Balthazar Fight that is a no win fight

49 minutes ago, ProtoGunner.4953 said:

It seems the gw2 community is extremely adamant of protecting ignorance and people ranting be cause they are simply immune to learn stuff and instead blame the game. This developed over the years as I play games since the 90s. Remembering really bad game boy games and still I blamed myself that I have to get better instead of saying these programmers are bad and should have made it easier etc.

I disagree with this. I've argued in the past that games that depend on the maintenance of player numbers should appeal to as many people as possible. GW2's combat system doesn't. It's HARD to play because the classes, with very few exceptions, are too complex.

That's why you always see the same few classes - namely (at the time of writing): minion mancer necro and in competitive modes: ranger. Other classes are very hard to play - good players like the combat system, most players find it janky and awkward.

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

32 minutes ago, Svarty.8019 said:

I disagree with this. I've argued in the past that games that depend on the maintenance of player numbers should appeal to as many people as possible. GW2's combat system doesn't. It's HARD to play because the classes, with very few exceptions, are too complex.

That's why you always see the same few classes - namely (at the time of writing): minion mancer necro and in competitive modes: ranger. Other classes are very hard to play - good players like the combat system, most players find it janky and awkward.

Hm, with your argument with maintenance of player numbers you are right. But compare it to Vanilla WoW until Lich King. This was far from player friendly. You couldn't move while casting, the game explained nothing about all the stats etc. Still it was extremely popular back then. 

On 9/21/2021 at 12:36 AM, Jukhy.2431 said:

The Balthazar fights are the hardest in the story since he is the main villain and a god of war and challenge. There is no shame in asking for help. I've helped many guildies with the unwinnable Balth fight and even some who asked help in /map chat.
If you try to solo everything in MMO game then you will have hard time. For example some hero points in HoT are not meant to be soloed, altho they can be with the right build.

Isn't the fight where you lose, Balth keeps you alive until he gets to 10% health anyways because he's "not done toying with us yet"? Seriously, he'll give you instant rallies several times.

Edited by Bristingr.5034

2 hours ago, Svarty.8019 said:

Not that I necessarily disagree with your assessment that many players find GW2 too complicated, but I think it has a pretty excellent reputation in terms of the feel of its combat system.  "Fast and fluid" combat is one of the things it's usually noted for along with excellent open world/casual gameplay, a free-form (non-trinity) build system, and having an RvR mode when many MMOs don't.

If you want to see combat that is "janky and awkward", head on over to ESO!

Edited by AliamRationem.5172
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, AliamRationem.5172 said:

Not that I necessarily disagree with your assessment that many players find GW2 too complicated, but I think it has a pretty excellent reputation in terms of the feel of its combat system.  "Fast and fluid" combat is one of the things it's usually noted for along with excellent open world/casual gameplay, a free-form (non-trinity) build system, and having an RvR mode when many MMOs don't.

If you want to see combat that is "janky and awkward", head on over to ESO!

Yeah. GW2 has action combat but the same thing that makes it "fast and fluid" action combat in PvP makes it more forgiving in PvE: on the one hand, bosses do have big telegraphs and animations; on the other hand, if you realize you're about to get bonked in the middle of charging some big attack, the game will happily let you dodge instead of killing you with animation lock.

35 minutes ago, ProtoGunner.4953 said:

I come from action oriented games like Devil May Cry and God of War before MMOs were even a thing and god I remember playing WoW. It felt so stiff and janky, never really got into the 'typical' MMO style. Even FFXIV felt that way. So GW2 was very welcome. 

GW1 had a more WoW-like setup and it was still pretty fun, imo, but that game's secret sauce was that every encounter was designed as team-on-team (complete with clusters of baddies often having defined roles based on the same abilities as the player classes), so the slightly slower pace came with more information to manage in terms of the overall battle flow. And you still had gameplay elements like interrupts and anticipator defenses for it.