[Unpopular opinion] Stronghold as a seperate unranked and ranked PvP mode!

Profanity.6829

Like the title claims, my opinion is probably a very unpopular one, but maybe I'm wrong... Just made this to hear what other people think about Stronghold.

I LOVE stronghold with the moba PvP-style and NO! I don't want to play LoL/HotS/whatever, because i can't stand this whole mouseclick-to-move garbage. I want to be in the action and having direct (keyboard) control.

Let me get this straight, I think the current 2-lane design is not done very well, but what if:

1. They updated the current Stronghold map to a better 3-lane map
  2. Add 2/3 other Stronghold maps
  3. Maybe make it a 8v8 or 10v10 player mode (whatever is balanced and works well with the mapsizes)
  4. Make Stronghold a seperate game mode with a ranked and unranked mode. Just like conquest. Meaning you don't HAVE to play it 😄

I think this could be a awesome competitive environment and the haters/dislikers could still choose to not play it. Maybe this will even attract a broader PvP scene? 

I don't think this is even that time consuming to implement? You already have all the techniques in the game and in current Stronghold, like summoning bosses/anti fortress bots/anti guard bots. Adding some NPC camps that you can defeat and have fight for you is already in WvW... I mean, you have everything there? Most time would go in adding good designed maps (Should be easy to get some map design inspiration from all the moba's out there) and then testing?

Ill probably get burned for even mentioning this, but ah well... 😅 

Edited by Profanity.6829
  • Like 3

I accidentally played Stronghold for one time when i was already platin in conquest (so i knew a bit about fighting). When i played this stronghold match i expected to somehow be a bit tactical like ambushes and pushing lanes and stuff but instead the enemy team basically just ran with 5 person directly into our base, killed everyone and everything and the game was over like in 5 min.

Its not that my team was necessarly bad but it seems like in stronghold you can abuse certain meta comps even harder than in conquest. 

Anyways that one match might be an exception but it clearly showed me that stronghold is very prone to be exploited and it was everything but not tactical at all.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Yakuzai.6593 said:

I accidentally played Stronghold for one time when i was already platin in conquest (so i knew a bit about fighting). When i played this stronghold match i expected to somehow be a bit tactical like ambushes and pushing lanes and stuff but instead the enemy team basically just ran with 5 person directly into our base, killed everyone and everything and the game was over like in 5 min.

Its not that my team was necessarly bad but it seems like in stronghold you can abuse certain meta comps even harder than in conquest. 

Anyways that one match might be an exception but it clearly showed me that stronghold is very prone to be exploited and it was everything but not tactical at all.

Thats just how you Play the game mode, at least it's the best way to do it

17 hours ago, Yakuzai.6593 said:

Liar people cannot destroy the walls thats impossible, they have to have won mid gotten all the supplies and a ton of door breakers and run through you guys for 5mins w/o you guys attempting to defend the entire time, or destroying the door breakers.

Lmao wow why did you lie about something so benign?

Edited by Genesis.5169
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Genesis.5169 said:

Liar people cannot destroy the walls thats impossible, they have to have won mid gotten all the supplies and a ton of door breakers and run through you guys for 5mins w/o you guys attempting to defend the entire time, or destroying the door breakers.

Lmao wow why did you lie about something so benign?

They can yolo push with just the 5 supply each team starts the match and win the game very quickly if they succeed. But this only really works when teams are heavily imbalanced i.e. experienced premade against new pugs which does happen quite a bit as stronghold population is quite low. Its an easy strategy to counter as defenders have the advantage with npc guard support which can1 shot the doorbreakers completely ending the rush and contribute enough damage to attacking players to swing an otherwise balanced fight, not to mention doorbreakers just aren't very durable even if protected from guards and need to be kept alive for this strategy to succeed. Additionally every attacker that dies in enemy base drops two suply enabling a very nasty counterattack from the defenders who have already made decent progress by sending out a few archers at the start to passively work their way through the unguarded base.

Back to original topic, I can't imagine stronghold getting a full length season but I really hope it gets added to the mini season rotation instead of just 2v2/3v3. The game mode is much better than people give it credit for but the population is too low to really learn proper strategy.

• Like 2

What we need is a Stronghold mini season.

For all its faults, its a better game mode than 2v2 and 3v3. And to some extent possible to balance without affecting Conquest.

Although the best way would always have been to have it as a separate game mode where you pick from preset mist champions with pre-existing builds and skills balanced around the game mode (think Caithe transform during the story missions in LW2).