cany buy gems

rivnic.3574

Same I cannot buy them unless I buy a gem card.  I wonder why?  I would imagine whatever they use to complete the purchase must look shady to our banks so they deny them.  That's my theory anyway.  I don't have issues buying expansions and the like off of their website.  So why can't we just buy gems there?  Just seems like that doesn't cause issues when trying to support the game.

Edited by PMoneyMobileRobot.4630

7 hours ago, PMoneyMobileRobot.4630 said:

Same I cannot buy them unless I buy a gem card.  I wonder why?  I would imagine whatever they use to complete the purchase must look shady to our banks so they deny them.  That's my theory anyway.  I don't have issues buying expansions and the like off of their website.  So why can't we just buy gems there?  Just seems like that doesn't cause issues when trying to support the game.

Both the buy.guildwars2.com and the in-game store uses DigitalRiver as e-commerce partner for the transactions. DigitalRiver is a well-known and established e-commerce partner. They also use automated checks trying to prevent fraudulent transactions and here it usually goes wrong. Non-fraudulent transactions get incorrectly flagged for possible fraud. Also, the in-game store does not implement new additional European transaction verifications correctly.

The first issues can most of the times be solved by support. They can contact DigitalRiver for you and whitelist the transactions. The second issue probably still is not solved yet, so you may have to revert to authorized resellers if that happens to you.

4 minutes ago, punahou.3986 said:

same here 

wanted to buy the mage knight suit, but as soon as I click ok to buy, i see error and get kicked back to the beginning.

where do you buy GW2 gem cards?

In my first post I posted a link called authorized retailers. Click it and read the post to find a reseller that suits you. These are all resellers that were linked off the GuildWars2.com website, so they are legit.

4 hours ago, TheQuickFox.3826 said:

Both the buy.guildwars2.com and the in-game store uses DigitalRiver as e-commerce partner for the transactions. DigitalRiver is a well-known and established e-commerce partner. They also use automated checks trying to prevent fraudulent transactions and here it usually goes wrong. Non-fraudulent transactions get incorrectly flagged for possible fraud. Also, the in-game store does not implement new additional European transaction verifications correctly.

The first issues can most of the times be solved by support. They can contact DigitalRiver for you and whitelist the transactions. The second issue probably still is not solved yet, so you may have to revert to authorized resellers if that happens to you.

Maybe they should find a new one then.  I mean a new company to handle it.  Clearly this one sucks.  All you ever see is people complaining about it.  Hell it's one of the first issues on the list when you make a ticket.  It just seems like a no brainer if you want people to give you money you make it easy for them to do that.  It's clearly a point of failure for them from a technical and bussiness standpoint.  Just saying fix your site anet.  You stand to lose money dealing with this incompetent digital distribution service.  I mean say what you will about the competition, but they don't have issues taking your money.  Apparently anet doesn't want it.  It's just a terrible bussiness model is all I'm saying.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, PMoneyMobileRobot.4630 said:

Maybe they should find a new one then.  I mean a new company to handle it.  Clearly this one sucks.  All you ever see is people complaining about it.  Hell it's one of the first issues on the list when you make a ticket.  It just seems like a no brainer if you want people to give you money you make it easy for them to do that.  It's clearly a point of failure for them from a technical and bussiness standpoint.  Just saying fix your site anet.  You stand to lose money dealing with this incompetent digital distribution service.  I mean say what you will about the competition, but they don't have issues taking your money.  Apparently anet doesn't want it.  It's just a terrible bussiness model is all I'm saying.

By now we all know that the in-game shop falls short in a subset of the cases but you know you got alternatives via the authorized retailers right? Prices are similar and you get a gem code delivered to your mail. It's that easy!

We will probably never know why ANet never went after the returning issues with DigitalRiver and the in-game store, but as individuals we're not going to change any of this. So, we can keep complaining about something we cannot fix or take one of the alternatives that do work.

6 hours ago, TheQuickFox.3826 said:

By now we all know that the in-game shop falls short in a subset of the cases but you know you got alternatives via the authorized retailers right? Prices are similar and you get a gem code delivered to your mail. It's that easy!

We will probably never know why ANet never went after the returning issues with DigitalRiver and the in-game store, but as individuals we're not going to change any of this. So, we can keep complaining about something we cannot fix or take one of the alternatives that do work.

That's the thing though if you make people go through hoops to give you money they're less likely to do so.  Why punish the consumer for Digitalriver's incompetence?

28 minutes ago, PMoneyMobileRobot.4630 said:

That's the thing though if you make people go through hoops to give you money they're less likely to do so.  Why punish the consumer for Digitalriver's incompetence?

Well, we can only speculate about that:

• Maybe they're afraid of getting more fraudulent transactions via other e-commerce providers. DigitalRiver prides itself of having blocked 10 million 'fraudulent' transactions. We all know that a significant subset of these transactions were just legit transactions by customers like us but to be real, there IS a lot of fraud out there and they will rip ArenaNet out of their gems and game codes when they can, hurting their company and the game's economy.
  • Switching to other e-commerce providers like Xolla may cost quite some development resources. We all know how limited these are. Do I have to remind you how long it took to get WvW alliances developed? And Xolla has their own issues.
  • Or maybe they just don't care. Maybe they get enough revenue via DigitalRiver and is losing some of it to issues not a problem to them. This is the least likely scenario because too many players have gotten bitten by it, including myself. But at least we got reliable retailers now in Europe, which was not the case before early this year. (Physical gem cards offerings have been dried up for years now and before early 2021 we only had online retailers that sold gem codes of unknown origin. The ones I listed participated in the official, ArenaNet gem card sale of early this year.)
Edited by TheQuickFox.3826
Iterative writing
  • Like 1