Anet plz Rendeem Braham

Balsa.3951

He has the best and deepest story line of all characters, but is over and over cut short.

He has a great voice and is very likeable, his connection with Rox and Taimi was great, but all seems lost in the chaos.

Just give him some great hero moment, he deserves it.

IBS should have been his moment to shine, but it failed sadly 

plzplz 

make us like the Pcs so far, only Ritlock is in great shape

• Haha 4
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 2

13 hours ago, Balsa.3951 said:

Anet plz Rendeem Braham

They did, in Season 4.

But in Champions, Braham slowly reverted from his IBS state to his S1 state.

In Snowden was his S3 state, in Thunderhead his HoT state, and at the end, Tom Abernathy's desire literally put him where he started at. To quote the dev to the best of my memory: "with clear skies ahead of him and no responsibilities; he can choose his own fate from here".

13 hours ago, Balsa.3951 said:

Just give him some great hero moment, he deserves it.

IBS should have been his moment to shine, but it failed sadly

IBS was his "great hero moment", and it's unlikely we're going to visit him again given players can't get over his S3E3 actions.

• Like 4
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

38 minutes ago, Goettel.4389 said:

Maybe 50% off-topic, but I'll say: kill him ASAP please, thanks.

that's exactly why I'm right. How can it be that a fictional char is so unlikable while in total control of the writers.

PPl give me confused emo and say brahams end in IBS was good but than u get everyone else want him dead

Edited by Balsa.3951
  • Confused 3

I don't think Braham is so bad. Oh, he was pretty degraded in Season 3, when pretty much all of Dragon's Watch abandoned the Pact Commander (PC from here on out) just before going to Elona, but he got better over season 4, and he served his purpose during Icebrood (I hate IBS as an abbreviation; reminds me of Irritable Bowel Syndrome). Honestly, I think they should have killed Braham during Champions, when he and Ryland were going at each other and Jormag and Primordus killed each other. Only reason they didn't, I feel, is because they wanted that last fight with Ryland and force Rytlock to kill his son. I say this because, after having so many people die in the fight against Zhaitan who we barely got to know, the rest of the dragons have been pretty light on ally deaths. Braham was someone we got to know for a long while, and his volunteering to be Primordus's champion to guide him seemed like a fitting end to his arc, where his death would actually hurt.

With him not dead and the norn free of Jormag, I think I'm ready to marry him off so Eir's lineage can continue on, and I'm happy for him to be a background character to helps out occasionally, kind of like Logan is now. He wasn't exactly my favourite, but even at his worst, I never hated him.

• Like 7

Pls no more Braham (at least for a while). Honestly, I still don't get how he got back from being Primordus' champion barely scathed (not at all physically), much less alive when he just barely seemed to be hanging on during Primordus' control even with the Spirits of the Wild protecting him. It would have made much more sense and had more impact for him to have died or gotten severely wounded for his sacrifice at the end of the Saga.

I do think he'll have a break in the story for now though while we go to Cantha. He doesn't really have much reason to go there and much more to stay back and possibly lead or help the current Norn resettlement/expansion efforts in the Far Shiverpeaks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 2

On 9/15/2021 at 9:16 AM, Sajuuk Khar.1509 said:

He had one. He self sacrificed to become Primordus' champion so he could direct the dragon toward Jormag so they could kill each other.

No one in their right mind will say they consider the execution of that idea good writing. It was awfully rushed and completely comical at the end.

Edited by Ashantara.8731
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

Do we need to focus on him again? Never hated nor liked the guy but after they KILLed 2 ELDER DRAGONS and let him live? Nope, don't need any more of him, that was the last straw for me.
Stop shoehorning him in Anet, you had your chances and you screwed it up with the IBS ending. I'm glad they didn't give Rox too much screen time considering she was his companion/close friend, otherwise they might butcher her too

Edited by Ultramex.1506
  • Confused 4

On 9/23/2021 at 10:54 AM, Ashantara.8731 said:

No one in their right mind will say they consider the execution of that idea good writing. It was awfully rushed and completely comical at the end.

It was the exact opposite of rushed.

Braham's storyline, and path to that, began in November 2016 with the "A Crack in the Ice" update, continued into LWS4, and through IBS where the WHOLE STORY began with Ryland and Bangar stealing his bow. Literal YEARS of build up went into it.

Edited by Sajuuk Khar.1509
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 2

11 minutes ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

The most important part was totally rushed, because the whole season got cut short. That's a known fact.

Except it wasn't, and Anet themselves have said it wasn't.

We know that IBS was originally going to have 4 more chapters, instead of the four champions releases, and that the story of IBS wasn't changed all that much. If we look at the four Champions releases, we can easily see how those 4 chapters would have gone

• Chapter 5: Braham starts getting his "Destroyer sense" powers, and wonders what it means(like we saw in Champions P1 during the Rata Sum attack story instance, and Metrica Province DRM)
  • Chapter 6: Braham continues to develop his "Destroyer sense" powers, questions how how fits into the fact that only Jormag and Primordus can kill each other, gets advice about his role in taking down Jormag and Primordus, and gets a cryptic clue from Owl before Owl dies(like we see in the Thunderhead Peaks and Snowden Drifts DRMS)
  • Visions of the Past 2 update: Braham puts the pieces together in his head, and realizes what he has to do. Going into the volcano and using the power of the Spirits of the Wild to become Primordus' champion(as we see in the Wildfire story instance in Champions part 3)
  • Chapter 7: Allied forces take the fight to Jormag and Primordus to try to end both of them. Braham, now Primordus' champion, shows up on the battlefield clearly struggling with maintaining control(As we see in the Fireheart Rise DRM)
  • Chapter 8: We reach the point of fighting both Dragons, Braham brings Primordus to Jormag so they can duke it out, we sever the links between the Champions and dragons using Aurene's magic, and kill both dragons(as we see in Dragonstorm)

The only thing that got cut from IBS was the last two maps they had planned. Seemingly one in the Centaur Homelands, and the other a larger Dragonstorm fight around Anvil Rock. The actual story remained the same.

They had already done 90% of the setup for this in LWS3, LWS4, and the first half of IBS. There wasn't much for Braham to do besides finally take the plunge, and do it. There isn't some huge amount of story content cut from this arc.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

18 minutes ago, Sajuuk Khar.1509 said:

We know that IBS was originally going to have 4 more chapters, instead of the four champions releases

Exactly. What you quoted was ANet putting everything they had originally planned for four more chapters into one. The results were bad.

18 minutes ago, Sajuuk Khar.1509 said:

and that the story of IBS wasn't changed all that much.

You don't get my point: I am not talking about the story but the execution of the plot. You can have great story ideas and still screw up by, for instance, squeezing them (or, as in this case, the final part if it) into a small space - ergo, rushed.

If you don't find the right pace for a story, the idea can still be excellent. But when you don't make time for proper dialogue and a dramatic pace, the idea doesn't matter, the results will still look awful.

In this case, Champions, and the "final fight" in particular, was comical, not dramatic. (The only good scene was Rytlock and Crecia kneeling by their dead cub.)

Edited by Ashantara.8731
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1

On 9/23/2021 at 12:04 PM, Rognik.2579 said:

Been a while since I played through Mordremoth's story, but remind me how many people died. I'm talking named NPCs, since all the dragons have killed countless NPCs.

Traherne, Eir, Faolin, Zojja (let's be honest, she's dead at this point).

Quick ones I can remember off the top of my head.

11 minutes ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

Exactly. What you quoted was ANet putting everything they had originally planned for four more chapters into one. The results were bad.

Except Champions isn't just one chapter in terms of how much storytelling time was given.

The average IBS chapter story takes around an hour to complete, and a good half of that is just going around the open world map, and doing events, between the rather small instances. Even then, most IBS story instances are just walking along linear paths, fighting enemies, and listening to NPCs/The Commander talk to each other.

Between

• The 10 DRMs(which can take around 15 minutes each to complete)
  • The small conversations at the EoTN in between the DRMs
  • The other instances like the Rata Novus attack, The Wildfire volcano trip, and Taimi presenting her Destroyer research to the Asura/Ryland

There's about... 4 hours worth of story content in Champions. Most of which is doing basic events like delivering supplies, or rescuing people for the pre-events, or walking down linear pathways while listening to NPCs talk. Exactly like the normal chapters.

So for the four hours of narrative we would have gotten in the original 4 chapters, we got 4  hours of narrative content in Champions to make up for it. Again, the only thing that got cut was the open world maps+metas, not the actual plot. Champions is just one giant string of plot, without the non plot stuff attached.

Even then, you look at Arah story mode, Dragon's Stand, and Dragonfall, and none of them are particularly story heavy. Either in the open world meta, or the actual story instances themselves. By the time we get to the point of fighting the dragon we have already gained all the knowledge/allies we need, and are just paying off on everything we had done previously. So there wasn't even actually 4 chapters worth of real story left. More like 2.5. Which we quite demonstrably got in Champions.

We didn't just get one Chapter's worth of story time to cover 4 chapters worth of story. We got 4 chapters worth of story time in one extra long chapter, and lost out on the non story maps/open world stuff thats usually attached to it.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

10 minutes ago, Bristingr.5034 said:

Traherne, Eir, Faolin, Zojja (let's be honest, she's dead at this point).

Quick ones I can remember off the top of my head.

Zojja does not count. She's still there, even if she's essentially a vegetable now.

As for scale, there were at least a dozen people who died in the path leading up to killing Zhaitan. Far more if you count all the branches. The main difference is those three were important characters, while most of the deaths in the Personal Story were there just for that chapter.