Catalyst, why give auras on every combo?

montecristo.1324

Compensating for the hammer not really having much aura access, I think. Earth 4 is conditional on blocking something to create an aura, and since catalyst doesn't have access to light and dark fields, the only field it can generate and finish itself to create an aura is fire... but fire hammer doesn't have any leaps, so it won't (and even if it did, fire is generally one of the less desirable fields). So they pretty much had to decide between catalyst just not really being an aura spec (which, IMO, would have been fine, people could just avoid traits that rely on auras) or giving them a means to generate them through traits, and they chose to do the latter.

It's worth noting that even WITH the trait, we probably won't see hammer catalyst doing any transmuting. Dagger catalyst, now... that could be interesting. Most dagger finishers are on water and earth, though, so the only way you'd be able to get extra transmutes off that I can see would be going D/D, using Frozen Burst to trigger a Frost Aura, and then transmuting it. Which is cute, but not an interaction I see breaking the meta.

• Like 4

On 9/19/2021 at 7:47 AM, montecristo.1324 said:

Why give the aura on every combo?

There are combo that give you auras, use them...

I mean core game was engaging because you had to play well with your fields and combo to succeed, now it seems that the devs are pushing to dumb down the game...

Didn't hear this complain with : firebrand, dragonhunter, scourge, core necro, condi mirage etc etc etc

• Haha 3
  • Confused 3

I think it would also be interesting to ask: Why aura? Isn't tempest the aura master? Was it necessary to introduce a second e-spec that lay aoes via F skill and spread elemental auras, with a set of trait dedicated to auras?

4 hours ago, Arheundel.6451 said:

Didn't hear this complain with : firebrand, dragonhunter, scourge, core necro, condi mirage etc etc etc

I did, I start hearing it with tempest at HoT launch. Core elementalist were like: "Anet! Are you dumbing down ele with slow attunment rotation to please the casuals?"

It should of been on the arcain line years ago and there needs to be more on combo effects but anet took that away. So it is confusing why they would just add it back but that it and not go full ham and make cat a full combo class. Cat should give boons base off of your atument when you combo replacing the old fury on fire field blasting. Cat should also give an "added" effect base off of atument when they combo such as healing give out barrier super speed and aoe daze. Cat should also apply soft cc and condi dmg base off of atument when they combo.

The traits cat has now seem very "off" for being a combo class. Maybe at a lator date we will see reworks for these traits as they feel very place holders type.

Also no earth field makes me super sad for "combos" is it that hard to add in a new field type but easy to add in a new F5? They could of truly made something uniquent for ele and the game here with an earth field but we are locked to a poison field that most of the time feels like its combos are place holder effects. If your leap is the same thing as the blast then there is something wrong.

Edited by Jski.6180

Tomorrow we'll see if it actually is viable in PVP/WVW to run auras on a catalyst. For PVE the auras only buff your DPS via traits (Empowering Auras) so it's a lot of work just for possibly minimal gains.

I think if you're going for DPS it will probably be condi fire + earth  (so you get fire aura on attunement swap), with water being the main power attunement if you run hammer as a weapon. The only thing new is you can camp water attunement and do mediocre DPS, the autoattack is listed ~800 per hit with 0.5 second activation.

The leaps and blasts on hammer are on 20s+ cooldowns so it isn't all that attractive I think. Scepter mainhand has a 6s cooldown blast finisher.

* Crashing Font (hammer 4) 20s cooldown leap on water (compared to 18s base cooldown earthen rush / dagger 3 for dagger in earth attunement)

* Molten End (hammer 5) , 25s cooldown blast on fire

* Shock Blast  (hammer 5) , 25s cooldown blast on air

* Ground Pound (hammer 5), 30s cooldown blast on earth

Edited by Infusion.7149

4 minutes ago, Infusion.7149 said:

Tomorrow we'll see if it actually is viable in PVP/WVW to run auras on a catalyst. For PVE the auras only buff your DPS via traits (Empowering Auras) so it's a lot of work just for possibly minimal gains.

I think if you're going for DPS it will probably be condi fire + earth  (so you get fire aura on attunement swap), with water being the main power attunement if you run hammer as a weapon. The only thing new is you can camp water attunement and do mediocre DPS, the autoattack is listed ~800 per hit with 0.5 second activation.

The leaps and blasts on hammer are on 20s+ cooldowns so it isn't all that attractive I think. Scepter mainhand has a 6s cooldown blast finisher.

* Crashing Font (hammer 4) 20s cooldown leap on water

* Molten End (hammer 5) , 25s cooldown blast on fire

* Shock Blast  (hammer 5) , 25s cooldown blast on air

* Ground Pound (hammer 5), 30s cooldown blast on earth

I am thinking http://en.gw2skills.net/editor/?PGwAYh3lNwwYjMLGKOUTrA-zVJYjRdfZkUqkaV47s0+mF-w

For cat line 1 or 3, 3 ,3 for a full support build the rune set is a bit in question but i think your going to need the added kick to healing power to make it work.

The delay on staff blast and the "any type of fields" (fire most of the time hehe) will let you have time to swap atuments and get auras as needed. That and you will have 1 tranmucation something hammer is missing and a forst field that in it self is an aoe aura from blast.

I would love to see more on combo effects base off of atument and they are FAR more complex and harder to use then any other one button class effect so they should be stronger then what a class normally can do because its at let 2 buttons vs 1 button press as well as very much stop-able and very locked to fields.

16 minutes ago, Jski.6180 said:

I am thinking http://en.gw2skills.net/editor/?PGwAYh3lNwwYjMLGKOUTrA-zVJYjRdfZkUqkaV47s0+mF-w

For cat line 1 or 3, 3 ,3 for a full support build the rune set is a bit in question but i think your going to need the added kick to healing power to make it work.

The delay on staff blast and the "any type of fields" (fire most of the time hehe) will let you have time to swap atuments and get auras as needed. That and you will have 1 tranmucation something hammer is missing and a forst field that in it self is an aoe aura from blast.

I would love to see more on combo effects base off of atument and they are FAR more complex and harder to use then any other one button class effect so they should be stronger then what a class normally can do because its at let 2 buttons vs 1 button press as well as very much stop-able and very locked to fields.

You have it set to WVW in the editor so I'm going to assume it's for WVW. The problem with catalyst in WVW is that the jade sphere is more or less stationary. The healing is not going to be on par with heal scrapper and you don't have the quickness , stealth, and superspeed. The upside of running fire attunement for fire aura in WVW is far lower because you have a 10s cooldown unmitigated by alacrity ; function gyro is on 25s cooldown while you're devoting a utility slot for a 90s cooldown glyph of renewal that does nothing while someone is up (even Signet of Mercy on guardian does something).

In terms of teamfight presence I would think that a tempest running fresh air with powerful auras would actually have more pressure because people are limited on stunbreaks and stability.

Edited by Infusion.7149

Seems to me Anet just want to make playing ele more accessible using this espec by having a little more simplicity and consistency in its design. Frankly, that's a nice change of pace on a class that has the most actions of any class in the game with little consistency on where to get auras, fields and blast finishers. 

Edited by Obtena.7952
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

11 hours ago, Infusion.7149 said:

You have it set to WVW in the editor so I'm going to assume it's for WVW. The problem with catalyst in WVW is that the jade sphere is more or less stationary. The healing is not going to be on par with heal scrapper and you don't have the quickness , stealth, and superspeed. The upside of running fire attunement for fire aura in WVW is far lower because you have a 10s cooldown unmitigated by alacrity ; function gyro is on 25s cooldown while you're devoting a utility slot for a 90s cooldown glyph of renewal that does nothing while someone is up (even Signet of Mercy on guardian does something).

In terms of teamfight presence I would think that a tempest running fresh air with powerful auras would actually have more pressure because people are limited on stunbreaks and stability.

That is the cure of tempest atm scraper dose it better sadly. You would be shocked how well pulsing effects are vs one burst effect being able to quickness for 5-20 ppl as they run though your effect for 2 sec effect can work out to be better then perma quickness for just 5 ppl. A cat being able to get auras off of combos base off of your atument is very big i would also like to see more combo for cat over all and effect like that are FAR more harder to use then any 1 skill.