Flicker Step doesn't really fit?

Atheismo.5164

Overall the Bladesworn is a pretty interesting spec, a kind of merger between Warrior and Engineer. The theme is very obviously a mix of martial prowess, gadgets, and gunpowder. All of the skills fit into this theme; slashes, explosions, grenades, and a portable electric fence for good measure. All of them but one: Flicker Step. For some reason this powder-keg-warrior is able to magically teleport? What?

Now Cal explained why the skill exists and I think the why is entirely reasonable. They created a mechanic that looks like it will be very satisfying to charge up but could then become very disappointing if everyone runs away or dies before it's ready to be unleashed. The solution? Reposition while charging to keep the skill dynamic and fun. But why do this with a teleport? They already showed a kind of rocket jump ability, why not allow the Bladesworn to propel himself forward with a similar blast while maintaining his charging state? Or hell, just add some particles to the teleport to make it seem more "techy" - like a transporter effect from Star Trek. Maybe throw out a little jade tech ball that you then swap places with alongside a shower of sparks?

As it stands now, Flicker Step looks like something I'd expect to see on a Thief or Mesmer. A seemingly magical ability with no ties to technology or brute strength. I can't help but describe this implementation as ugly, or maybe inelegant, completely at odds with the theme of the spec.

Edited by Atheismo.5164
Trying to fix dark theme?
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

1) Your post doesn't really show up in the dark theme (FYI)

2) What might be better for Dragon Trigger is for you have have reduced movement (50%) while in the stance rather than be completely stationary.

3) The flicker step is another anime trope with swordsman/martial artists moving so fast it looks like a teleport.

4) The range on it really should be bigger. Like 600 range.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

That's weird.  I'll try to fix.

8 minutes ago, Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

3) The flicker step is another anime trope with swordsman/martial artists moving so fast it looks like a teleport.

Yeah I guess.  I'm not really an anime guy myself so that's kind of lost on me, I can see why it would appeal to other people though.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Atheismo.5164 said:

That's weird.  I'll try to fix.

Yeah I guess.  I'm not really an anime guy myself so that's kind of lost on me, I can see why it would appeal to other people though.

Beyond just anime tropes, to the casual observer you can't tell between sufficiently developed/advanced magic, technology, and skill. Is it really fast footwork? Is it a magical teleport? Is it a technological teleport? Any way, it looks the same.

1 minute ago, Angel Hunter D.5037 said:

Beyond just anime tropes, to the casual observer you can't tell between sufficiently developed/advanced magic, technology, and skill. Is it really fast footwork? Is it a magical teleport? Is it a technological teleport? Any way, it looks the same.

It's just what happens when you crack open one of your special Kurzick bullets and smoke it.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

2) What might be better for Dragon Trigger is for you have have reduced movement (50%) while in the stance rather than be completely stationary.

4) The range on it really should be bigger. Like 600 range.

The stationary nature of the stance and the short range on flicker step serve to allow counterplay... we are talking about a skill here which will be able to literally oneshot almost everything in this game. You even get aegis and protection while charging it to cover your health during the preparation.

The skill NEEDS counterplay somewhere. So I think it should stay stationary and flicker step shouldn't get more range.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Kodama.6453 said:

The stationary nature of the stance and the short range on flicker step serve to allow counterplay... we are talking about a skill here which will be able to literally oneshot almost everything in this game. You even get aegis and protection while charging it to cover your health during the preparation.

The skill NEEDS counterplay somewhere. So I think it should stay stationary and flicker step shouldn't get more range.

Cmc was very clear that even a fully charged dragon slash will not carry one shot potential in competetive, let alone a place where getting all possible modifiers in the game is borderline impossible unless in some chinese meta zerg having everything in the world. ..

So I expect it to hit like a gunflame, 10k tops. Maybe a bit more.

2 minutes ago, Grand Marshal.4098 said:

Cmc was very clear that even a fully charged dragon slash will not carry one shot potential in competetive, let alone a place where getting all possible modifiers in the game is borderline impossible unless in some chinese meta zerg having everything in the world. ..

So I expect it to hit like a gunflame, 10k tops. Maybe a bit more.

He didn’t actually say those exact words. He said that it obviously wouldn’t do 350k+ damage in competitive modes. I’d be willing to bet that a fully charged Dragon Slash will do more than 10k. Considering the amount of wind up and the trade-offs built into it, it should be the most damaging skill in the game.

• Like 1

Just now, crewthief.8649 said:

He didn’t actually say those exact words. He said that it obviously wouldn’t do 350k+ damage in competitive modes. I’d be willing to bet that a fully charged Dragon Slash will do more than 10k. Considering the amount of wind up and the trade-offs built into it, it should be the most damaging skill in the game.

Possibly, but it's still going to be powercreep. The very thing that gutted warrior remember? They will never allow one shot potential  and if they do, it will soon be nerfed. Another guy in the same train with us will be GS Vindicator witht he uncapped defense on GS4 retaliating dmg reminding glyph of unity druids. Unless if Strength, Arms and core warrior modifiers get nerfed instead 🤪

5 minutes ago, Grand Marshal.4098 said:

Possibly, but it's still going to be powercreep. The very thing that gutted warrior remember? They will never allow one shot potential  and if they do, it will soon be nerfed. Another guy in the same train with us will be GS Vindicator witht he uncapped defense on GS4 retaliating dmg reminding glyph of unity druids. Unless if Strength, Arms and core warrior modifiers get nerfed instead 🤪

I don’t want it to one-shot (since that would be kind of asking to get nerfed) but I do believe it should have extreme damage. I mean, look at Worldly Impact, it should certainly be more damaging than that skill (and that skill does a ton of damage). 

I get what you’re saying about us not getting nice things (and agree with your premise) but I do not see it getting nerfed to uselessness since it is 100% the defining mechanic for the new espec. That and it has a hell of a lot of built in drawbacks that will make landing it (fully charged) extremely difficult.

Edited by crewthief.8649

This is an oddball idea and I don't really expect to see it implemented, but I'm gonna post it anyway…

I feel like a good niche for a charge-up burst spec like this would be to get *close* to a total one-shot against everything without going over. A hit that's strong enough to actually make super tanky defense-saturated builds freak out without just deleting everything else. How could you do that? Make it ignore armor.

• Like 1