Do you ever regret your race/profession combo?

EpicName.4523

I am the type of person who likes to have a bit everything, so I made one character of each profession and of every race. However, I cannot help but occasionally regret my choices. 

It is not only the way certain characters look, but also how the new elite specs totally change how they play. For example, they just announced the bladesworn elite for warriors. If you are a charr or human that is fine. But...I have a norn warrior that I imagined like a hulking barbarian, similarly to the one in Diablo. For a half-naked brute, it just looks silly to hold a tiny pistol in your off-hand. It just doesn't work thematically.

I believe I finally understand the human female meta...its just that they fit almost everything and look good in everything, but this isn't the case for most other races. 

Charr elementalist? Norn mesmer? Asura ranger? You can make them, but it doesn't quite fit. Seems like this game was designed with humans in mind as the centerpiece, the groundstone around which everything revolves. I might have deleted my old characters to reroll a human, but some of them have maxed crafting skills and I prefer not to do this all over again. Is there an option to transfer crafting skill to an alt in this game?

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 5

42 minutes ago, EpicName.4523 said:

Norn mesmer? 

My Norn mesmer is offended by this. I have a whole concept worked out for her as well. You see, you just have to use a bit more imagination. I do this before I create a character. There are some combinations that aren't obvious, but then you just have to think about their background where you can explain why they ended up in the profession. You don't have to follow the nornm, you can also play the exception and if it bothers you either don't play it...or think of a background story where it's explained how they ended up learning the skills they did.

• Like 9

If you regret it that much you can always reroll. Presumably you don’t want to delete your old char but you can buy a character slot and make a new one then fast level with tomes and/or crafting. 

For example, I have 2 chars of different races per profession. If one spec doesn’t look right to me on one race I have another to put it on. I also have different elite specs on each profession. 

and as to the suggestion that you can use a makeover kit, I did that on my female Norn warrior. I didn’t like the animations when she fought because she was leaning down to hit things. I used a makeover kit to make her shorter and it was a lot better. 

Edited by Just a flesh wound.3589
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Doggie.3184 said:

Yes, since skins are always tailored to fit humans and end up altered poorly or scaled incorrectly for other races.

Dunno about that. Definitely outfits tend to be tailored around the sylvari body shape. On humans, especially with butt and crotch flaps they tend to stand out on humans as well as if they were starched in that position, but yeah for other races it's much harder to find fitting armors.

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Gehenna.3625 said:

Dunno about that. Definitely outfits tend to be tailored around the sylvari body shape. On humans, especially with butt and crotch flaps they tend to stand out on humans as well as if they were starched in that position, but yeah for other races it's much harder to find fitting armors.

Absolutly not the male sylvari if you mean that. Buttcapes turn into wide umbrellas, weapons float far off your hips and shoulders balloon up. Gloves and boots often huge too.

Edited by Doggie.3184
  • Thanks 1

I don't understand why people think its so impossible doing fashion-war on other races. I have 6 charrs and i'm happy with how all of them look.

I guess to be fair i'm not a big fan of helmets or overly glowy/shiny stuff so maybe that's why. Charrs can pull grounded looks just fine though.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 2

5 minutes ago, Doggie.3184 said:

Then there ya go. All mine are male and Anet hates us Treebros.

Ugh, tell me about it...my poor main, a sylvari Daredevil (lots of trenchcoats and buttcapes), looks like someone shoved balloons under his coat-tails. Finding shoulder skins is nigh impossible without it completely obscuring his line of sight when he's holding a staff. Most gloves make his arms look like Popeye's, and I keep expecting him to trip out of his overly large boots at any second. I end up sticking to a few old standbys that don't look too terrible.

Same with my male sylvari necromancer, and it especially looks weird because he has a very broad, muscular build - so skirts--sorry, robes that poof out at the hips just make him look like a linebacker cosplaying as a ballerina.

Female sylvari, on the other hand, look fantastic. 😒 (Not that I mind, necessarily. My Mirage lady found a dress [Whisper's top and Arah skirt] that she absolutely rocks. If it is possible to be jealous of how a tree looks in a dress, I am indeed jealous.)

As for other race/profession combos, nah. I don't much regret mine, save that perhaps it's difficult to find non-skirt, non-robe, non-frilly things for my charr elementalist to wear. She's a soldier, not a socialite; she's not going to be wearing dresses (she'd trip on them every time she tries to run on all fours) or decorative, ornamental clothing. Vigil's, Runic Shaman, and Elegy sets are pretty good for achieving a slightly more armored (or at least practical) look.

- And on that note, I like the idea of a charr elementalist. How would a magic-user fit in with a bunch of people who distrust magic (and not without due reason, either)? It's a fun idea to think about. For that matter, with a bit of imagination you can easily fit any race to any profession. Maybe the asura ranger was ridiculed for their bond with their pets, so they decided to leave Rata Sum and strike out on their own, going somewhere to be with their pets and bond with nature in peace. Maybe the norn mesmer follows Raven, the trickster; or Snow Leopard, the silent hunter; and aspires to use their illusions and stealth to live up to their patron Spirit's teachings. It's not that much of a stretch.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I have been through this, I spent most of the betas trying out combinations of the professions, races and names I wanted to use, and I spend a lot of time planning out each permanent character I've made since then. Even so I have re-made some. I had a norn revenant with a Raven theme and remade him as a necromancer because I wanted him to use a staff (yes, eventually Nevermore) and discovered I don't like staff on revenant. 

For me it's a combination of planning and trial and error to get it right, but I'm the same in any game with a character creator so I don't think it's something Anet could fix. 

However I disagree completely that only certain combinations work. I think any race/gender/profession/elite spec combo can work, it's a matter of how you use the other factors, like the backstory you make up or the theme you use when designing how they look. For example I don't think it would make any sense for my norn engineer to be a holosmith, but that's because her backstory is that she learned engineering from the charr and chooses to focus on practical mechanics with a minimum of "flash". If I wanted a norn holosmith I'd just need a different back story. 

4 hours ago, EpicName.4523 said:

It is not only the way certain characters look, but also how the new elite specs totally change how they play. For example, they just announced the bladesworn elite for warriors. If you are a charr or human that is fine. But...I have a norn warrior that I imagined like a hulking barbarian, similarly to the one in Diablo. For a half-naked brute, it just looks silly to hold a tiny pistol in your off-hand. It just doesn't work thematically.

This is why I have 2 elementalists and 2 engineers, I like both the elite specs but they don't both fit my characters, so I made new ones. I get to play all the specs I enjoy and I get to explore more character concepts. 

I'm sort-of doing the same with thieves but my starting point for the second one was wanting to make a pirate, and deadeye is just the best fit for how I want to play them, rather than wanting a Deadeye and coming up with a theme for them.

• Like 1

Female Charr Revenant has been the best choice I made yet, especially with my renegade build. Super happy how it turned out.

My shirtless Hammer wielding Norn Warrior Slamicus Jamicus (may he rest in peace) I made for spvp back then felt fitting too.

Always torn on Asura or Charr for engineer cause both fit but I find it so hard to find really nice looking medium armor, its a pain sometimes.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, EpicName.4523 said:

For a half-naked brute, it just looks silly to hold a tiny pistol in your off-hand. It just doesn't work thematically.

I deleted an army of characters during the first months playing (and even beyond), sometimes losing some crafting levels, but that was the price to pay to find the combinations that worked for me.

4 hours ago, Griever.8150 said:

I love DE on my main Charr Thief but since its not meta in everything i made a Sylvari Thief to play Daredevil as i personally felt that a Charr doing Kung Fu looked stupid :p. Mostly Staff skills really.

Big cats are nimble, but charrs seem to lack the gene, a pity.

When in doubt, asura is the way to go, as you will look like you are intentionally funny.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, EpicName.4523 said:

I am the type of person who likes to have a bit everything, so I made one character of each profession and of every race. However, I cannot help but occasionally regret my choices. 

I believe I finally understand the human female meta...its just that they fit almost everything and look good in everything, but this isn't the case for most other races. 

Charr elementalist? Norn mesmer? Asura ranger? You can make them, but it doesn't quite fit. Seems like this game was designed with humans in mind as the centerpiece, the groundstone around which everything revolves. I might have deleted my old characters to reroll a human, but some of them have maxed crafting skills and I prefer not to do this all over again. Is there an option to transfer crafting skill to an alt in this game?

I apparently regretted it at one point (very depressed and inebriated), and I deleted everything in 2015. Went from 1 year behind, to 3 lol. I still don't know why, but I was so upset with myself, i stopped playing other than to log on daily for the rewards and LW episodes. 

• Like 2