a single target though.

How about +5% damage and +5% condi damage to weakened foes?

7 minutes ago, Dadnir.5038 said:

I like the idea of applying vuln when you apply weakness. However, I'm not to fond of things with ICD, I'd change the second part of the trait to: Apply weakness on foes you successfully hit with a burst.

Oooh I like that.  I think we'd need an ICD on that, too...otherwise you could have a Spellbreaker do Burst>FC> Burst and give 15s of weakness lol.  You could probably get away with a 5s ICD if CtW proc'd on burst hit.  But you would still need something to prevent Weakness spam.

1 hour ago, CalmTheStorm.2364 said:

Good points all around.

How about +5% damage and +5% condi damage to weakened foes?

No, just make the current modifier affect all damage sources.

1 hour ago, CalmTheStorm.2364 said:

Oooh I like that.  I think we'd need an ICD on that, too...otherwise you could have a Spellbreaker do Burst>FC> Burst and give 15s of weakness lol.  You could probably get away with a 5s ICD if CtW proc'd on burst hit.  But you would still need something to prevent Weakness spam.

Treat it like sundering bursts where there is an icd on consecutive hits from the same burst, but a lower weakness duration if you are a Spellbreaker or Berserker (2s). Essentially give it the Dhuumfire treatment. Which is frankly the best way to curb problemsome trait interactions without nerfing core.