Is "Alliance" just another word for "server"?

Nokturnal Lunacy.3186

So what anet is going to do is take everybody and jumble them up and group them up according to guilds and hopefully disperse everybody into relatively equal populated serv....i mean alliances. So they remove the server loyalty by removing the name of the servers which will now called by the alliance name. Am I correct? So what they are actually doing is just changing the names of the servers and just moving accounts to the newly named servers to even out the population and implementing an algorithm to try to keep equal population without the ability to stack serv.... i mean alliances?

So tell me, why did it take this much time to do that? Couldn't that have been done in like a few hours?

Askin for a friend.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, Exciton.8942 said:

It will be completely different matchmaking process.

Right now the matching making only happens on "world" level. After the change, the match making will occur on much smaller entities i.e. guilds alliances and individual players.

Hence why i said 

21 minutes ago, Nokturnal Lunacy.3186 said:

...out the population and implementing an algorithm to try to keep equal population without the ability to stack serv.... i mean alliances?

No.  Worlds/teams/shards are not alliances..  Alliances of guilds, solo non-aligned guilds, and solo players get placed onto a world/team/shard based on some player metrics that have yet to be nailed down.

Edited by Chaba.5410

9 minutes ago, Chaba.5410 said:

No.  Worlds/teams/shards are not alliances..  Alliances of guilds, solo non-aligned guilds, and solo players get placed onto a world/team/shard based on some player metrics that have yet to be nailed down.

Um....isn't "some player metrics" also called algorithm? And whether they call it alliances, or world/team/w/e its still servers with a different name. Call it a server or call it an alliance, they both hold a certain population of wvw am I right? Only now you're aligning guilds instead of servers together. 

World = Server = Roughly X amount of players total. In a mix of Alliances, Guilds, and solo players.

Alliance = Multiple guilds up to a max of 500 players. Grouped together so they can stay together when things get shuffled.

Guild = Up to 500 players.

So no Alliance does not mean World/Server.

Each time they "reset", they destroy all existing worlds. Then they create new worlds, and run some metrics/algorithms to match up random alliances/guilds/solo into these new worlds. In roughly similar amounts.

Unconfirmed, but rumours estimate the target for worlds to be around 2500 players (or however much that becomes in Player-Hours-Played).

We really need a sticky for this, this whole alliance vs worlds seems to confuse a lot of people.

Edited by joneirikb.7506

Alliances are limited to 20-25% of the team, which extremely limits how much they can be "gamed" by any means, since there's no physical way for players to influence more than a fourth of the population at most.

The rest of the players and guilds on the team will be completely unrelated. Though I imagine that eventually they'll be sorted by parameters such as time zone, country of origin, etc.

(Its not an unconfirmed rumor, just currently no fixed values until beta testing completes.)

Edited by Hannelore.8153

2 hours ago, displayname.8315 said:

Alliance means marriage.  I'm happy for these guilds they had to hold hands in the closet for so long now the governing devs are recognizing their love officially.

Lol now they can do it out in the open instead of in the shadows. Wonder if they'll start having nuthugging parades now in lion's arch. rofl.

Edited by Nokturnal Lunacy.3186

9 hours ago, Dean Calaway.9718 said:

In practice, yes, as much as some people try to say it's totally different, but you don't mean alliances, you mean world/team, what ever they call these new pile ups.

You're creating more confusion than is necessary.  Stop equating alliances with worlds/teams and then split hairs on semantics.  They're not the same thing and that should be made clear to players.

No one is picking their world/team.  World/teams are created from a match-making algorithm like servers when they get linked today.  No one picks which servers get linked.  Players only pick whether they will sign up with a guild or not and whether that guild is a member of an alliance of other guilds that all want to play together.

Edited by Chaba.5410

7 hours ago, displayname.8315 said:

Alliance means marriage.  I'm happy for these guilds they had to hold hands in the closet for so long now the governing devs are recognizing their love officially.

LOL!  Just wait until the jealous spouse shows up after finding some cheating going on.

3 hours ago, Dean Calaway.9718 said:

You...

Also You...

Yes, but actually no, right?

What did you think I mean by that Einstein?

Because of you...

"yes ... but you don't mean alliances, you mean world/team "

In other words you said the answer is no.  You know that alliances are not teams so stop saying "yes but".  You're just sowing confusion where none is needed.

Edited by Chaba.5410

9 minutes ago, Knighthonor.4061 said:

The sad reality is that instead of getting new WvW content, these new server match making will the justification for why we have to wait another 4 years for new WvW content

Content in WvW is constantly changing if people are actually playing.  

Maps, keeps and PvE elements are only things that help to focus people into content.  

Players make the content in WvW.  So, a new matchmaking system and a better way (theoretically) to distribute players will allow players to have consistent content.

New maps, new ‘bosses’ new instanced content?  Go PvE.

• Like 1