Convinced my friend to buy this, sorely dissapointed

Sicktanick.4369

2 minutes ago, Swagger.1459 said:

“ANet is trying to have its cake and eat it too.”

Ummm no, that’s some players… Anet has a business to run, employees to pay, and thousands of bills. Even then, they still don’t charge a monthly fee and players can get anything off the gemstore for free by exchanging gold to gems… Don’t accuse Anet of being some type of way, when in reality it’s the cheapy players complaining. If spending a $100 on a video game is problematic for some people,, they have bigger issues. Perhaps they should spend less time gaming if finances are an issue. 

You completely missed the point.

I don't have a problem with the fact that ANet charges for LW. I even think that the price is fair.

What they are doing wrong is doing the following two things at the same time:

(1) not properly explaining what LW content is, how it's bought, and therefore making it quite easy to miss, and

(2) putting important story and mechanical elements in there.

Neither of those things has to do with price. (1) alone is fine, other games have truly optional DLC that players don't need for story or gameplay improvements. (2) alone would be fine as well, so long as it's marketed properly.

Having both (1) and (2) at the same time is what results in confusion and refunds.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, voltaicbore.8012 said:

If they want to explain LW DLC so poorly and make it so easy to miss, they shouldn't include central story elements/important things like the Skyscale in it.

I wasn't even aware that the skyscale was a part of LW until you pointed it out cause it does seem to let everyone who has one explore areas and reach points with absolute ease compared to people without it. It not being obtainable without a specific LW chapter seems a little weird.

37 minutes ago, voltaicbore.8012 said:

GW2 is not at all ready for an FFXIV-like renaissance.

GW2 has some incredible highs and when it works its a complete blast, but it does also have some rougher edges and a lot of things go unexplained as has been pointed out in other threads on the forums I've read.

So I agree on the fact that, I don't think it would be nearly as welcoming to newer players cause I can see a lot of people running into systems/mechanics or design choices they don't understand and getting frustrated. A rise in popularity would prompt more videos and could lead to people getting a negative impression of what's essentially a pretty diverse and really fun game that simply falls short in some areas of making it a more cohesive experience.

Edited by Fenris Silverfang.7906
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

7 minutes ago, voltaicbore.8012 said:

You completely missed the point.

I don't have a problem with the fact that ANet charges for LW. I even think that the price is fair.

What they are doing wrong is doing the following two things at the same time:

(1) not properly explaining what LW content is, how it's bought, and therefore making it quite easy to miss, and

(2) putting important story and mechanical elements in there.

Neither of those things has to do with price. (1) alone is fine, other games have truly optional DLC that players don't need for story or gameplay improvements. (2) alone would be fine as well, so long as it's marketed properly.

Having both (1) and (2) at the same time is what results in confusion and refunds.

Ok, so you want it explained better by anet, not that Anet “wants their cake and eat it too”. 

You pay for the xpacs, you pay for the missed story, you don’t pay a monthly fee, you can everything off the gemstore for $0 if someone chooses… It’s a $100 bucks fit a decades worth of game development and content. 

The main problems with this equation is that some people want stuff for the cheapest price possible, and will complain at every chance. If $100 for unlimited access to a video game in 2021 is too much, then we’ll yeah… 

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

Just now, Swagger.1459 said:

Ok, so you want it explained better by anet, not that Anet “wants their cake and eat it too”. 

You pay for the xpacs, you pay for the missed story, you don’t pay a monthly fee, you can everything off the gemstore for $0 if someone chooses… It’s a $100 bucks fit a decades worth of game development and content. 

The main problems with this equation is that some people want stuff for the cheapest price possible, and will complain at every chance. If $100 for unlimited access to a video game in 2021 is too much, then we’ll yeah… 

You're missing the point, again.

Some companies can get away with putting important things in their DLC, so long as players understand the importance of what is in the DLC to the future of their gameplay. So long as ANet explained at purchase that LW DLC has story continuation in it, I'd be fine with essential things being put into LW.

Some companies can get away with not explaining DLC very much, because their DLC is truly optional and exists purely as a moneymaker between xpacs. If ANet didn't put main story chapters and other important things into LW, I'd be fine with the current situation of poor explanation.

ANet is trying to get away with (1) putting important things in LW, and (2) not explaining that properly. Companies can do one or the other, but doing (1) and (2) at the same time is bad. Price has nothing to do with this, I'm not sure why you keep bringing it up.

Not sure how much clearer I can make this.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, kharmin.7683 said:

Who defines properly

The consumer, ultimately. As problematic as that is, that's also how stuff works in a (relatively) free market. Sometimes, when things go wrong, legislators and the courts define it, but this is nowhere near that scale of importance.

For me, "properly" explaining LW at purchase would at least include an asterisk that tells players that some story elements are only available with LW, which is not included with their bundle.

ANet probably wants to avoid this at all costs, because nothing can torpedo a sale as fast as "hey, do you realize we're selling you something, but some important aspects of it we broke off into this other thing you have to buy separately?". What I'm saying is that this is a problem of ANet's own making, due their decision to put main story continuation into a product that they sell separately without actually wanting to tell people how separate it is. There's the additional confusion of just giving away LW for free to a lot of folks, which is probably how a lot of newer people don't even realize that LW is paid content outside of the giveaway periods.

It's not really a solvable problem at this point, but people like OP make it worse for their friends by just encouraging purchases without knowing enough to explain the holes in the process.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I never regretted buying GW2 and no one of my friends had issues except for the gatings which sometimes makes the game sour for us. When it starts to feel like a second job we just drop the game for a while and coming back later.

But one thing is sure and for all of us,if EOD will have such gatings like the Skyscale or Gryphon quests we are done with prepurchasing and possible with future expansions too at full price.

• Confused 2

21 minutes ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

I hope End of Dragons introduces more collections like the Skyscale. Many more long, involved quests, in fact. 

Don't get me wrong I love the mounts and the quests are fine too the problem is with the unnecessarily long path to get them. The Roller Beetle quest I think is long enough for example. 

Anyway we will see with the new expansion what new it brings,we got it and the turtle sounds good xD

Do we know if they are going to re-run the entirety of the ice brood saga as well once the re-run of season 4 is done?...

Not sure if there's been any official word on that, but if so that makes buying the remaining chapters not as huge of an investment if I intend on getting them all eventually.

I'd love to be able to not nag and don't want to seem ungrateful trust me.  I do very much think they deserve the support considering its not got a monthly sub but... I'm running on roughly 13+ year old hardware thats held together by tape and can barely afford living on basics at the moment.

So I want to make sure that whatever I don't end up paying more than I have to.

I'll leave one last thing. I think a business model of selling fan service piece-meal isn't going to keep the game relevant in the future. It'll shrink and shrivel I bet. The Secret World tried to do that type of model for years now and it is pretty much dead as a result. An mmorpg would probably do better focusing on world building systems that add depth to what is already there and expand player population and engagement. New systems, new systems, new systems! Guild Wars 1 had a ton of depth like that during it's prime. Maybe going back to analyze the success of the progenitor is key to gw2's future.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

IMHO Living Worlds are a proof about how bad Anet is at marketing. So you actually buy the expansion and then you can't even progress the story because there is some more story behind a money gate. The fact that you have two chances to get them for free (now and during release) means nothing for the players who missed them.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

On 9/14/2021 at 2:47 PM, Sicktanick.4369 said:

I have not played since fractals were introduced, and I fondly remember so many things about the game. I convinced my friend to buy all the stuff up to the new expansion and am severely disappointed with the living world. It seems for him JUST to play what is essentially the story of the game he has to spend upwards of 60+ dollars. With that and the base games he is spending 100+ dollars on the game...needless to say he bailed immediately and got a refund for the purchase approved.

Is there something I am missing that makes this more reasonable? Very sad to see that returning players/new players are punished so severely.

Uhmm.... maybe i get this totally wrong.

But isn't the whole point of the free base game that people can get a taste if they like it or not?

You should have advised him to play the base game first and then buy all the other useless stuff.

• Like 4

Completely agree. When I bought all the expensions I expected to have access to all content. The fact that they sell years old story missions was very disappointing. Either increase the price of the expansions and give us those missions or add a huge disclaimer that you actually don't get all the content.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Are they re-running season 5 as well? I still don't know if that's the case.. would thank anyone for confirmation.

If so you could get S3 and the start of S4 for about 17~ pounds while getting the remaining episodes of 4 and all of 5 for free if you started now. That would give you access to all mastery paths and all zones they added outside of expansion content.

S2 was only story and probably the one you'd miss the least I reckon, that's a pretty alright deal to me.

Again going with what people said though, if you join in late, you might feel less inclined to do so cause that easily becomes double on top of having to purchase the expansions themselves.

Edited by Fenris Silverfang.7906

3 hours ago, Zoidberg.9237 said:

Either increase the price of the expansions and give us those missions or add a huge disclaimer that you actually don't get all the content.

If you're willing to pay an increased price for the expansions, then what is your complaint about the current pricing model?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 2

3 hours ago, Fenris Silverfang.7906 said:

Are they re-running season 5 as well? I still don't know if that's the case.. would thank anyone for confirmation.

If so you could get S3 and the start of S4 for about 17~ pounds while getting the remaining episodes of 4 and all of 5 for free if you started now. That would give you access to all mastery paths and all zones they added outside of expansion content.

S2 was only story and probably the one you'd miss the least I reckon, that's a pretty alright deal to me.

Again going with what people said though, if you join in late, you might feel less inclined to do so cause that easily becomes double on top of having to purchase the expansions themselves.

Yes they are, Icebrood saga is next up.  We will get the 32 slot bag once completing the LS4 set.  And the last set in ibs will reward the legendary neck.

4 hours ago, Amnariel.3659 said:

Don't get me wrong I love the mounts and the quests are fine too the problem is with the unnecessarily long path to get them. The Roller Beetle quest I think is long enough for example. 

Anyway we will see with the new expansion what new it brings,we got it and the turtle sounds good xD

And I hope the quests are just as long and involved.  I found it fun and rewarding.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Fenris Silverfang.7906 said:

Do we know if they are going to re-run the entirety of the ice brood saga as well once the re-run of season 4 is done?...

Not sure if there's been any official word on that, but if so that makes buying the remaining chapters not as huge of an investment if I intend on getting them all eventually.

I'd love to be able to not nag and don't want to seem ungrateful trust me.  I do very much think they deserve the support considering its not got a monthly sub but... I'm running on roughly 13+ year old hardware thats held together by tape and can barely afford living on basics at the moment.

So I want to make sure that whatever I don't end up paying more than I have to.

Official confirmation:  https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/guild-wars-2-live-fall-and-winter-2021/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, voltaicbore.8012 said:

You're missing the point, again.

Some companies can get away with putting important things in their DLC, so long as players understand the importance of what is in the DLC to the future of their gameplay. So long as ANet explained at purchase that LW DLC has story continuation in it, I'd be fine with essential things being put into LW.

Some companies can get away with not explaining DLC very much, because their DLC is truly optional and exists purely as a moneymaker between xpacs. If ANet didn't put main story chapters and other important things into LW, I'd be fine with the current situation of poor explanation.

ANet is trying to get away with (1) putting important things in LW, and (2) not explaining that properly. Companies can do one or the other, but doing (1) and (2) at the same time is bad. Price has nothing to do with this, I'm not sure why you keep bringing it up.

Not sure how much clearer I can make this.

"So long as ANet explained at purchase that LW DLC has story continuation in it"

The LW is a continuation of the story. That's pretty clear. 

This thread is really about the cost, I'm not concerned with whatever you are trying to spin doctor. Complaining about $100 investment in an almost 10yo game is silly. Some of you just want all the free stuff on top on no sub fee just because it's a "video game" product. Ridiculous to complain about a decade worth of game and content for $100. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

40 minutes ago, Swagger.1459 said:

"So long as ANet explained at purchase that LW DLC has story continuation in it"

The LW is a continuation of the story. That's pretty clear. 

This thread is really about the cost, I'm not concerned with whatever you are trying to spin doctor. Complaining about $100 investment in an almost 10yo game is silly. Some of you just want all the free stuff on top on no sub fee just because it's a "video game" product. Ridiculous to complain about a decade worth of game and content for $100. 

What is more ridiculous is after thinking that you have got a good deal but only to find out later that you have only paid for half the game. It's ridiculous to try to change the facts by diverting this topic into the game being a decade old ( yep it is old) and having lots of contents but not for everyone.

Edited by Mil.3562
typos
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1