Multiple Accounts and WvW

Svarty.8019

This post isn't complaining, it's explaining why WvW isn't balanced now and won't be balanced when World Restructuring happens.

Players can have multiple accounts.

Is your team getting beaten in this matchup? Want to try another matchup where your side is winning? Make a new account. Easy.

Is your server linked with one where the players tend to PPT more than you like? Switch to your other account and you can fight your former allies for easy wins because they don't have you on their side - making the matchup imbalanced.

Edited by Svarty.8019
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As someone who actually has multiple accounts, the grind to reach comparable levels of progression is a bit too onerous to justify exploiting this seriously. If the matchup on my main was outright broken, I'd play on my highest-rank alt account; however, I'd prefer to just play outnumbered most of the time.

• Like 4

You can just as easily say "Does WvW suck this week? Focus on your legendary grind" or "Does WvW suck this week? Go enjoy a refreshing game of Deathloop instead," though. Or, you know, "read a book," "take up exercise," "talk to your children."

People are always gonna modulate their play based on whether they're having fun or not.

Edited by ASP.8093
  • Like 3

While there are shengians that can be done with multiple accounts, I think what ASP said applies much more. Basically the majority of players will be Fairweather no matter what anyone says or does, if they're not having fun they leave. And since someone is always losing in wvw, yeah players will leave.

The solution to that would be to somehow motivate players to have fun while losing, and be motivated to get back into the action. And nope, the answer to that is not rewards...

• Like 2

Restructuring isn't promising completely balanced matches--nothing can do that in a game mode with so many variables.

The primary problem it wants to solve is one of numbers.  Right now, you can have your whole server show up and still lose simply because there are more enemies.  There's no point sticking around because, no matter how hard you try, you're just going to get overwhelmed and farmed.  After the change, that should happen far less often and only on a temporary basis throughout the week. 

It can't deliver perfection, but it can do much better than our current system.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dawdler.8521 said:

Well this is the primary reason that rewards should be based on playing WvW, not winning WvW, and why Anets later reward effort might kitten up WvW far, far more than alliances ever could. You cant stop it, but at least you can keep it pointless.

I'm just waiting on the complaint threads of players who are afking their legendary armor via WvW once the rewards are based on active play. That will be an interesting one to say the least.

@Svarty.8019

What @ASP.8093 said is very true. I know some WvW players who have multiple accounts which they actively play, and they will alter which account they play based on mostly where the best fights/content are/is. Most often caused by having a nothing going on on their main server or joining organized fights on their alt.

Edited by Cyninja.2954

The issue is that anet is assuming with their linking that people are playing as much on their accounts before the relink as afterwards. It is a problematic assumption as people can go to their alt-accounts or read a book instead of playing. The other alternative is that the players join again after they finished their books. The consequence are unbalanced server-combinations. The servers are either too full or too empty.

The big question is now whether there is another option. I thought about it for some time already and could not find any other convincing option. It is simply hard to predict future playing behaviour.

• Thanks 1

If you buy another full account (unless you only play core classes, which is unlikely) and you boost a new character to lvl80, and grind again from scratch to fully gear it with ascended/legendaries and infusions (since WvW is not plug and play at any level/gear like PvP) and then you grind again the warclaw track, and all ranks to be able to glide, use the warclaw properly, get the supply autoloot and all the other bonuses, then OK I respect that and you can do it.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

10 hours ago, Pacificterror.7805 said:

If those alts are free accounts, AFAIK they can't use things like mounts and gliders in WvW....which would suck for me, personally.

You can easily get a workable set of exotic gear by using the WvW vendors and the black market.  The black market is severely limited.  You can't buy runes or sigils but you can use the basic stat infusions, only a few basic armor types are available but you can use the stat infusions to even things out.

F2P necro might be the hardest without warclaw but most other classes it dosen't really matter when you know how to make a build with mobility.  And can always buy a upgrade key when they are cheap if you want to.

Hardest part of F2P is probably the grind to lv60 since WvW is locked to help stop the tryhards from cheating.

4 hours ago, displayname.8315 said:

You can easily get a workable set of exotic gear by using the WvW vendors and the black market.  The black market is severely limited.

Ah yes, the GW2 black market. Where you can buy GoBs under the counter, find cheap rares that may or may not contain any mithril and get shanked by a Quaggan with an eyepatch in a seedy backalley where you tried to get freshly channeled charged quartz crystals .

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Dawdler.8521 said:

Ah yes, the GW2 black market. Where you can buy GoBs under the counter, find cheap rares that may or may not contain any mithril and get shanked by a Quaggan with an eyepatch in a seedy backalley where you tried to get freshly channeled charged quartz crystals .

Black lion trader/company..

That sounds way better than a pop-up window.  Beautiful word picture 🥰

Edited by displayname.8315
Vocabulary

9 hours ago, displayname.8315 said:

When your server queues the map and still loses everything it's not a numbers problem.  The number of die on inc rallybots is the only one that matters when your whole server shows up.

I'm referring to when your whole server shows up and you're still down in numbers.  Such match-ups are possible now, but will not be then.

2 hours ago, Sviel.7493 said:

I'm referring to when your whole server shows up and you're still down in numbers.  Such match-ups are possible now, but will not be then.

There's still going to be timezone dominance to varying degrees, and no immediate plans to curate coverage when making the matches.

Fairweathering will still be a major factor in whether your team crumbles and becomes effectively empty.

If guilds get to make their own alliances, well we see how well that turns out now.  Safety in numbers.. taking a fight you might lose is bad strategy.. other art of war memes people use as an excuse.