Jump to content
  • Sign Up

Was Joko Right?


Recommended Posts

I popped into my GW2 account for 10 minutes and helped steal the mystic lunch money from an energy being, put the beat down on some grawl because they got in the way and took down 10 krait because I have a daily quota on them. We're supposed to be playing the hero; right?

Edited by Tekoneiric.6817
  • Like 3
  • Haha 16
  • Confused 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I popped into my GW2 account for 10 minutes and helped steal the mystic lunch money from an energy being, put the beat down on some grawl because they got in the way and took down 10 krait because I h

Yep pretty much.  We've collectively completed full, extinction-level genocide many times over for each species. 'Tis the nature of MMORPGs to be genocidal maniacs, viewing the world as being pop

We eat Choya pulp in front of a Choya chieftain, tell the tortured Druids of Draconis Mons that their pain is 'fascinating', and routinely refer to species like the Grawl and Skritt as 'lesser races'.

The anomaly isnt' a sentient being but a creature made of excess magic. It shouldn't exist at all, and it's dangerous and has to be put down.  Krait are slavers and just evil in general. We've never met a friendly krait. The grawl attack you if you go near them, and you defend yourself.  There are areas of this game where your good status could be questions but none of the examples you've furnished are that type of thing.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Yep pretty much.  We've collectively completed full, extinction-level genocide many times over for each species.

'Tis the nature of MMORPGs to be genocidal maniacs, viewing the world as being populated by many different shapes of loot bags.   Sometimes those loot bags growl, squeak, or talk; we don't hear it over the sound of inventory filling up.

 

Edit: Except dungeons.  We let those guys live unless they work in management.  Then we kill them.

Edited by Rogue.8235
  • Haha 13
Link to post
Share on other sites

I always thought we weren't the main character in the story.  First Trahearn go the legendary sword, and fulfilled his destiny.  Now Caithe Is Aurine's champion, not us.  To me it is refreshing to not be THE chosen ONE.  Sure we are heroes, but we also go around helping in local relief efforts and running errands.  I think we are Chosen One adjacent.  

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Vayne.8563 said:

The anomaly isnt' a sentient being but a creature made of excess magic. It shouldn't exist at all, and it's dangerous and has to be put down.  Krait are slavers and just evil in general. We've never met a friendly krait. The grawl attack you if you go near them, and you defend yourself.  There are areas of this game where your good status could be questions but none of the examples you've furnished are that type of thing.

Lol, you got a confused face on a very clear, and well articulated post, so you upset someone, lol.

  • Like 2
  • Confused 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Vayne.8563 said:

The anomaly isnt' a sentient being but a creature made of excess magic. It shouldn't exist at all, and it's dangerous and has to be put down.  Krait are slavers and just evil in general. We've never met a friendly krait.

tbh, this one is an interesting point. Are krait inherently evil? Have me ever made an attempt to make an alliance with them?

16 hours ago, Vayne.8563 said:

The grawl attack you if you go near them, and you defend yourself.  There are areas of this game where your good status could be questions but none of the examples you've furnished are that type of thing.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, yann.1946 said:

tbh, this one is an interesting point. Are krait inherently evil? Have me ever made an attempt to make an alliance with them?

 

I think the krait are inherently evil. We've seen grawl tribes that are good. We've seen ogre tribes that are allies. But there's no green krait in the entire game. They're known slavers. They've never been used in story in any way but as villains. If there is a krait out there that's good, I haven't seen him/her.

Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Vayne.8563 said:

I think the krait are inherently evil.

This is not the same thing as the things you say next.

50 minutes ago, Vayne.8563 said:

We've seen grawl tribes that are good. We've seen ogre tribes that are allies. But there's no green krait in the entire game. They're known slavers. They've never been used in story in any way but as villains. If there is a krait out there that's good, I haven't seen him/her.

That only tells us the writers havent made us interact with friendly krait. 

I agree the story thus far has used the krait only as foil to show evilness, but that does not answer the question of whether they are inherently so.

 

THis is in contrast to all the corrupted creatures we fight (branded, destroyers etc.) as their their aligment is directly correlated to their "overlord" as they are extension of themselves.

  • Like 1
  • Confused 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, yann.1946 said:

This is not the same thing as the things you say next.

That only tells us the writers havent made us interact with friendly krait. 

I agree the story thus far has used the krait only as foil to show evilness, but that does not answer the question of whether they are inherently so.

 

THis is in contrast to all the corrupted creatures we fight (branded, destroyers etc.) as their their aligment is directly correlated to their "overlord" as they are extension of themselves.

From the wiki:

 

Originally from the Unending Ocean, the krait rival even the charr for viciousness and cruel ingenuity. These intelligent creatures are vicious and xenophobic, attacking and enslaving all other species on sight.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Gehenna.3625 said:

But is it really genocide if they respawn every time you kill them?

 

Good point.  We're practicing population control methods for species that would overpopulate the continent to the point of irreversible, ecosystem-wide, catastrophic damage.

Moral dilemma solved with this fact right here.  They respawn so fast.

😇

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Vayne.8563 said:

the krait rival even the charr for viciousness and cruel ingenuity.

Okay, and then there's Tybalt Leftpaw and the entire Olmakhan culture.

This is more a case of ArenaNet writing entire species/factions as monoliths and then later trying to make them relatable either as a whole or by introducing individuals that vibe with the main cast. Nightmare Court's got Gavin. Sons of Svanir have Rojan. The Humans who slaughtered their way to power and (twice) used twisted magic to destroy their own people/nations have the player character, Queen Jennah, and about 80% of the NPCs we've met as examples of their moral variance and depth.

If we accept that sentient races are comprised of individuals, it's kind of silly to be like 'but the Krait are all evil, no exceptions' when even the Sylvari Firstborn were like 'aw look at these baby Krait, it would be wrong to kill them just because they're Krait.' The disagreement between the First and Secondborn Sylvari about the baby Krait led to the creation of the Nightmare Court - that's how heated the argument got.

But this is all way more in-depth philosophy than the OP intended which was more a simple, general question of 'do we do the bad?' to which the answer is 'oh no, we totally do'.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, AgentMoore.9453 said:

Okay, and then there's Tybalt Leftpaw and the entire Olmakhan culture.

This is more a case of ArenaNet writing entire species/factions as monoliths and then later trying to make them relatable either as a whole or by introducing individuals that vibe with the main cast. Nightmare Court's got Gavin. Sons of Svanir have Rojan. The Humans who slaughtered their way to power and (twice) used twisted magic to destroy their own people/nations have the player character, Queen Jennah, and about 80% of the NPCs we've met as examples of their moral variance and depth.

If we accept that sentient races are comprised of individuals, it's kind of silly to be like 'but the Krait are all evil, no exceptions' when even the Sylvari Firstborn were like 'aw look at these baby Krait, it would be wrong to kill them just because they're Krait.' The disagreement between the First and Secondborn Sylvari about the baby Krait led to the creation of the Nightmare Court - that's how heated the argument got.

But this is all way more in-depth philosophy than the OP intended which was more a simple, general question of 'do we do the bad?' to which the answer is 'oh no, we totally do'.

 

 

Take it a step further.

These are Sapient species, not just sentient.  Capable of abstract thought of intangible concepts existing only in the metaphysical.  Sentient creatures, like dogs, cannot do this.

 

However, with such emergence of consciousness comes an equal capability of of irrationality.

Bacteria never do anything to harm themselves with there very low level of emergent consciousness.

Dogs, being sentient, sometimes do dumb things but, generally, aren't too irrational in their behaviors.

Humans, being sapient, are capable of incredible self-destruction that no other species on Earth can manage.  We are capable of such incorrect and irrational thought processes with our upper level of emergent consciousness.

 

The species of Tyria that we are pontificating are generally sapient.  With this level of emergent consciousness comes capabilities of such paradigm-shifting individuality that the players would complain it is bad writing.  However, think about it.  Mother Theresa and Adolf Hitler are the same species.  

 

Now, understanding that there is remarkable differences in individuals of the same species, let's circle back to the points of inheritance of morality.

If a single species is able to exemplify both ends of the spectrum in such an extreme capacity, then what moralities are being inherited?  Or, are there other factors involved that are not purely attributable to factors beyond genetics and limited emergent consciousness, id est sapient creatures are capable of metaphysical thought.

If such external factors play a significant role, such as environment (to include societal pressures), then there is a very limited influence of inherited metaphysical rationale.  On the topic of inherited morality, is there such a thing as a species having such a genetic structure as to inherit metaphysical concepts?  Again, morality is a purely metaphysical construct that does not exist in the realm of physics (astronomical, macro, quantum).  I am not sure how metaphysical concepts can transcend into the physical structures of genomes to be inherited.

 

So, could it be that the "evilness" of a species is largely dependent on factors external to the inherited physical traits of said species?  Is it largely dependent on factors of societal constructs and historical interactions?  Are such species capable of abstract thought as an individual, id est sapient? 

Answering these questions illuminates the subject of a species being inherently evil versus evil as a matter of context.

 

I have written extensively (100+ page papers) on the topic of the metaphysics of morality.  This is kind of one of my specialty areas.  I can keep going on and on but I'll save ya'll the brain aneurysms.

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Vayne.8563 said:

I think the krait are inherently evil. We've seen grawl tribes that are good. We've seen ogre tribes that are allies. But there's no green krait in the entire game. They're known slavers. They've never been used in story in any way but as villains. If there is a krait out there that's good, I haven't seen him/her.

Friendly Krait here:

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Raven's_Revered

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...