roller beetle in wvw event, anyone?

Utomneian.9013

edit: so my current iteration of this idea is the last day of a 8 week seasonal match-up, access to roller beetle in controlled territories. this is not a race, it's just for messing around and gotta go fast sanic teh heghog.

so before you all throw tomatoes at me, hear me out. what if, for a limited time, like for a week or two, annually, there is a (nerfed version) roller beetle event. since a lot of wvw players are allegeric to pve, this can be just an automatic unlock, that shares the same mount up hotkey as the normal roller beetle, but otherwise will be both a temporary and separate mount from the pve beetle.

i think to make it less ridiculous, the max speed should be capped, and ideally, the min speed should be slightly raised (like when going uphill without the speed boost). i would also add a suggestion, to sort of try to reduce the likelihood of people just buzzing past enemy forces easily, that this version of the beetle should have greatly reduced health, like maybe as little as 2,500 health?

this is just an idea for some silly fun, i don't expect too many to sign off on this idea, but it would shake things up in a wild way once a year. otherwise, if you think a week or two is too long, maybe this could be like a once a month thing, from Thursday night until Friday reset? i mean, most people start getting casual the day before weekly reset anyway, so this would make it like a goof off day for everyone.

anyways, what do you all think?

Edited by Utomneian.9013
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 6
  • Sad 1

*Catches the single casually lobbed tomato*

@Utomneian.9013, Yes I think there should be a roller beetle mount, but I think that it should be limited to the regions you control, so like with the birds you would be forced off once you leave your territory. And, no there should not be a speed reduction. Yes there should be zerg bowling, we could use a larger variety of tactics that small groups can use against zergs.

• Like 2

I've asked for the beetle a few times, but this forum seems against it mostly like most suggestions apart from two equal sides crashing into each other on totally flat land. Beetle rolling is far more pleasant to travel with than other mounts and we could use a passenger one at that. The wingless griffon is probably the least pleasant to run around with, the speed would be fine if the animation and terrain negotiation and turning weren't slow sluggish and laboring for something with four legs.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

I guess it would be fun to turn the borderlands into a giant race track and maybe have a death race canon ball run type of thing like every 3 hours or something. Or turn smc into a demolishing derby arena, last one still on their beetle wins.

P.S to expand on the canon ball run race through the borderlands.

Have all three teams start at their nearest camps, so nc, swc, sec. 

The races goes in a clockwise or anticlockwise rotation, randomly selected when the race countdowns.

If you get dismounted you are disqualified.

Warclaws(cops) can participate with their spears, so if you get disqualified, mount up on the warclaw and go to town on the enemies.

The side with the most players finishing wins, bring your map blobs.

The winning prize is a cookie delivered through your mail.

Edited by Xenesis.6389
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, ArchonWing.9480 said:

Restrict it to Desert BL only, so nobody will complain.

Btw I want a water mount. 😞

Turn Desert into a combo of large bodies of water with some winding water ways for travel and then other parts kept mostly how it is right now for the beetle. 

I'd rather just have some open world stuff on the world maps to contribute at least partially, especially on reset nights. I don't see a good mount implementation happening contained in the WvW maps, especially since it would be in sever danger of being incomplete but forgotten for half a decade. 

• Like 2

*wonders where the tomato went

One problem with the idea is, that same rules would have to apply to everyone. So your cool idea of zerg bowling when in low numbers would, I assume in 9/10 cases, turn out to feel more like "a zerg of rollerbeetles rollering allover the map" since when one player can roller up and roll into a zerg, why shouldn't the zerg roller up and roll over the single player.

Beetles rollering down gates would make structures basically undefendable and defending stuff is part of WvW, at least on some servers/for some guild. Now you may say "but it would be fun, just like in PvE" you have answered your own question, why this would not fly for anyone interested in WvW.

I see that the maps, with the wide open spaces, the gentle slopes and all that would be perfect to casually roll around on this fun mount. But it's just not the place for it. WvW has other priorities, other definitions of fun. Stuff that works in PvE just might not fit into this game mode.

*casually lobs "super secret tech homing tomato" at the suggestion, hopes that it doesn't get disrupted by hungry bystanders again

Edited by lokh.2695

19 hours ago, Xenesis.6389 said:

I guess it would be fun to turn the borderlands into a giant race track and maybe have a death race canon ball run type of thing like every 3 hours or something. Or turn smc into a demolishing derby arena, last one still on their beetle wins.

P.S to expand on the canon ball run race through the borderlands.

Have all three teams start at their nearest camps, so nc, swc, sec. 

The races goes in a clockwise or anticlockwise rotation, randomly selected when the race countdowns.

If you get dismounted you are disqualified.

Warclaws(cops) can participate with their spears, so if you get disqualified, mount up on the warclaw and go to town on the enemies.

The side with the most players finishing wins, bring your map blobs.

The winning prize is a cookie delivered through your mail.

I dig it. Make it a new WvW map. Dismounts give you participation. Each member that crosses the finish line adds 1 to the war score and pips. Side with the most finishes gets a chest full of skirmish pips, liquid WvW experience, and reward track potions.

23 minutes ago, lokh.2695 said:

*wonders where the tomato went

I caught it.

23 minutes ago, lokh.2695 said:

One problem with the idea is, that same rules would have to apply to everyone. So your cool idea of zerg bowling when in low numbers would, I assume in 9/10 cases, turn out to feel more like "a zerg of rollerbeetles rollering allover the map" since when one player can roller up and roll into a zerg, why shouldn't the zerg roller up and roll over the single player.

Beetles rollering down gates would make structures basically undefendable and defending stuff is part of WvW, at least on some servers/for some guild. Now you may say "but it would be fun, just like in PvE" you have answered your own question, why this would not fly for anyone interested in WvW.

I see that the maps, with the wide open spaces, the gentle slopes and all that would be perfect to casually roll around on this fun mount. But it's just not the place for it. WvW has other priorities, other definitions of fun. Stuff that works in PvE just might not fit into this game mode.

*casually lobs "super secret tech homing tomato" at the suggestion, hopes that it doesn't get disrupted by hungry bystanders again

*Even more super secret tomato lobbing detection system intercepts the tomato*

If the beetle is added in I'd suspect that it would do damage with the dismount skill to gates, but no more than what the chain pull does now. And speed boosting into the gate would just damage it the same amount and dismount you.

I believe when I caught the first tomato that I stated that if the did add beetle then it would have to be restricted to owned territories like gliding is, so you wouldn't see beetle zerg vs beetle zerg clashing. That and if they are boosting by it would be unlikely that they'd stop for a few bystanders to stomp them.

As someone who plays WvW 97% of the time and only PvE play consists of doing the beetle race dailies, I love this idea.  I wouldn't mind seeing a week-long event where the other mounts are included as well, regardless of whether they allow for easy access to towers & keeps.  Right now WvW has become extremely stale with the current boonball meta.  Something like this to shake things up for a week would be extremely welcome imo.

On 9/16/2021 at 2:16 PM, ArchonWing.9480 said:

Restrict it to Desert BL only, so nobody will complain.

Btw I want a water mount. 😞

No.  Just no.  I would say if you're going to do something like this, make it accessible on ALL WvW maps.  And if you're going to restrict it to a specific map, make it Alpine BL.  As much as I love Desert BL, it's literally the WORST map for the beetle mount.  Too many cliffs and ravines to inhibit movement while on the beetle mount, and that's not including all the roots and shrubs that constantly trip players up and other random inclines/declines that result in dismount/insta-death.

9 minutes ago, Ronin.4501 said:

Too many cliffs and ravines to inhibit movement while on the beetle mount, and that's not including all the roots and shrubs that constantly trip players up and other random inclines/declines that result in dismount/insta-death.

You say it like that's a bad thing. Also those inclines of death need to be fixed, regardless of anything.

Back before mounts, I thought dune roller + windfall was funny. But that's just me.

Edited by ArchonWing.9480

OP here, i saw someone suggest a new WvW map that could be like an optional EotM sort of thing? this could be a fair compromise, though idk if Anet would invest into making a whole new map just for a roller beetle, is my only concern.

otherwise, i don't think having a one-off week once a year is that big of deal, or even like maybe the last day of a 8 week season for one silly day of roller beetling, but it seems like i have a lot of support for this idea, surprisingly, yet until i convince the hardcore WvWer's to at least tolerate the idea, i don't consider this a success.

• Like 1

On 9/22/2021 at 5:54 PM, Skynet.7201 said:

No.
No roller beetles.
We're not trying to gimmick WvW.
Make racetracks in your guild hall.
Don't gimmick our game mode.
🙄

i think you're stifling progress with that attitude, everything to some extent is a gimmick, even WvW in itself in the abstract of MMOs is. there's also a difference between having a roller beetle race in a guild hall, and then having the dynamic of dealing with high speed mounts in a pvp setting, and admittedly, too much of this could get old fast, but i think in small doses, like maybe the last day of each 8 week season, sounds like a reasonable compromise.

1 hour ago, Utomneian.9013 said:

i think you're stifling progress with that attitude, everything to some extent is a gimmick, even WvW in itself in the abstract of MMOs is. there's also a difference between having a roller beetle race in a guild hall, and then having the dynamic of dealing with high speed mounts in a pvp setting, and admittedly, too much of this could get old fast, but i think in small doses, like maybe the last day of each 8 week season, sounds like a reasonable compromise.

"Reasonable compromise?" To add a roller beetle race into WvW? If there's going to be these types of compromise, then let's go a step further.

Let's add PK to PvE then, since we're talking about mixing game modes and all. I'm sure all the PvE players wouldn't mind this on the last day of each 8 week season (which by the way, won't be around much longer). It sounds like a reasonable compromise.

I'm not stifling progress. And I'm not role playing with tomatoes. Adding more PvE to WvW is not progress. It's regression.

I think it could be fun to have all mounts available for a week event. Mix things ip. See how people get creative. Or, if you would perma put mounts in try this: these pve mounts only available at home base. You are on them as long as you can stay mounted. Upon dismount, you lose the mount. Only warclaw can remount anywhere. This way you can get a mount to get somewhere quickly, and that’s about it. Flying mounts should be shot down if they get too close to tower or keep. Mounts could be sitting at home base and you can pick them without having the mount unlocked, much like renting one.