Counterplay to thief as Guardian?

Kuma.1503

There doesn't seem to be much you can do against them in a 1v1. 

They shadowshot into melee range and blind you.

They get a brief favorable trade

They dash out of reach before you can retaliate

They rince repeat until you're dead.

My best results at fighting them have come with my flailing my weapon wildly into thin air, trying to predict when they'll open up on me in stealth. If I guess right, the thief randomly pops up in downstate somewhere, but this doesn't feel like a consistent way of handling the matchup. 

If I'm low sometimes I can bait them to greed for the kill and drop all my burst on them while they try to 2 spam me to dealth, but this feels more like the thief misplaying than a reliable strategy. 

It's hard to confirm a kill on them when they get low as well. For as many people say that in-combat stealth is irrelevant, it does prevent me from chasing them down with Sword 2 since the port requires a target. 

Edited by Kuma.1503
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Kuma.1503 said:

My best results at fighting them have come with my flailing my weapon wildly into thin air, trying to predict when they'll open up on me in stealth. If I guess right, the thief randomly pops up in downstate somewhere, but this doesn't feel like a consistent way of handling the matchup. 

If I'm low sometimes I can bait them to greed for the kill and drop all my burst on them while they try to 2 spam me to dealth, but this feels more like the thief misplaying than a reliable strategy. 

It's hard to confirm a kill on them when they get low as well. For as many people say that in-combat stealth is irrelevant, it does prevent me from chasing them down with Sword 2 since the port requires a target. 

Core and DH are easy to get a thief you just gotta time it and or guess a bit.

If they stealth keep swinging that greatsword and dont stand still.

put symbols on the ground.

use greatsword 5 it will auto lock on the even while stealth.

Then when hes low teleport with big dmg.

1 hour ago, Kuma.1503 said:

Theoretically, you will never kill a thief as a guardian as it can just permanently disengage and reset. I would abuse no ports to force it into shortbow, bait the shadowstep then go for the kill and hope he doesn't know the keybind to his dodge button. 

The rinse and repeat with Shadowshot as Daredevil is pretty annoying, I always thought the blind shouldn't ever last this long either. 3 seconds at best, otherwise counterplay is really low in overall terms of all professions, if you have no AoE spam it's the easy kill for 'em. Waiting out the condition is a nono either, my best guess would be to use virtue of justice as a counter to blind if you have it traited.

In comparison to all the other dual skills, there's a lot more potential in having a long lasting blind compared half second evades since very often burst setups rest on landing one important hit before it can happen.

Edited by Shao.7236
  • Confused 1

33 minutes ago, Filip.7463 said:

Why would u avoid it? Its free kill

I'm not sure if u guys legitimately don't kno this or u guys are just trolling on thief due to ur dislike for it but a 1v1 between guards and thieves favor the guard if equal skill, guard has always been one of thieves tough counters, been this way as long as I can remember. It seems instead of giving legit info to op on how to fight a thief on guard a lot of u chose to spread ur thief bias and paint the encounter unwinnable and make the thief class out to be this 1v1 God, even though its actually not a good 1v1 class vs most classes if equal skill is in play. That's just sad, op u may want to try the reddit for actually help, can't believe I'm saying this but may be a better option.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Exile.8160 said:

Core and DH are easy to get a thief you just gotta time it and or guess a bit.

If they stealth keep swinging that greatsword and dont stand still.

put symbols on the ground.

use greatsword 5 it will auto lock on the even while stealth.

Then when hes low teleport with big dmg.

For thieves reading this, port to the guardian and keep him blinded. Don't let him kite away, and if he/she ports away to another, the fight is over.

Save swipe for more important things, and this is why improv is better, and deadly arts is better than shadow arts.

17 minutes ago, Crab Fear.1624 said:

For thieves reading this, port to the guardian and keep him blinded. Don't let him kite away, and if he/she ports away to another, the fight is over.

Save swipe for more important things, and this is why improv is better, and deadly arts is better than shadow arts.

If u port to a good guard and keep him blind he can still burst u with skills and burns in secs, if it's a dh...well gl because he's prob sitting on his traps and has cds ready to re-lay them while getting stealth and superspeed. Honestly best approach I've found is poke them with various sb skills and kite, but usually I don't 1v1 guards, I wait till I can plus a guard with a teammate.

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, Psycoprophet.8107 said:

I'm not sure if u guys legitimately don't kno this or u guys are just trolling on thief due to ur dislike for it but a 1v1 between guards and thieves favor the guard if equal skill, guard has always been one of thieves tough counters, been this way as long as I can remember. It seems instead of giving legit info to op on how to fight a thief on guard a lot of u chose to spread ur thief bias and paint the encounter unwinnable and make the thief class out to be this 1v1 God, even though its actually not a good 1v1 class vs most classes if equal skill is in play. That's just sad, op u may want to try the reddit for actually help, can't believe I'm saying this but may be a better option.

This is wrong. Guard has no way to land damage on a thief and it has no healing skill vs thief due to shelter going on full cd when interrupted by unblockable swipe. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Math.5123 said:

This is wrong. Guard has no way to land damage on a thief and it has no healing skill vs thief due to shelter going on full cd when interrupted by unblockable swipe. 

No actually it isn't, I've been playing thief for 8 yrs and only pvp in those 8 yrs and guard has always been a counter to thief. Sry but a bunch of new inexperienced guards complaining about thief being a tough match up doesn't change that it actually favors the guard when the guard is experienced.

Thst said yrs ago when the meta was completely different sd thief was decent vs guards but that's no longer the case.

Edited by Psycoprophet.8107
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, Psycoprophet.8107 said:

No actually it isn't, I've been playing thief for 8 yrs and only pvp in those 8 yrs and guard has always been a counter to thief. Sry but a bunch of new inexperienced guards complaining about thief being a tough match up doesn't change that it actually favors the guard when the guard is experienced.

Thst said yrs ago when the meta was completely different sd thief was decent vs guards but that's no longer the case.

Yes ,you have been playing 8 year Thief , mister 2017 :P

2 minutes ago, Killthehealersffs.8940 said:

Yes ,you have been playing 8 year Thief , mister 2017 😛

Wow ur trying hard, I only joined the forums in 2017, I hope u can deduct that those 2 are not exclusive. When I bought gw2 it was 89.99 cad and 2 disc's, that should tell anyone whose been around how long ago that was.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Psycoprophet.8107 said:

Wow ur thing hard, I only joined the forums in 2017, I hope u can deduct that those 2 are not exclusive. When I bought gw2 it was 89.99 cad and 2 disc's, that should tell anyone whose been around how long ago that was.

Yeah yeah ..

If you excuse me , i am waittng for Owen that 2018 , 8 years player 😛

Edited by Killthehealersffs.8940

2 hours ago, Killthehealersffs.8940 said:

Yeah yeah ..

If you excuse me , i am waittng for Owen that 2018 , 8 years player 😛

Your forum date is not the date that you started playing the game, only when you started using the forum, for example I have the 8 year title yet the forum would have you believe that I only started in march this year

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Dragonhunter is specifically built to counter thieves. The Core guardian spec is (possibly) weak to them/ is weak to daredevils, but Dragonhunter, specifically trapper DH, absolutely is not. Their traps and utilities directly address the playstyle you're having issues with. 

Core guardian was favorable vs core thief before, [due to their only unblockable being basilisk]* , but that may have changed with the adjustments to choking gas.  I haven't done that matchup in a while.

* Edit: Math reminded me we have flanking strike, never mind on that unblockable part.  Core guard matchup probably unfavorable vs thieves. DH still there though. 

Edited by Azure The Heartless.3261

3 hours ago, Psycoprophet.8107 said:

SD thief still farms guard. Back when guard could play with Valor and had some form of sustain, that was true. But it's not anymore. And funny you say inexperienced guard.

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, Math.5123 said:

SD thief still farms guard. Back when guard could play with Valor and had some form of sustain, that was true. But it's not anymore. And funny you say inexperienced guard.

Yeah sd super effective in today's meta, almost getting tired of seeing all the sd thieves. I do agree that sd is the best build vs guards but unfortunately when it comes to the rest of the commonly played classes and how the meta has been for a long while now sd isn't a very good build to play as it can't teamfight etc like it used due due to the presence of the other meta builds on the commonly played classes, its boon rips and unblockable's used to be great in teamfights where a guard was present, now with all the corrupts, aoe pressure etc it has low presence.

sPvP - always fight on point and AoE. It doesn't matter what you are doing, get off the road and drag the fight to the node. If you're in a 1v1 try to obstruct a lot when they shortbow/range weapon and if they get on you try to pop your symbols/focus blocks. If you're  dragon hunter you can pop your traps ahead of time, and time dragonmaw/dragonhunter F1 when the thief dodges 3-4 times. The thief will have to use a lot of their evades just to get through your traps. In big fights you shouldn't have a problem since good AoE damage can really pressure thieves in conquest.

That or play necro/ranger and just laugh.

WvW - group up, open field pvp is bad and always was only a few classes/specs are good in solo roam openfield.

Edited by BlackTruth.6813

From what I'm gathering Core struggles vs thief so it's best to avoid that 1v1 If possible. Proccing blind with symbols and using no-ports to bait them into shortbow seem to be the two main strats vs them?

I do try to fight on node vs thief where possible. I can normally hold/cap it for a while, but eventually lose if the fight drags on, and get demolished if they rotate 2v1 into me, provided the thief doesn't fall for any of the cheese strats i mentioned above. 

I can definately see DH being a good answer to them. I haven't played it much, but in theory, if they try to port into dragon's maw, you can spear them then pull them back in if they try to port out. Having a long ranged option to bully them if they try to run would also help. 

I'll try learning DH for a bit. Appreciate the advice. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Stalima.5490 said:

Your forum date is not the date that you started playing the game, only when you started using the forum, for example I have the 8 year title yet the forum would have you believe that I only started in march this year

Yeah , you can link your account to the GW2 Api and show that you got the "Royal Guard Outfit" and i personally to see 2 other things from the 2013 😛

1 hour ago, Psycoprophet.8107 said:

Yeah sd super effective in today's meta, almost getting tired of seeing all the sd thieves. I do agree that sd is the best build vs guards but unfortunately when it comes to the rest of the commonly played classes and how the meta has been for a long while now sd isn't a very good build to play as it can't teamfight etc like it used due due to the presence of the other meta builds on the commonly played classes, its boon rips and unblockable's used to be great in teamfights where a guard was present, now with all the corrupts, aoe pressure etc it has low presence.

The question was wether or not SD wins into guard, not the rest of the classes. Which it does.