Will Return to LW be doable later?

Gibson.4036

I was doing a bunch of other things and didn’t really pay much attention to the return to living world when it started. Partly because I returned after a long break from the game and still hadn’t done some of the LW the first time.

When we got to LW4 and I realized tier three awarded the 250 zone currency, my son and I started doing it so he could get those for his skyscale.

It seems like each chapter has a few events that take a group to do. Easy to get while everyone’s doing the current chapter, but what about down the road?

Some of these events were regularly done as part of the meta before return to LW, so I expect those will always be doable. Some achievements, though, are for champs or events I had no idea even existed after playing through the zones.

Will it be possible to go back and get LW2 and 3 totally complete at this point? What about for future players that arrive with EOD?

• Confused 1

It should be fairly easy to do at any time. Things like bounties and events scale to the number of people so doimg it the two of you should be ok. Meta events like Palawadan and Shatterer need a lot more players but those are regularly done by the community so it should be easy enough to find people doing it at some point during the day.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Super Hayes.6890 said:

I focus on the achieves that will be harder later with lower population. I do the story steps last. That way, if I fall behind, it will be easier to catch up.

This so much.  I was keeping up, but now I'm 4 episodes behind.  I took care of everything but gathering, actual story missions, and hearts.  So it's no big deal to fall behind.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Super Hayes.6890 said:

I focus on the achieves that will be harder later with lower population. I do the story steps last. That way, if I fall behind, it will be easier to catch up.

This is what I've been doing as well. I've been trying to get the bounties, the specific group events in the achievements. It'll be easy to come back and do the story, gathering, and hearts later.

But it got me thinking. Like in the current one, does anyone do the Legendary Djinn Vemyen normally? Easy to get this week, but will it be really hard to find a group to do it in a month or a year?

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Gibson.4036 said:

This is what I've been doing as well. I've been trying to get the bounties, the specific group events in the achievements. It'll be easy to come back and do the story, gathering, and hearts later.

But it got me thinking. Like in the current one, does anyone do the Legendary Djinn Vemyen normally? Easy to get this week, but will it be really hard to find a group to do it in a month or a year?

I would strongly advise to get it done now, as its a lenghty event, and you need a decent number of people

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Super Hayes.6890 said:

Yep! This!

With EOD, you may have a hard time for a few months to do anything in old maps. If you're lucky, people may still run them once and a while. But, I'd just log in and do stuff like the map meta and bounties while everyone is on them. With the amount of people doing them now and abundance of commanders, you probably can do the big things within 30 minutes.

I leave the story chapters (I just got through them not long ago), gathering, etc. until later.

• Like 2

I spend the majority of my time playing older content, including completing achievements and meta events on LS maps which require a group. It absolutely can be done, but it might take a bit more planning. 

You may not be able to rely on there always being enough people (and especially not enough people who know what to do) to finish an event each time it comes up, so you'll need to find or organise a group. 

Depending on what it is that ranges from waiting until the LW dailies are for that map so it will be busier to finding out when a guild does regular, organised runs in your region to organising one yourself. That last one is the most complicated of course, but it's still not difficult, it just takes a bit of time and talking. You find out when the event is going to start or how to trigger it, then about 10 minutes before that start a group in LFG and post in map chat and your guilds, asking people to join you. Saying its for an achievement helps, especially in guild chat because people will come to help you get it even if they don't need it themselves. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, LucianDK.8615 said:

I would strongly advise to get it done now, as its a lenghty event, and you need a decent number of people

We totally did, I was bringing it up as an example. I don't know at this point how many or what kind of equivalent events there are in LW2 and LW3. Also, what it will be like for people a year from now trying to get that Djinn. It was a pretty cool event, with the interaction between the two Djinn and how the branded one jumps from mesa to mesa during the event and players have to give chase (considerably easier on skyscale, but players on springer and raptor are able to still do the event).

1 hour ago, Danikat.8537 said:

I spend the majority of my time playing older content, including completing achievements and meta events on LS maps which require a group. It absolutely can be done, but it might take a bit more planning. 

You may not be able to rely on there always being enough people (and especially not enough people who know what to do) to finish an event each time it comes up, so you'll need to find or organise a group. 

Depending on what it is that ranges from waiting until the LW dailies are for that map so it will be busier to finding out when a guild does regular, organised runs in your region to organising one yourself. That last one is the most complicated of course, but it's still not difficult, it just takes a bit of time and talking. You find out when the event is going to start or how to trigger it, then about 10 minutes before that start a group in LFG and post in map chat and your guilds, asking people to join you. Saying its for an achievement helps, especially in guild chat because people will come to help you get it even if they don't need it themselves. 

That's a great reminder, thanks. I tend to have a some anxiety taking lead like that. Even after reading the wiki page on the event, I know it's not the same as actually being familiar with it, and I get anxious that creating the LFG group and triggering the event will lead others to assume I know what I'm doing. It's my introvert nature, I guess. But I know it's something I need to work against and just go in and try.

Your post gives me hope that it is still possible to go back and take care of LW2 and 3! And that future players will still be able to do it as well. They'll have the advantage of getting many of the achievements just playing through the story the first time, rather than having to rerun the instances.

On 9/17/2021 at 8:14 AM, Danikat.8537 said:

So, I was happy to discover tonight that you're totally right.

I know Silverwastes and Dry Top regularly have people, so I skipped past those, and chose to check out Bloodstone Fen. I went and hung out near the Collosseum of the Faithful until the event started up, and let people know in chat it was up. Soon enough we had the people to take down the Ghostly Justiciar. Repeat in the Cavern of Unseen Lights, and there were plenty of people to fight the Unbound Guardian.

People were asking about the Guardian in chat, so there are still folks working on the previous LW achievements.

I saw Doric was today's LW3 daily, so I headed over there and got to do the Centaur Sage twice due to helpful commanders in map.

Still seems like it would be wise to try and get all the group events knocked out before February 2022, but for the moment they seem totally doable.

Edited by Gibson.4036
  • Like 1

I'd like to add to other comments in this thread: Make sure you're in a guild if you intend to do content later. While its possible to sometimes find players on LFG for some of the more rare events, its much, much easier to just have a guild since the help you receive tends to be much more personal.

It makes a big difference in some of the harder content where PUGs just give up and abandon you.

Also, the most important thing to get out of the way is jump puzzles, especially the ones from LS3. Make sure you have some Teleport to Friends handy, join the relevant maps, click any tag present at the JP and select Join (will usually also be listed in LFG), then teleport to the Commander. Its also common courtesy to send a tip afterwards since these achievements are considerably difficult and time consuming otherwise.

Ember Bay can't be done this way. Its the absolute highest priority, because you have to wait for a Mesmer train to port you between all the checkpoints (takes up to half an hour). These stopped appearing a few months after release and will likely disappear again soon.

The players on the LS3 and LS4 maps will never completely dry up however because of Aurora and Vision, which there will always be dozens of players trying to obtain. The main dry content is PoF, because the maps offer basically nothing beyond Griffon and the occasional dailies. So with Living World you're probably safe (mostly).

I do expect Strike Missions in IBS to be a problem, though.

Edited by Hannelore.8153
  • Like 1

All right, so I think I've finished off the last of the achievements (until the new chapter today) that require a group to do. Well, with the exception of the greater nightmare pod, but it's easy to find a RIBA farm to get that one.

So, at this point it took me a little under a week to hit all of the group-needed return to LW achievements currently unlocked. There were people still doing a great deal of it.

I can say, by far, that the most difficult was getting the Domain of Istan bounties, even with Istan being the daily zone last night. It seems that people are very focused on the Istan meta and "brandstone farm" by looking at the LFG. It was challenging to find or gather a bounty group.  Oddly, I finally found a group at 7am Eastern time (I'm on an NA server). Perhaps people do bounties at off-times because there aren't enough to do the meta?

Also, two of them were among the most annoying bounties I've experienced. Suneh Stormbringer on a small shelf inside Modri Caverns meant a ton of lightning AoE and adds in a confined area.

By far the worst, though, is Smoldge, a legendary tar elemental that spawned in one of the tar craters. Smodge had flash freeze, so there were repeated shockwaves, and dropped a ton of AOE circles. In that steep-sided crater it was almost impossible to avoid them.

Thanks again to everyone for the advice and encouragement.

• Thanks 1

On 9/22/2021 at 3:29 PM, aspirine.6852 said:

Seeing the thunderhead peak maps being this dead a day after release.... Better do that one fast 🙂

Really? Maybe just that easy to get done? Or too many other distractions with the WvW bonus and espec beta?

my son and I made sure to do all the group stuff Tuesday night and it was hopping. I’m surprised it’s empty already. Bet it’ll pick up again this weekend.

It’s probably my least favorite season 4 map. North meta was kind of a mess of light and crazy. Very hard to tell what we were even supposed to be doing. One player commented that it was brilliant of ANet to coincide the dx11 trial with the return event taking us to such a visual mess of an event.

On 9/21/2021 at 6:10 PM, Aaralyna.3104 said:

If you ever get stuck on some achievement missing people you can always organise it via either guild, forum, friend list, discord groups. Popping something in LFG helps a lot too. There will always be players missing things.

This has worked on everything in my experience except bounties in Istan. Players seemed too focused on the meta and some sort of brand stone farm. Few responded to an lfg for bounties during NA prime time.

I always find it best to do the group aspects of releases as maps tend to die off as players have completed what they wanted and move on. Those trying to do the Griffon and anything that requires Serpent’s Ire can attest to this. While it’s still technically possible to do those today, it just requires significantly more effort. 

• Like 2

On 9/16/2021 at 9:37 PM, Gibson.4036 said:

IME, the trick is to activate it yourself, put up a tag, and call it out (useful keywords: "for the achievement" and "event chain") in map chat. Doing it on a day when that map is the Daily Season 4 rewards map will also probably help a bit. Some people like to help, some people will realize "Hey, I need that one, too," and some people just automatically follow any tag because they love group content or want more loot.

Edited by ASP.8093
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/23/2021 at 10:50 PM, Gibson.4036 said:

This has worked on everything in my experience except bounties in Istan. Players seemed too focused on the meta and some sort of brand stone farm. Few responded to an lfg for bounties during NA prime time.

This may be because bounties there are (unless they fixed it now)  bugged from achievements. Same for the ships achievement there. And its bugged for years...

• Confused 1

On 10/7/2021 at 3:20 PM, Aaralyna.3104 said:

This may be because bounties there are (unless they fixed it now)  bugged from achievements. Same for the ships achievement there. And its bugged for years...

Not sure what you mean by bugged. I got them all done for the return to istan achivements. I do recall the board taking a while to repopulate though and it only has one board. The other lw4 maps have more boards and bounties so it felt allot faster and more fun on the other maps. At least that was my experience/impression.

On 10/9/2021 at 8:42 PM, Moradorin.6217 said:

Not sure what you mean by bugged. I got them all done for the return to istan achivements.

They did work for the Return to Istan achievements, but were not working for the original LS3 ones. Now that bug is fixed... except for that one bounty (Lady Shamshir) that can be spawned only once on each map instance (because she doesn't seem to have a respawn timer).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/17/2021 at 8:54 AM, Gibson.4036 said:

We totally did, I was bringing it up as an example. I don't know at this point how many or what kind of equivalent events there are in LW2 and LW3. Also, what it will be like for people a year from now trying to get that Djinn. It was a pretty cool event, with the interaction between the two Djinn and how the branded one jumps from mesa to mesa during the event and players have to give chase (considerably easier on skyscale, but players on springer and raptor are able to still do the event).

That's a great reminder, thanks. I tend to have a some anxiety taking lead like that. Even after reading the wiki page on the event, I know it's not the same as actually being familiar with it, and I get anxious that creating the LFG group and triggering the event will lead others to assume I know what I'm doing. It's my introvert nature, I guess. But I know it's something I need to work against and just go in and try.

Your post gives me hope that it is still possible to go back and take care of LW2 and 3! And that future players will still be able to do it as well. They'll have the advantage of getting many of the achievements just playing through the story the first time, rather than having to rerun the instances.

I am not guaranteeing that this will always be the case in the future, but as for Vemyen-

i got a group available to do it before the appropriate ‘return to ____’ came up because it is required for the Requiem armor (which is a super boss armor, tbh, one of my favorite heavy sets of all time)

so, there is at least one other reason to do Vemyen stuff aside from the season of the dragons

• Like 2

I too just came back to game about 1 month ago after a 6 month hiatus. Rammed through all 16 maps in 3 weeks (don't recommend) with my favourite 'Ace up the Sleeve' card:

Commander tag - I never use this in WvW but for getting a group together in maps it never fails. For harder content I advertise on LFG as the tag as well. I've never not got a response.

• Like 3