The Catalyst (new Ele e-spec) is the specialization that rangers needed.

kappa.2036

I have a feeling they will be centered around the kurzicks in the echovald forest who worship their version of melandru. I forsee their skills being much more tied to greenery mixed with jade aspects. I could see them having f1-f4 skills that perform a pets main ability. I could see them having access to 3 pets but with a longer pet swap cd

1 hour ago, Ehecatl.9172 said:

On the plus side this increases the possibility of ranger hammer being a non-projectile long-ranged casting weapon rather than another melee tool. It'd be a bit samey to give two classes a melee hammer focused on control skills.

Not that they wouldn't do that, but still.

I’m really feeling like hammer will be melee. We already have 2 two-handed ranged weapons that cover both power and Condi, while only having 1 melee two-handed. Overall as well, we’ve had 3 melee primary weapons and 4 ranged. But I can be wrong, I’m sure there’s still a good way to implement another ranged weapon.

If this elite will be trying to bank off the Bunny Thumper build that everyone seems hyped about then it being a cc focused weapon wouldn’t be much of a surprise.

2 hours ago, FrownyClown.8402 said:

I have a feeling they will be centered around the kurzicks in the echovald forest who worship their version of melandru. I forsee their skills being much more tied to greenery mixed with jade aspects. I could see them having f1-f4 skills that perform a pets main ability. I could see them having access to 3 pets but with a longer pet swap cd

Personally really hoping it’s not just a “Base Ranger +” spec in that regard of having more pets. The difference between it and a base Ranger is so small, it would feel like such a waste of an elite spec. Base Ranger already focuses on the “fight side by side with a pet” idea and I would really hope for something more unique and different.

• Like 2

Oddly enough i would like to see a condi based hammer. Like sum oning spikes and roots for soft CC bleeds and then of course some defenses thrown in the mix too.

So far any hammer in game was power based, giving it a condi twist really could be interesting.

More AoE especially ranged AoE would be great for the utilities.

Lastly i just hope they dont kitten up the mechanic and the traits but otherwise i have high hopes for all specs so far.

Most of the specs delivered really seem to bring something great to the table.

16 hours ago, kappa.2036 said:

AoE Melee Damage,  "Spirit Animal"-Like AoE abilities.

Yup. This looks to be in the same ballpark of what I would have wanted, albeit the ranger take on it would be more nature-y.

I'm expecting the worst. Small radius attacks and a * shiver * AI focused mechanic.

Edited by Lazze.9870
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Lazze.9870 said:

Please don't.

Not after dagger.

Well it could be power based with decent access to cripple and maybe slow and the traits could possibly give to something akin to deadly chill on reaper so you apply poisonmor bleed on cripple etc.

Generally it could also be a soft CC centric hammermwhich also would be something new tbh.

Also dagger sucked because it was purely damage centric and did not had any decent utility outside of a spammable engage (which for some stupid reason lacks an evade still).

Edited by InsaneQR.7412
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, AlexndrTheGreat.8310 said:

Base Ranger already focuses on the “fight side by side with a pet” idea and I would really hope for something more unique and different.

The problem is, you cannot “fight side by side with a pet” effectively. 
elite specs has more skill, more weapon than core ranger. That means, if you want to play with pet, use core ranger with less options.
And pets have almost insignificant damage and rangers don't have skills for actively modify this. (Sic'em: multiply zero with anything is still zero...)

I hope we get an elite spec that can use the pet actively, not just a moving buff/cc tool

• Like 2

4 hours ago, InsaneQR.7412 said:

Also dagger sucked because it was purely damage centric and did not had any decent utility outside of a spammable engage (which for some stupid reason lacks an evade still).

I mean, wasn't it obvious that I refered to the condi part of it, and not how much it sucks in general?

4 hours ago, InsaneQR.7412 said:

Well it could be power based with decent access to cripple and maybe slow and the traits could possibly give to something akin to deadly chill on reaper so you apply poisonmor bleed on cripple etc.

Soft CC is fine and expected, hell no to copying the reaper trait. Hell no to any condition potential as far as I'm concerned. Druid has it, soulbeast has it. Just give it some pure power, decent CCs and no AI nonsense and we're good.

Edited by Lazze.9870

22 hours ago, enkeny.6937 said:

The problem is, you cannot “fight side by side with a pet” effectively. 
elite specs has more skill, more weapon than core ranger. That means, if you want to play with pet, use core ranger with less options.
And pets have almost insignificant damage and rangers don't have skills for actively modify this. (Sic'em: multiply zero with anything is still zero...)

I hope we get an elite spec that can use the pet actively, not just a moving buff/cc tool

I wonder, you do really think they're gonna give us a pet spec where the pet magically does more damage (somehow) without taking it away from the ranger itself?

And if so, where the hell is the fun in that? Considering the crappy AI this game got.

Edited by Lazze.9870
  • Like 1

Hammer is coming for the ranger, not that I dislike the idea of a melee-ish blunt weapon for this round  of spec.

I am really afraid about the current situation thou. The three medium specs have been singled out for the last and that’s is giving me the impression those are in the most immature condition.

So after seeing the mechanics power creep I don’t know what the ranger can get to compete in the same ballpark. At this point to compete with the catalist, bladeworn or vindicator the new ranger spec would need celestial pets, the ability to permanently transform in a juggernaut and the skills to create ranged  denial AoEs where invulnerable is applied to allies in the area, or enemies can NOT receive boons  or healing or pretty strong effects alike. 

Edited by anduriell.6280
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, kharmin.7683 said:

Holding out hope that hammer on elementalist means no hammer on ranger. 

What?

EoD: Warrior and Necromancer get Pistols.

PoF:  Warrior and Ranger got Daggers, Engineer and Elementalist got Swords, and Mesmer and Guardian got Axes.

HoT: Revenant and Mesmer both got Shields and Ranger and Thief both got Staves.

One profession getting a weapon has never discounted it appearing on another.  Considering half of the suspected weapons turned out correct, we can safely say Ranger is getting Hammer.

Its is also so far the only profession that will share weapons all three expansions.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

22 hours ago, Lazze.9870 said:

I wonder, you do really think they're gonna give us a pet spec where the pet magically does more damage (somehow) without taking it away from the ranger itself?

And if so, where the hell is the fun in that? Considering the crappy AI this game got.

Not necessary the pet do more damage, but through the pet, like in gw1 Brutal Strike, Melandru's Assault or Scavenger Strike
(and give us a heal skill that revive our pets)

On 9/17/2021 at 10:12 AM, FrownyClown.8402 said:

If it's Kurzick-themed, it might end up using amber rather than jade, despite jade being the colour match.

Guessing it will be well focused, with pet mechanic being infusing your weapon with it or something. 

I'm not sure what else they really can do with the pet at this point as we have two specs that use it as companion (core / druid) and one that can 'absorb' it (soulbeast).  Given that this spec is going to almost certainly be melee / support oriented, they have to ditch the pet somehow.

I guess that's the most aggravating thing about this wait is seeing what they do with the pet, as that will literally make or break the spec.  

22 hours ago, enkeny.6937 said:

Not necessary the pet do more damage, but through the pet, like in gw1 Brutal Strike, Melandru's Assault or Scavenger Strike

And how is that fun in any way? And how does it interact with a pet that can hardly hit moving targets?

It worked in GW1 because combat was much more stationairy.

Edited by Lazze.9870