A big thank you for DX11, and a few questions [Merged]

Today's DX11 post by James Fulop was interesting and informative.  I'm looking forward to the DZ11 renderer and had a few questions;

1. Can we get updated minimum and recommended system requirements?  What % increase in fps are you guys seeing internally with the DX11 renderer?

2. Any recommended external settings (ie: driver, OS) that could or should be changed to help or enhance gw2 under DX11?

3. This goes into effect on 9/21, but does it end like other betas (skill test events) or does it just go from beta to stable (like say the 64 bit client did) without taking it out of the game.

4. Any specific timeline or date for the DX9 renderer expiration?

Thanks again!

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

Only thing I need to do now is to reinstall Reshade and pick the DX11 renderer. Reshade makes GW2 look so good even inject fake HDR since this game will probably never have real HDR. 😀. I wonder now if we can enable ultra shadows and have no stutter with DX11? I have a pretty good PC: 5950x/RTX 3070/32GB RAM/1080p 360hz HDR panel, and still have a bit of stutter with shadows on ultra especially in Verdant Brink, where when I enable ultra the FPS can drop more than 20 FPS in some areas. When it's on high it's smooth. I think by now after 9yrs we all should have the settings at the highest 😁

Edited by Tony.8659
  • Sad 1

I'm not a dev but I would say that the EOD system requirements listed include DX11 support. Most low-midrange GPUs from the last decade (2012+) are DX12 capable which in turn means they are also DX11 capable.

https://help.guildwars2.com/hc/en-us/articles/201862958-Minimum-System-Requirements
Nvidia Geforce GTS 250 is DX11 capable and so is AMD Radeon HD5770
Not that anyone should want to play on IGPUs but the Intel Iris 600 series on ultrabook CPUs also is DX11 capable since those are since 2016

The post suggests DX9 will be deprecated : Eventually the DirectX9 renderer will be deprecated then removed as the new renderer becomes stable.

• Like 1

My system, for the past 2 years (at least) has been using DX11/12 (through Win 10). Fortunately, the DX series IS backward compatible. Currently, I'm upgrading to Win 11, and do not expect to see any adverse effects (as of today, at least!!). So, to me, while I "might" see an increase in frame-rate (I'm currently system set at 144 fps and routinely can get 80~fps in GW2), I don't expect to see any ***WOW*** factors with the upgrade to DX11 (in GW2). That being said, ANY upgrade to an "older" os (even in a game) is an applaudable achievement!!!! HOORAW!!!!! I look forward to seeing how the beta impacts gameplay, and look forward to commenting on the change (IF I even manage to notice!!!)

• Confused 1

Since ray tracing is newer than DX11 and closely related to the upgrade to DX12, I have NO expectation of seeing THIS "enhancement" in GW2 in ANY reasonable timeframe!! And I question whether or not "ray tracing" would have ANY positive impact on gameplay in GW2----------considering the "age" of the game architecture. This game, after all, was created almost a decade ago, a FULL lifetime in computer/software architecture generations!!

The DX software is a Microsoft additive to the Windows OS-- anything earlier than Win 10 has (at best) DX9 --Win 10, AS CURRENTLY configured has DX11 installed. All of the DX modules are BACKWARD compliant, so DX 11 can easily deal with ANY prior version. DX 12 is available on the new Windows 11 OS--------and again, is COMPLETELY backwards-compliant, so NO player should have ANY issues related to this module (regardless of which iteration their system includes), It should be noted that Microsoft has ROUTINELY updated (through the "settings" module) the DX configuration as appropriate to the user's Windows version.

6 hours ago, Razor.6392 said:

does anyone know if we have to uninstall the DX12 mod?

The author of dx912pxy has publicly announced that development of the mod will cease (no longer supported).

https://www.patreon.com/posts/journey-end-for-55473062

It has done a marvellous job of bridging the gap, considering the constraints of dx9, and showing that the upgrade from dx9 is needed.

Of greater interest is the future development of other permitted mods that hook into dx9 to deliver their functionality.

Edited by Charybdis.9042
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

It's a shame that they decided to go the DX route rather than Vulkan. I think we're on the cusp of a new era in multiplatform PC gaming, what with the advent of the Steamdeck, which is probably going to increase the amount of gamers and developers using Linux.

DX locks you in to Windows, whereas Vulkan allows portability across Windows, Linux and Mac OS.

I've been seriously considering migrating my home PC to Linux recently, as there's a few things about the upcoming Windows 11 I find off-putting, and my work laptop runs Ubuntu.

ANet sticking with DX means that at the very least, I'll probably have to keep Windows on a separate boot partition.

It seems that the game is somewhat playable using Proton, but the reported problems are enough for me to err on the side of caution.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

9 hours ago, undouble.1472 said:

The DX software is a Microsoft additive to the Windows OS-- anything earlier than Win 10 has (at best) DX9 --Win 10, AS CURRENTLY configured has DX11 installed. All of the DX modules are BACKWARD compliant, so DX 11 can easily deal with ANY prior version. DX 12 is available on the new Windows 11 OS--------and again, is COMPLETELY backwards-compliant, so NO player should have ANY issues related to this module (regardless of which iteration their system includes), It should be noted that Microsoft has ROUTINELY updated (through the "settings" module) the DX configuration as appropriate to the user's Windows version.

You might want to doublecheck your info, because you've got the DX numbers (and associated Windows versions) completely wrong.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Dawdler.8521 said:

My only question would be...

"Upgrading to DirectX11 is the first step toward being able to do more shiny things."

I hope that means they're able to unkitten the broken dark interior lighting they introduced in the last patch.

And im over here wanting ways to actually tone the games shinyness down to the bugged levels without resorting to outside stuff >.>

Game burns my eyeballs in some places, even with my monitor at 5% brightness its obnoxious.

• Like 4

I have a question directed at the devs:

Will the DX11 Update (the full thing, not the beta) provide additional graphical options such as...

• Luma Sharpening (as the game looks quite blurry without it)?
  • a Gamma regulator?
  • the separation of Post-Processing Effects and Character/Object Outlines?

It's nice to have ReShade, but I'd rather have some in-game options for those things. It would make for a much smoother game experience than having to use a 3rd party tool (and especially P-P and Outlines cannot be regulated via overlay).

Edited by Ashantara.8731
  • Like 1

• Forum Moderator.3419 changed the title to A big thank you for DX11, and a few questions [Merged]

I'd like to know once D3D11 goes live, if D3D9 will remain as an option or be removed. I'd still like to use D3D9 for performance testing on older systems plus compatibility with the D3D12 wrapper. Until I see otherwise, I'm expecting wrapped D3D12 to still outperform D3D11 on my current rig, even after multithreading changes are added.

6 hours ago, Mungrul.9358 said:

It's a shame that they decided to go the DX route rather than Vulkan. I think we're on the cusp of a new era in multiplatform PC gaming, what with the advent of the Steamdeck, which is probably going to increase the amount of gamers and developers using Linux.

DX locks you in to Windows, whereas Vulkan allows portability across Windows, Linux and Mac OS.

I've been seriously considering migrating my home PC to Linux recently, as there's a few things about the upcoming Windows 11 I find off-putting, and my work laptop runs Ubuntu.

ANet sticking with DX means that at the very least, I'll probably have to keep Windows on a separate boot partition.

It seems that the game is somewhat playable using Proton, but the reported problems are enough for me to err on the side of caution.

it's not enough just to put the vulkan api, even if you chose it would still not work on linux, because the game is compiled for windows and macos

31 minutes ago, tItOtRiip.2469 said:

A bit sad, that is DX11, DX12 its on Windows 7...

wrong, dx12 starts on windows 10

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1